Lionel Messi plans return from injury in January, could this layoff aid Argentina?

1 Comment

As he picked up his Golden Boot award for scoring the highest number of goals, for the third time in the last four years, in European club soccer on Tuesday, FC Barcelona’s Lionel Messi gave some indication as to how his thigh injury is healing.

The Argentinian ace expects to return in January.

Persistent thigh and hamstring injuries have plagued the 26-year-old over the last six months and this lengthy lay off may be exactly what he needs to finally eradicate the long-term issues.

Saying that, Messi is etching to make his return. Will it be on January 5 when Barca play Elche after the winter break in Spain’s La Liga?

“I hope so,” Messi said. “The truth is I have not put a date on the return. If all goes well it will be that date, but we will see what happens. I will be back when it is supposed to happen.”

Throughout his recovery, all eyes will be on Barcelona to see how they cope without their talisman. They’ll probably continue to win with ease in Europe and in the league as Messi returns home to his native land of Argentina to fully rest and recuperate.

“My objective is to return in good shape, to strengthen the body so that, God willing, I can play without injuries,” Messi said. “I am improving bit by bit — it does not hurt any more. I am starting to do things.”

And we all know that when he is fully fit, nobody can get near the pint-sized genius.

(MORE: 31 down; one to go – Updated list of countries qualified for FIFA 2014 World Cup in Brazil)

Something struck me about this lengthy lay-off, Messi has never really had this much time off in his eight-year career so far. It’s a blessing in disguise… for Argentina at least.

source: Getty Images
Messi has scored 37 goals in 83 games for Argentina. Although that’s impressive, it’s nowhere near his sensational form for Barcelona.

Heading into World Cup 2014 in Brazil, La Albiceleste are aiming for a vast improvement on recent World Cup performances. Since 1990, over 23 years ago, they haven’t made it past the quarter final stage. For a side that has won the World Cup in 1978 and 1986, Argentina have underachieved massively in recent years.

Messi’s performances in the famous blue and white stripes haven’t been anywhere near the regular masterclasses he churns out for Barcelona. A rest and some much needed down time will recharge his batteries and let him regain his form and fitness to reach his peak just before the World Cup rolls around. That’s ominous for the rest of the teams at the tournament as Brazil’s fiercest rivals completely dominated South American qualifying for the 2104 tournament, finishing top of CONMEBOL with ease.

A resurgent, fresh and hungry Messi captaining Argentina can only be a good thing. One other thing, every time a World Cup has taken place in South America or Mexico, a side from South America has won the tournament.

Uruguay lifted the Jules Rimet trophy in 1930 when it was hold in their homeland and they won it again in 1950 when it was held in Brazil. In 1962 Brazil won the famous trophy when Chile hosted the showpiece event and they won it again in 1970 when Mexico was the host. The Argentina won the trophy in 1978 in Argentina and again in Mexico in 1986.

All signs point towards a South American side winning the World Cup this summer. Messi’s rest over the winter means he will recharged and ready to lead Argentina’s charge for their third World Cup trophy.

Salah beats De Bruyne to win PFA Player of the Year award

Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

LONDON (AP) Mohamed Salah has been voted Player of the Year by his fellow professionals in English football in recognition of an incredible scoring return to the Premier League with Liverpool.

[ MORE: Man United reach FA Cup final | Chelsea join them ]

The Egypt forward collected the Professional Footballers’ Association award at a ceremony in London on Sunday, two days before Liverpool’s Champions League semifinal first leg against Roma.

It is a reunion with the Italian club he left in the offseason for 42 million euros (then $47 million). The hefty fee appeared to be a gamble for Liverpool but now represents a real bargain.

The former Chelsea player has scored 41 goals in 46 appearances in all competitions for Liverpool – enabling him to beat Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne in second place to the PFA award.

Tottenham striker Harry Kane was third.

[ MORE: Man City thrash Swansea in pursuit of points record ]

“It’s a big honor,” Salah said. “I’ve worked hard and I’m very happy to win it.”

Salah is preparing to lead Egypt into its first World Cup in 28 years and he is the first player from the North African nation to win English football’s top individual prize.

“Hopefully I’m not the last one,” he said. “I’m very proud to win and I’ve worked very hard.”

