Liverpool's Suarez celebrates scoring a goal against Norwich during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool

Liverpool set to open contract talks with Luis Suarez, why he should be handed a blank check

5 Comments

On Friday morning Brendan Rodgers announced that Liverpool are preparing themselves to sit down with star striker Luis Suarez and work on a potential new contract.

Suarez, 26, has been in scintillating form since returning from his ban earlier this season and has scored 13 goals in just nine PL games.

The Uruguayan forward is in the form of his life and with that in mind, Liverpool are looking to tie him down to a long-term deal at Anfield. Suarez still has two and a half years left on his current deal but with the World Cup coming up and the feisty striker set to be a star in Brazil, Liverpool will be hoping he commits his future to the Premier League side.

Of course you will remember the protracted transfer saga surrounding Suarez throughout the past summer when he stated he wanted to leave Liverpool and Arsenal put in a bid, whilst Real Madrid, Chelsea and others were sniffing around. But after all that, Suarez looks happy and at home at Liverpool and his four stunning goals (watch above) against Norwich on Wednesday prove he’s at the top of his game.

“We want him to stay and, with his contract running for two and a half years, I am sure there will be something between now and the end of the season to keep him here,” Rodgers told Sky Sports. “The most important thing is that the player is happy. I think all parties are fairly comfortable at the moment. We made our feelings known in the summer and it is where it is. The only concentration now for us and Luis is to keep him playing at that level, and the rest takes care of itself.”

Over the summer an agreement was said to be in place between Suarez, his agent and the club that if a side offering UEFA Champions League soccer came in for him, he could leave Anfield. However, the club reject any notion of that ever being part of his contract, informally or formally. But you have to think if Livepool don’t qualify for the UCL this season, Suarez may be on his way out of Anfield after the World Cup this summer.

source: AP
Suarez is happy and on the top of his game at Anfield… why would he leave?

“Is his future here linked with the Champions League?” Rodgers said. “It is linked with him being the best player he can be, playing at the highest level he can. He has two and a half years left on his contract, so there will be another two years to go in the summer. That’s all there is to be said. But I just have a feeling, an inkling (that he may stay), and it is based on where he is in his life and conversations with him. His behavior, mannerisms and performance levels tell me he is very happy being with Liverpool and in the Premier League. That gives me confidence.”

One thing is for sure, Liverpool can’t afford to not have Suarez on their side. With him they have a chance of making the Champions League. He is arguably the most in-form striker on the planet right now and if he does get the chance to shine in European club soccer’s biggest stage with the Reds, then I think his legendary status at Anfield will be rubber-stamped as he helps usher in a new successful era at the famous club. He can change the game in an instant in Liverpool’s favor as players that do that are worth their weight in gold.

Liverpool’s American owner John W. Henry should not play harball with these contract negotiations. Give Suarez whatever deal he wants, just make sure he remains a red. Then, and only then, can Liverpool fans look to the future with optimism and certainty that they will at least be perennial challengers for the Champions League spots.

Suarez must stay.

FIFA disbands racism task force ahead of World Cup in Russia

PRATO, ITALY - APRIL 13: General view during the FIFA Futsal playoff match between Italy and Hungary on April 13, 2016 in Prato, Italy.  (Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images)
Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images
1 Comment

MANCHESTER, England (AP) FIFA has disbanded its anti-racism task force, declaring the work complete despite ongoing concerns about discriminatory behavior in 2018 World Cup host Russia.

FIFA wrote to members of the task force to say that it has “completely fulfilled its temporary mission” and “is hereby dissolved and no longer in operation.”

“I wish I could say that I am shocked by the decision, but unfortunately I am not,” task force member Osasu Obayiuwana told The Associated Press on Sunday. “The problem of racism in football remains a burning, very serious and topical one, which need continuous attention.

“I personally think there remained a lot of very serious work for the task force to have done – the 2018 World Cup in Russia being one such matter. But it is evident the FIFA administration takes a different position.”

The task force was established in 2013 by then-FIFA President Sepp Blatter and headed by Jeffrey Webb, a vice president of world soccer’s governing body until he was arrested in 2015 as part of the American investigation into soccer corruption.

Webb, who pleaded guilty to racketeering charges, was replaced exactly a year ago as task force chairman by Congolese federation president Constant Omari, who also sits on FIFA’s ruling council.

“We never had a single meeting under his chairmanship,” Obayiuwana said. “I wrote him, more than once, asking for when a meeting would be held. But I never received a reply from him.”

Obayiuwana, a journalist, broadcaster and qualified lawyer, received the letter from FIFA on Friday announcing the end of the task force.

“The FIFA Task Force Against Racism and Discrimination was set up with your help on a temporary basis to develop recommendations for FIFA,” wrote Gerd Dembowski, FIFA’s diversity and anti-discrimination manager.

“We are therefore delighted to inform you that all of the task force’s recommendations have been implemented and all resulting projects are ongoing.”

