New England Revolution v Sporting Kansas City

MLS Cup: Notes from Sporting Kansas City press conference

Leave a comment

KANSAS CITY – Most of the media members pulling into town arrived Wednesday or Thursday, so the MLS Cup event schedule more or less began today.

First up was a press conference with members of both teams. Real Salt Lake was delayed out of Utah (weather and all), but Sporting Kansas City was in place and right on time. A few notes out of SKC’s session:

  • No frost on the field this time

The temperature at Sporting Park will set an MLS Cup record for cold, and easily so. But the field should be fine … and we’ll see none of the frost that made the field a bit treacherous toward the end of Sporting KC’s (similarly frigid) Eastern Conference final series clincher over Houston. Or so says Vermes.

Vermes explained that was all about a facility crew miscommunication. SOP on MLS grounds is to water the field, to increase ball speed. But the message somehow got lost that watering the field wasn’t a good idea with sub-freezing temperatures.

“There was a little bit of a frost toward the end of the game that started to come onto the field,” Vermes said. “That’s not going to happen this time around.”

He reminded the room (jam-packed with media) that Sporting Park is equipped with an underground heating system, so a frozen ground should not be an issue.

As for the cold temps and how it might affect the players? Nielsen talked about how cold he was during the win over Houston. And he’s from Denmark!

But Zusi just kind of shrugged: “Cold is cold,” he said. “When you’re moving around, it’s no big deal.”

  • Claudio Bieler will appear in the SKC 18

It’s a little weird that Vermes would need to be asked about Claudio Bieler’s role Saturday – seeing as he is a Designated Player and all. But it’s a very legit question considering how the Argentine striker’s playing time has virtually disappeared over the last two months. (And considering that he didn’t even travel for SKC’s first playoff match.)

Vermes said Bieler would be in the 18-man game roster. Past that … ? The manager said he hasn’t decided on a starting 11.

Vermes went on to say nice things about how Bieler has adapted to the league and has scored important goals, and about how his late-summer injury coincided with some other strikers getting healthy, etc. But, clearly, something has gone wrong here. Otherwise, we’re not talking or asking about this.

  • Nielsen on a championship, and what it means

SKC players clearly respect their veteran captain, goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen (pictured above). So perhaps they will heed his words.

Nielsen told a quick story about winning a championship in Denmark when he was quite young – and about being quite sure more would regularly tumble in. Since then, he’s one just a U.S. Open Cup, which he cited proudly, but which he clearly places below a league crown on the achievement scale.

“Fifteen years later, I’m still standing on one real championship,” Nielsen said. “I’m sure that Saturday I would appreciate a championship a lot more than I did 15 years ago. Now I know how hard it is to win a championship.”

  • Teams training Friday

Both teams will train Friday at approximately the same time as kickoff on Saturday (3 p.m. locally). Real Salt Lake (which trained in Utah prior to chartering in Thursday evening) will practice at at Sporting Park. SKC will train at its usual facility at Swope Park, on the south side of the city.


  • Real Salt Lake

Report says Jason Kreis on sure track to take NYCFC job; the RSL manager just frowns

Looking back on RSL’s top moment as a club, the 2009 MLS Cup

Real Salt Lake in 2013: the “not-so-rebuilding” year

  • Sporting Kansas City

What we learned as SKC dispatched Houston in the Eastern finals

Sporting KC’s new way; the team is far more versatile today

MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Meola, Molnar and the SKC heroes

The Benny Feilhaber conundrum; has Peter Vermes finally cracked the code?

  • MLS Cup general

MLS Cup will close banner 2013 season for Sporting Park

MLS Cup first: manager who are both former players in the league

Debunking the myth of Sporting KC, Real Salt Lake as bitter rivals

MLS Cup history: the three best finals yet

Looking at how the playoff format worked in 2013

Ancelotti rules himself out of Liverpool job

Carlo Ancelotti, Real Madrid CF
Leave a comment

Carlo Ancelotti will not be the next manager of Liverpool, if you’re not so cynical that you don’t believe Mr. Ancelotti himself, that is.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Ancelotti, who this summer was fired one season after winning the UEFA Champions League at Real Madrid, has been widely reported a top-two candidate for the Premier League club’s vacant managerial position ever since Brendan Rodgers was fired on Sunday.

While he may very well have been one of Liverpool’s top choices, to hear Ancelotti tell it, he’s not interested in taking the job, nor any other job anywhere in the world this year.

[ MORE: “Super computer” predicts final Premier League standings ]

Ancelotti, speaking at the National History Museum in London on Tuesday — quotes from the Guardian:

“I enjoy my time now but, of course, I want to come back to manage – to work – because it is my passion. I want to take my time to rest, but next season I am ready.”

“Why not [return to Paris Saint-Germain]? I have very good memories of Paris, PSG, I have good relations with everyone, with Nasser [al-Khelaifi, the PSG president].

“But I’m thinking about other things and PSG has a very good coach in Laurent Blanc. I hope he will continue and shine in the Champions League.”

Of course, with Jurgen Klopp reportedly all but officially announced as Liverpool’s new manager, Ancelotti is probably doing two things by ruling himself out until next season: 1) saving a bit of face, given that he was pretty clearly not Liverpool’s first-choice candidate; 2) letting every Ancelotti-sized club know that he’ll be available come this spring and summer, just in case they’re considering firing their current manager and need a bit of assurance an elite candidate will be available.

[ MORE: Klopp expected to be named new Liverpool manager this week ]

For instance, the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City, PSG and Juventus immediately come to mind. A manager of Ancelotti’s quality will always have options and offers, and that’s something he clearly understands. Ancelotti has earned the right to enjoy a year-long sabbatical and to be picky when choosing his next job.

Report: FIFA provisionally suspends Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter, FIFA president

Sepp Blatter could, finally, be frozen out by FIFA.

The 17-year leader of world soccer’s governing body has reportedly been suspended for 90 days after FIFA’s ethics committee met on Wednesday to discuss allegations against both Blatter and his close ally Michel Platini.

[ MORE: Chung to sue Blatter ]

Reports suggest that the decision to suspend the Swiss official still needs to be formally ratified by the adjudicatory chamber of the ethics committee, but it is highly likely that Blatter will be suspended until January 2016.

Blatter, 79, has been at FIFA for over 40 years but under his stewardship the organization has been riddled with allegations of corruption as current investigations from both the U.S. and Swiss authorities continue. The longtime FIFA official is suspected of “criminal mismanagement or misappropriation” by the Swiss authorities after a payment of over $1.9 million is linked to Blatter and the current president of UEFA, and FIFA presidential candidate, Platini.

[ MORE: How will USA line up vs. Mexico? ]

Klaus Stoehlker, who formerly advised Blatter, has told Sky News that the ethics committee “made the ruling pending further investigations by the Swiss attorney general” and the verdict was “pending”  but that “no negative finding had been made against the head of world football’s governing body.” It is believed that the 90-day suspension is the maximum amount of time the ethics committee can suspend any individuals while an investigation is ongoing.

It has been reported that the head of FIFA’s ethics committee, Judge Hans Joachim-Eckert, has told Blatter of his suspension.

The leader of FIFA, who will stand down following the next presidential elections on Feb. 26, 2016, has been defiant in recent weeks despite growing pressure from corporate sponsors of FIFA for him to resign.

On Wednesday he spoke out and denied he will quit, while at the Leaders’ in Sport Summit in London another presidential candidate ,Chung Mong-joon, declared that he will sue Blatter for “at least $100 million” and believes the FIFA president and his “cronies” are deliberately sabotaging his own presidential campaign.