Limited but talented, Michael Carrick's virtues are the subject of a constant debate around Manchester United's midfield. The England international, however, is less of a problem than the players who have been chosen to play around him. (Photo: Getty Images)

Michael Carrick extends Manchester United contract until June 2015

Leave a comment

Manchester United’s faith in continuity and familiarity was once again showcased on Friday, as midfielder Michael Carrick signed a contract extension.

The England international has penned a deal until June 2015, with an option of a further year, which could take his total time playing for the Red Devils past 10 years. Not many players can say that.

Since arriving from Tottenham Hotspur for $21 million back in 2006, Carrick’s patient passing a calmness in the engine room has typified United’s dominance on the Premier League. The 32-year-old has won five PL titles, one League Cup, a FIFA World Club Cup and a UEFA Champions League trophy so far and is delighted to be extending his stay at Old Trafford.

“It is great to extend my contract at this great club,” Carrick said. “I am really enjoying my football.  The club has gone through a few changes and working under David Moyes has been fantastic. I have won many trophies in my years playing here and I am looking forward to achieving more in the future.”

Often a scapegoat for fans of United and England, Carrick goes about his job with minimal fuss and isn’t one to blow his own trumpet. The Newcastle born midfielder is one of those players that when he’s missing from the side, you realize just how good he is. Linking defense with midfield with accurate passing and always wanting to be on the ball, Carrick cleans up tidily in front of United’s back four and should never be underestimate. He does the job others don’t want to do, and does it extremely well.

At United he is highly regarded and made the 2012-13 PFA Team of the Season, was nominated for the Player of the Year award and won the Manchester United’s Players’ Player of the Year trophy last season. Safe to say, he deserves this extension.

Over the years Carrick’s been in and out of the England side as various managers have come and gone. However the United man will certainly be looking to make a late charge towards Roy Hodgson squad for Brazil 2014 and I’m sure this next contract will put his mind at ease and allow him to perform to the best of his ability. He started for England in their crucial World Cup qualifier against Poland at Wembley in October when they sealed qualification and I’d expect to see him on the plane to Brazil.

Carrick is out injured with an Achilles injury at the moment and won’t return for another month, but when he does he’ll be slotting straight back into United’s starting lineup.

Report: Manchester City makes final bid for John Stones

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16:  Diego Costa of Chelsea and John Stones of Everton compete for the ball during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge on January 16, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Take it or leave it.

Manchester City has made a final push for Everton defender John Stones, and has set its last offer at $52 million. Last month, the Citizens made the same exact bid for the 22-year-old, which was rejected by Everton.

[ MORE: Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to join Chinese Super League ]

City is said to be looking to avoid overpaying for Stones, after compensating Porto over $55 million for centerback Eliaquim Mangala two years ago.

While Stones has gone on record saying that he wants to play for manager Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, it remains to be seen if Everton will part ways with its prized defender.

NASL weekend preview: Rayo OKC faces stiff test against Minnesota

rayo okc
Leave a comment

Following a midweek loss against FC Edmonton, the New York Cosmos will try to rebound at home against Puerto Rico FC.

The Cosmos currently have two losses during the Fall Season, having conceded 10 goals in six matches, which is the second-most in NASL.

[ MORE: MLS weekend preview ]

With no unbeatens remaining, Spring Season champion Indy Eleven looks to keep its place near the top of the table against Miami FC.

Minnesota United looks to build off of its strong start against league leaders Rayo OKC, with the two teams separated by a mere two points.

Meanwhile, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers continue to search for their first win of the Fall Season against the struggling Jacksonville Armada.

Saturday

New York Cosmos vs. Puerto Rico FC

Ottawa Fury vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies

Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs. Jacksonville Armada

Miami FC vs. Indy Eleven

Rayo OKC vs. Minnesota United

Sunday

FC Edmonton vs. Carolina RailHawks

Liverpool keeper Karius to miss two months

MEYRIN, SWITZERLAND - JULY 22:   Loris Karius of 1. FSV Mainz 05 in action during the pre-season friendly match between 1. FSV Mainz 05 and AS Monaco at Stade des Arberes on July 22, 2015 in Meyrin, Switzerland.  (Photo by Harold Cunningham/Getty Images)
Harold Cunningham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

He was tabbed to be Liverpool’s opening day starter in goal, but Loris Karius could now miss the first two months of the Premier League season after suffering a hand injury in Wednesday’s International Champions Cup loss against Chelsea.

[ MORE: Real looking at Sissoko, Verratti as midfield options ]

The 23-year-old was brought to the Reds this summer from Bundesliga side Mainz for over $6 million.

Karius opted not to represent Germany at next month’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in order to avoid missing any game action with Liverpool. Unfortunately, the young keeper will now likely miss between eight and 10 weeks.

Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to make comeback

ROME, ITALY - OCTOBER 19:  Christian Vieri poses with the UEFA Champions League Trophy during the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour 2012/13 on October 19, 2012 in Rome, Italy.  (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images for UEFA)
Paolo Bruno/Getty Images for UEFA
Leave a comment

His career ended over seven years ago, but former Italy international Christian Vieri is looking to make an improbable comeback in a country that continues to attract big stars.

The 43-year-old Vieri is reportedly coming out of retirement to join the Chinese Super League, and posted a video on Twitter confirming his plans.

Last playing in 2009, Vieri finished his career where it began — in Italy — with Atalanta. During his career, the striker played for 10 clubs in his native country, while also spending time in Spain and France with Atletico Madrid and Monaco, respectively.

Vieri made his name with Inter Milan, where he recorded six straight seasons with double-digit goals. At the height of his career with Internazionale, Vieri netted 27 times across all competitions during the 2002/03 season.