Salah’s impact has been more remarkable given his underwhelming 2014-15 season at Chelsea before being offloaded by then-manager Jose Mourinho. He went on loan to Fiorentina in early 2015 and Roma in 2016, and then on a permanent basis to Roma in August 2016.

Scoring 15 goals and setting up 11 more for Roma convinced Liverpool to bring Salah back to a second spell in England.

[ MORE: Liverpool draw West Brom in final tune-up before UCL semis ]

His goal at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday was his 31st in the league this season, tying the scoring record in a 38-game campaign held by Cristiano Ronaldo, Alan Shearer and Luis Suarez.

Suarez was the last Liverpool player to be crowned player of the year by the PFA in 2014 before moving to Barcelona.

It’s a sign of his remarkable impact that Salah secured the award with third-place Liverpool and that none of Manchester City’s newly crowned champions won the accolade.

But City winger Leroy Sane was voted PFA Young Player of the Year.

The PFA women’s player award went to Chelsea forward Fran Kirby, while Lauren Hemp of Bristol City secured the young player prize.

CONCACAF cancels women’s U-17 tournament due to violence

CONCACAF
Leave a comment

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) CONCACAF has canceled the rest of its 2018 Women’s Under-17 Championship following violence in Managua, Nicaragua, where the tournament began Thursday.

The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football made the announcement Sunday. The tournament was to have determined the region’s qualifiers for the Under-17 World Cup in Uruguay, which starts Nov. 13.

More than two dozen people have been killed since Wednesday according to the independent Nicaraguan Human Rights Center, though the government had acknowledged only nine dead. Dozens of shops in Managua were looted during protests and disturbances sparked by government social security reforms.

The U.S. opened Friday with a 4-0 win over Costa Rica and had been scheduled to play Bermuda on Sunday and Canada on Tuesday.

The 2 Robbies: “Wenger was the Guardiola of his day”

Mark Kerton/PA via AP
Leave a comment

Robbie Mustoe and Robbie Earle discuss the shock news of Arsene Wenger announcing he will stand down at the end of the season and celebrate the living legend’s career, while also exploring who will take this massive job, then finish up talking about the FA Cup semifinal results.

Join Earle & Mustoe on The 2 Robbies Football Show, Saturdays at 5pm ET. Listen on the NBCSports Radio App and call 855-323-4622 in the U.S. for lively passionate debate.

All of the The 2 Robbies content can be accessed by clicking on this link:

Click here for The 2 Robbies archive ]

Follow them on Twitter @The2Robbies

Juventus 0-1 Napoli: Serie A title race back on… again

Alessandro Di Marco/ANSA via AP
Leave a comment

This season’s scudetto race has been very much on, all but over, back on, a mere formality and now, following Sunday’s clash between first- and second-place Juventus and Napoli, on again… all inside the last four or five weeks of this roller-coaster Serie A season.

[ MORE: Man United reach FA Cup final | Chelsea join them ]

Some will say that Juventus have regressed as the majority of their stars are now on the wrong side of 30, while others will say that a young and always-improving Napoli side has closed the gap all on their own and pulled themselves onto level footing with the six-time defending champions. The all-knowing among us will say it’s all of the above.

[ MORE: Barcelona hammer Sevilla to lift 4th straight Copa del Rey ]

For 89 minutes, Saturday’s clash at the Allianz Stadium appeared to be the final nail in Napoli’s coffin, as Maurizio Sarri’s side found themselves hopelessly blunted and unable to break through Juve’s ultra-defensive foundation (4 shots, o on target for Juve over 90 minutes). Kalidou Koulibaly’s thunderous header from Jose Callejon’s corner kick changed all of that, and drew Gli Azzurri to within a single point of Juve with four games left to play.

It’s the first time Juve have lost in league play since Nov. 19 (17 wins in 20 games) and their first league defeat at home since Oct. 14 (10 wins in 11 games, outscoring opponents by a combined 28-3). Napoli are now unbeaten in their last 30 league games away from home (24 wins), dating back to the last time they visited Juventus, Oct. 29, 2016.

Still on Juve’s remaining schedule: trips to take on fifth-place Inter Milan and third-place Roma. As for Napoli, they’ll take on eighth-, ninth- and 10th-place Sampdoria, Fiorentina and Torino, respectively, as well as 16th-place Crotone.

(Ever so slight) Advantage, Napoli?