FIFA pointed to the introduction of an anti-discrimination monitoring system at matches, the launch of a “Good Practice Guide ,” starting a team of footballing legends and a new diversity award. Fatma Samoura, FIFA’s first female and non-European secretary general, will present the award on Monday at the SoccerEx convention in Manchester.

FIFA also told task force members that its own initiatives “actually exceed the working group’s recommendations” – trumpeting its “Say No to Racism” campaign, women’s leadership conferences and programs in Russia. There are less than nine months until Russia stages the Confederations Cup, the warm-up event for the 2018 World Cup.

The most recent research from the Moscow-based SOVA Center and the UEFA-affiliated FARE Network reported a surge in the number of racist displays by Russian soccer fans, with most cases going unpunished. Researchers logged 92 incidents of discriminatory displays and chants by Russian fans in and around stadiums in the 2014-15 season, against a total of 83 for the previous two seasons put together.

Rob Harris can be followed at http://www.twitter.com/RobHarris and http://www.facebook.com/RobHarrisReports

MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew 2-0 New England Revolution (video)

Joseph Maiorana/USA Today Sports
Joseph Maiorana/USA Today Sports
Leave a comment

The game in 100 words (or less): It was mostly the Crew from start to finish, and Ola Kamara’s brace helped ensure Greg Berhalter’s side that the team will remain in the Eastern Conference playoff chase. While the other Kamara — Kei — and his Revolution teammates were largely limited for chances on the evening, the Crew backline did an admirable job to prevent their opposition from testing them. For the Crew, it was the team’s first shutout since the two sides last met on August 20, ironically also a 2-0 victory for Berhalter’s group.

[ MORE: David Villa discusses MLS playoffs, Guardiola and more ]

Three moments that mattered

42′ – Ola smashes one past the Revs on the stroke of halftime — The Crew attack has sputtered a lot in 2016, but Ola Kamara continues to keep the team’s bleak playoff hopes intact.

67′ — Afful’s effort smacks against the post, stays out — The Crew attacked and attacked and attacked some more. Harrison Afful was definitely a bit unlucky that this chance didn’t end up in Brad Knighton’s goal.

84′ — Questionable penalty seals the points — It looked a bit soft to be given, but Kamara makes no mistake with the finish.

 

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverageStandings | Stats | Schedule ]

Man of the match: Ola Kamara

Goalscorers: Ola Kamara (42′, 84)

Watch: Dario Benedetto scores audacious blast for Boca Juniors

benedetto
1 Comment

When there’s little support up the field, what should you do?

Just ask, Dario Benedetto.

The Boca Juniors man broke Sunday’s 4-1 win over Quilmes wide open after a quarter hour when Benedetto smashed a 40-yard attempt into the back of the net, leaving the opposing keeper speechless.

The 26-year-old did just about everything right on the day, as Benedetto finished off the match with a hat-trick before halftime.

Serie A roundup: Torino knocks off Roma, Fiorentina-AC Milan finish scoreless

TURIN, ITALY - SEPTEMBER 25:  Andrea Belotti (L) of Torino and Federico Fazio of Roma compete for the ball during the Serie A match between FC Torino and AS Roma at Stadio Olimpico di Torino on September 25, 2016 in Turin, Italy.  (Photo by Tullio M. Puglia/Getty Images)
Tullio M. Puglia/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Joe Hart and Torino earned a 3-1 win over Roma on Sunday after two second-half finishes from Iago Falqué separated the hosts from the Giallorossi. Andrea Belotti struck for Torino after just eight minutes to give Siniša Mihajlović’s men the early lead. Meanwhile, Francesco Totti attempted to get Roma back in the match after halftime as the veteran striker converted from the penalty spot with 35 minutes remaining. For Totti, the goal marked his 250th in Serie A with Roma.

[ MORE: Schalke misery continues, Leipzig earns road point ]

Fiorentina drew AC Milan, 0-0, as the latter managed just one shot on target throughout the afternoon. Milan keeper Gianluigi Donnarumma was forced into five saves on the day, however, the Viola couldn’t find a way to break through the Milan backline.

Goals from Mattia Destro and Ivan Perisic cancelled out as Bologna picked up a point on the road against Inter Milan. Frank de Boer’s Inter currently sit third in Serie A, trailing only Juventus and Napoli, while holds the seventh spot.

Despite going down to nine men in the second half, Genoa managed a 1-1 draw against Pescara on Sunday afternoon. Giovanni Simeone’s opener gave the hosts the advantage just two minutes after the halftime whistle, however, Rey Manaj tapped in from close range in the 85th minute to secure a point for Pescara.

A pair of finishes from Balde Diao Keita and Senad Lulic helped hand Lazio a 2-0 win over Empoli to propel the Biancocelesti to fifth place in Serie A. The defeat leaves Empoli in the relegation zone through six matches.

Gregoire Defrel lifted Sassuolo past Udinese, 1-0, after knocking home the game’s lone finish in the 34th minute. Udinese fought until the very last minute, nearly finding an equalizer in the 90th minute when Felipe’s header struck the cross bar.