Brace yourselves Florida, Beckham mania is about to hit you before the clock strikes midnight on New Years Eve.
At least… that’s the plan.
Those streamers and party hats will come in handy if Major League Soccer and David Beckham finally announce the worst kept secret on the U.S. sports scene, an MLS franchise will arrive in Miami before January 1 2014.
Beckham hopes to announce that is indeed the case sooner rather than later, as the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy star spoke about his efforts to own a proposed MLS franchise in Miami now his playing career has finished.
“Hopefully there will be an announcement before the new year,” Beckham said in an interview with Sky Sports in the UK. “We haven’t announced that it’s definitely going to be Miami yet but obviously I’ve been seen in Miami quite a few times. We’re getting the details right at the moment.”
(MORE: David Beckham has “December 31 deadline” to make MLS in Miami a reality)
In the past few months Beckham has been spotted in South Florida on several occasions and has had Bolivian businessman Marcelo Claure at his side as the two throw money, time and effort into making MLS in Miami a reality. Bringing soccer to MIA is something Becks is passionate about and with the likes of NBA superstar LeBron James stating his interest in being involved with the new franchise, what could go wrong? That’s another story entirely, as fans of the now defunct Miami Fusion know only too well. But with Orlando City recently being announced as MLS’ 21st franchise to join in 2015, a Floridian rival can help rejuvenate the Southeast as a soccer hotspot.
Becks’ is hoping his legacy will get off the ground in the next month, it’s going to be a treat to see what he has in store for us.
“I’m excited about the future,” Beckham said with a smile on his face. “I want to put back into the game a little something and if this is the way of doing it… then it’s amazing. I’m excited about that.”
Alexis Sanchez isn’t happy with his performance so far at Manchester United.
The Chilean superstar has scored just one goal for the Red Devils in 10 appearances since joining from Arsenal, and the club has lost three of those games and has been knocked out of the Champions League by Sevilla.
Speaking with Chilean media on national team duty in Sweden, Sanchez said he expects more of himself and that he’s so far let himself down. “As I am self-demanding, I expected something better,” Sanchez said. “After my arrival at United, it was hard to change everything very quickly. I even hesitated to come here [to join the national team].”
Chile missed out on World Cup qualification, and has friendlies with Sweden and Denmark scheduled over the next week. With so little at stake, Sanchez was poised to take time off from the national team, but says he was convinced by Manchester City goalkeeper and Chilean captain Claudio Bravo to stick it out.
“The change of club was something that was very abrupt – it was the first time I’ve changed clubs in January – but many things have happened in my life that are difficult,” Sanchez said. “I had asked permission to miss these games, but then I thought better and spoke with Claudio and told him that we should all be united.”
Once the international break is over, Manchester United resumes Premier League play against Swansea at the end of March before an April 7th derby meeting with Manchester City.
West Ham defender James Collins hobbled off the field in the 29th minute of the Hammers’ friendly against Dagenham & Redbridge on Wednesday, a big blow to the club’s already paper-thin back line.
With the league on an international break, West Ham agreed to play a friendly against Dagenham & Redbridge to help raise money for National League club that could be in serious financial trouble. However, it could be detrimental to the short-term future of the Hammers, who are hoping to stave off relegation, sitting just two points above the drop.
The 34-year-old defender has missed significant time this season due to injury, with an ankle injury keeping Collins out for nearly three months in 2017. West Ham has lost just four of the 12 Premier League matches Collins has appeared in this season, with three clean sheets. However, two of those have come in the club’s last three games, thrashed by a combined 7-1 scoreline between 90 minutes against Liverpool and Burnley.
The injury comes at the worst possible time, with West Ham set to play Southampton in a critical relegation matchup between teams in the in 17th and 18th in the Premier League table. The Hammers are already without defender Winston Reid who remains out for the season with a knee injury, while the club sold center-back Jose Fonte to Chinese club Dalian Yifang F.C. in late February.
West Ham was hoping to do its part to help save the London club. Former director Glyn Hopkin abruptly resigned and pulled all financial backing in early February, leaving the club fearing for its immediate future. They reportedly need $353,000 just to stay afloat the rest of the season, even with zero club debt.
Rog and Davo marvel at Mo Salah’s four goal, one dime haul in Liverpool’s 5-0 beatdown of Watford, analyze Jose Mourinho’s recent rants about football heritage at Manchester United, and recap Rog’s family trip to Stoke vs. Everton.
All of the MiB content — pods, videos and stories can be seen here, but to really stay in touch, follow, subscribe, click here:
[ Subscribe to the podcast OR to update your iTunes subscriptions ]
[ Click here for the RSS feed ]
A 106-year-old footballing relic has been snatched from a house in England.
The home of the 82-year-old grandson of former Barnsley player Philip Bratley was burglarized last weekend according to the BBC and other reports, and among the items stolen was an “invaluable” FA Cup winner’s medal from 1912.
That year, Barnsley defeated West Bromwich Albion in the finals of the 41st FA Cup, with Bratley scoring the winning goal in the semifinal replay over Swindon Town. He went on to make over 100 appearances for Barnsley between 1910 and 1014 before moving transferring to Liverpool, where he spent one season before he left during the first World War.
“This item is of great sentimental value to the family and belonged to the 82-year-old victim’s grandfather who, at the time, played for Barnsley,” the South Yorkshire police said. “The family is extremely upset that this, along with many of their belongings, have been stolen. If you have any information please get in touch so we can try and reunite this invaluable item with its rightful owner.”
Barnsley has offered to assist the South Yorkshire police in their search for the stolen artifact, as those with any information are encouraged to contact either entity to share what they may know.