MLS snow

About that radical MLS calendar shift to a “winter” league: MLS commissioner Don Garber says it’s not happening soon

7 Comments

Remember those breathless reports (creating layers of breathless discussion) about how that long-talked about calendar shift for Major League Soccer was upon us?

You didn’t buy that did you?

Because it was never happening – not for 2014, that is. It does not even sound like it was every up for serious discussion. And a betting man wouldn’t put any money on such a thing for 2015 — or probably even for a bunch of years past that.

But absolutely, positively not in 2014, Garber reiterated on Tuesday.

This massive shift may occur someday, the commissioner has long said, but it really is such a complex and radical maneuver, with more moving parts than most observers probably realize. The shift is question is this: moving from the familiar calendar of professional soccer in this country, the spring-to-fall set-up in place since the North American Soccer League was passing and trapping more than 40 years ago, to a league that starts in late summer, plays through the winter (with some kind of short break, perhaps) and finishes in the next spring.

“We will continue to look at it … to see if we can do this in the future,” Garber said Tuesday during his State of MLS address and his question-and-answer session with journalists afterward. “But that is not something we are going to do in the short term.”

Garber didn’t say so Tuesday, but the original story erroneously trumpeting that such a thing could be close to happening, was a misinterpretation of a survey that an MLS-attached group sent out. The survey was attempting to begin gauging the public temperature for such a radical shift. It was just a small piece of the ongoing research from which MLS will continue to look at this thing. So the original report of this shift, which appeared in the New York Daily News, was, as we call it in the business, some very bad journalism, the kind that mis-informs rather than informs.

Hart excited for Torino, but tells fans he ‘will struggle to replicate’ Man City joy

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 24:  Joe Hart of Manchester City waves to fans after the UEFA Champions League Play-off Second Leg match between Manchester City and Steaua Bucharest at Etihad Stadium on August 24, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Leaving Manchester City is proving difficult for longtime backstop Joe Hart.

The English No. 1 is heading out on loan to Torino after dropping down Pep Guardiola‘s depth chart at the Etihad Stadium after 348 appearances for City.

[ MORE: Deadline Day’s done deals ]

Hart needed to play, as he’s still in Sam Allardyce’s plans for England, and couldn’t wait around for a chance in Manchester.

That didn’t stop the 6-foot-5 keeper from a very emotional goodbye in his last City start, last week’s win over Steaua Bucharest in the UEFA Champions League.

Days later, the goalkeeper is trying to put it all into words, saying in a Facebook post that he will miss Manchester:

I am very grateful that Torino has given me this opportunity to play for their great club. But the feelings I felt during the recent Steaua Bucharest game will live with me forever. You can’t buy that and I will struggle to replicate them. So thank you for that and all the amazing memories.

Hart joins a Torino side with European aims, and is not the only big name loan on the books. Leandro Castan and Iago Falque have joined the Turin side from AS Roma.

Arsenal star Jack Wilshere signs for Bournemouth in shock deal

Slovenia v England - UEFA EURO 2016 Qualifier
Getty Images
2 Comments

AFC Bournemouth have secured the biggest signing in club history on Transfer Deadline Day.

Arsenal and England midfielder Jack Wilshere, 24, has signed for Bournemouth on a season-long loan deal at the Vitality Stadium.

Put your jaw back in its correct position.

[ LIVE: Every Deadline Day deal ]  

Wilshere only became available on Tuesday after holding talks with Arsene Wenger and the outcome was that he wouldn’t get regular minutes with the Gunners this season.

The England international is a star talent and as soon as he became available over 22 teams registered their interest in taking him on loan. Three front-runners emerged early on Wednesday with Crystal Palace, Bournemouth and AS Roma all keen on Wilshere.

However, tiny Bournemouth won the race in the Wilshere stakes to dish up the biggest shock of the transfer window so far.

This is a massive transfer coup for Bournemouth.

In only their second-ever season in the Premier League they have landed a star midfielder with vast UEFA Champions League and international experience.

Yes, Wilshere has a history of injuries but now he has the chance to prove everyone wrong and play in a sustained run of games for the Cherries (he was likely fifth or sixth on the depth chart in Arsenal’s midfield this season) as he aims to get his career back on track after several injury-hit seasons.

It is thought that Wilshere preferred playing for Bournemouth over the likes of Palace and Roma due to the style of play of Eddie Howe‘s side as the Arsenal academy product loves to pass and move the ball. He will fit in very nicely for the Cherries on the south coast and will become an instant hit with the Bournemouth faithful as his signing gives them a massive boost after a tough start to the season.

Nobody could’ve predict this move. The madness of Deadline Day lives on.

Leicester adds Algeria star Slimani for reported $38 million fee

lcfc.com / Plumb Images
lcfc.com / Plumb Images
Leave a comment

Tipped for several Premier League destinations, Islam Slimani has joined Algeria teammate Riyad Mahrez at Leicester City.

Slimani, 28, spent the last four seasons as Portuguese powerhouse Sporting Lisbon, scoring a career-best 31 goals last year.

[ MORE: Sissoko to Everton for medical]

He scored two his 23 international goals at the 2014 World Cup, netting against both South Korea and Russia.

Slimani said Mahrez helped with his decision:

He added: “My friend Riyad Mahrez spoke to me about the Club and about the atmosphere the Leicester fans create at King Power Stadium. I will give absolutely everything I have on the pitch for them and for my team-mates and I hope that together we can achieve something special.”

Get the jersey ready. Slimani, Mahrez, Vardy, and Musa could be a deadly bit of depth as Leicester strives to strike hard in the UEFA Champions League.

West Ham adds depth with accomplished Real Madrid back Arbeloa

STRATFORD, ENGLAND - AUGUST 31:  Alvaro Arbeloa is unveil as West Ham United's latest signing on August 31, 2016 in Stratford, England.  (Photo by Arfa Griffiths/West Ham United via Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Alvaro Arbeloa
Photo by Arfa Griffiths/West Ham United via Getty Images
Leave a comment

West Ham United has strengthened their flanks with the addition of two-time UEFA Champions League winner Alvaro Arbeloa.

The 33-year-old back played in the Premier League with Liverpool from 2006-09 before skipping town for Real Madrid.

[ MORE: Sissoko off to Everton for medical ]

Arbeloa has been with Real since, scoring six goals and making 233 total appearances. His appearance dipped to just nine last season, and he’ll finish his time at the Bernabeu with

He also was a part of Spain’s EURO-World Cup-EURO sandwich between 2008-2012.