Friday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Reus to Manchester United, Montoya to Liverpool

Leave a comment

Manchester United are set to make a shock move for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Marco Reus as the German international could arrive at Old Trafford in January. Reus, 24, is just the type of attacking midfielder United need to help fire their Premier League season and make a charge for the title. Former Dortmund playmaker Shinji Kagawa, who has failed to settle at United, is apparently being offered as part of the deal as David Moyes sent his trusted scouts to watch Reus in action for Dortmund in midweek.

Liverpool are close to signing FC Barcelona defender Martin Montoya, as the 22-year-old Spaniard could arrive at Anfield in January. Montoya can operate at either left or right back and will provide Brendan Rodgers with welcome competition in either full back spot. Regular left back Jose Enrique has missed most of the campaign and Aly Cissokho, on loan from Valencia, has failed to adapt quickly to life in the Premier League. Montoya will be out of contract at the end of the season, so Barca are keen to cash in and grab whatever they can for the full back.

Arsenal are keeping a close eye on Dundee United youngster Ryan Gauld, the 17-year-old dubbed as “the Scottish Messi” who we’ve previously mentioned in this column. Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton have also been monitoring Gauld but Arsenal’s scouts will be in place to watch Gauld on Friday night against Kilmarnock. The Tannadice club are said to want $8 million for the teenager after he’s surged into the spotlight in recent weeks with some eye-catching displays in the Scottish Premiership.

Following the news that Andy Carroll is still nowhere near match fitness, West Ham United have switched their search for a new striker to France as Andre-Pierre Gignac is on their wishlist. The powerful Marseille striker has scored six times this season in Ligue 1, that’s just three less than the Hammers total number of goals, and would suit their direct style superbly. The French international, 27, could be snapped in January as he’s on a list of 20 strikers who could arrive at Upton Park. The Hammers are serious about adding more firepower as they aim to surge back up the table after an alarming drop-off that’s seen them not score in five games.

Dimitar Berbatov could be on his way out of Craven Cottage as Turkish side Trabzonspor have inquired about the 32-year-old Bulgarian’s availability. Berbatov has come under criticism from many Fulham fans after several lackluster performances for the Lilywhites this season and move to the Turkish league could be in the cards for the former Tottenham, Manchester United and Bayer Leverkusen strike. Would Fulham miss Berba? Who else have they got up front?

Sergio Aguero expects to miss a month with hamstring injury

Sergio Aguero
Leave a comment

After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.

The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury. 

Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.

If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.

To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.

Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze out 10-12 weeks with groin injury

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JULY 21:  Mario Goetze of FC Bayern Muenchen in action during the international friendly match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Inter Milan of the Audi Football Summit 2015 at Shanghai Stadium on July 21, 2015 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.

The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.

Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.

[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]

Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.

However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.

Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.