U.S. attacker Clint Dempsey reacts to World Cup draw

Leave a comment

KANSAS CITY – The content producers circled in tight around Clint Dempsey, the biggest name among a handful of U.S. internationals gathered at Sporting Park to comment on Friday’s happenings from Brazil.

One of the first questions: did he “dread” the kind of draw that fell Friday, a real thorny bunch, one that won’t make second round advancement very easy. His retort was quick … and there was even a hint of a smile, something not always seen from a guy who tends to be pretty serious.

“It’s excitement,” he said. “That’s what the World Cup is about. It’s about playing the best teams. We got a good group as far as that’s concerned. We have the quality if we play our best ball that we can get out of the group. We just have to do that, try to get the most out of every game and not wait until that last game and not needing other teams to do favors for you.

“But at the same time,” he said, “looking at that group, you’d think it’s going to go down to the last game for everybody.”

“It’s a difficult group. That’s what the World Cup is about, playing the best teams. The trick is to get off to an early start, hopefully, and try to get out of the group. After that, anything can happen.

Dempsey’s other thoughts …

On facing Ghana once again. (Dempsey was on the field in 2006 when the African side kept the Americans from advancing into the second round. And he was on the field in South Africa as Ghana eliminated the United States from World Cup 2010):

“Seems like that’s been the case, the last couple of World Cups. We have to get them back for that. We’re due a win.”

Did he and other players sit around and calculate out groups ahead of Friday’s draw (like the rest of us)?

“No. It’s going to be what it’s going to be. You don’t hope for anything, because you can’t control it. Once you know what the group is, you got to prepare, got to work hard, make sure you put yourself in the best position to get out of the group.”

Could it have been tougher?

“Yeah it could have been a tougher draw. But it’s one of the toughest groups, I think. At the same time, there’s always a worse possible scenario. But, like I said, if we play our best ball, we have the quality to get out of the group.”

Has the team’s attitude about big opponents changed over the last couple of years?

“I think so. We played against the big teams and we played some of those teams away from home. I think getting the result against Italy away from home was big. Against France, we didn’t get the result, but we got some experience. Beating Germany, even though we didn’t see their A team, they still had some big players on big clubs.”

VIDEO: Marco Verratti plays a brilliant pass to Eder for Italy goal

PALERMO, ITALY - SEPTEMBER 06:  Marco Verratti of Italy in action during the UEFA EURO 2016 Qualifier match between Italy and Bulgaria on September 6, 2015 in Palermo, Italy.  (Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Italy took a 1-0 lead over Azerbaijan through the in-form Eder in the 11th minute, but the true leg-work (see what I did there) came from bite-sized midfielder Marco Verratti.

The PSG playmaker pinged a beautiful long ball over the top of the Azerbaijan defense that fell right at the feet of Eder, who let the ball settle itself and touched home confidently past Kamran Arhayev for a 1-0 lead.

The goal is the second of Eder’s national career in just five caps, having scored on debut against Bulgaria back in March. He has six goals in seven matches for Sampdoria so far this Serie A season.

Italy needs three points in this match to ensure qualification to Euro 2016. A win would guarantee them a place in the field, while anything less would mean there is work to do in the final match on Tuesday against Norway.


Later in the match, Stephan El Shaarawy gave Italy a 2-1 lead just before halftime, his second career international goal and his first since September of 2012 which came in his third career start.

Agent: Liverpool contacted Klopp only after Rodgers firing

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 09:  Jurgen Klopp arrives to be unveiled as the new manager of Liverpool FC at a press conference at Anfield on October 9, 2015 in Liverpool, England.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

As soon as Brendan Rodgers was dismissed by Liverpool on Sunday, Jurgen Klopp’s name was tossed around as the likely successor to the then-vacant Liverpool managerial position.

However, according to Klopp’s representatve Marc Kosicke, Liverpool did not make contact with the German until after Rodgers had been officially let go.

“The first call from Liverpool came after the dismissal as coach of Rodgers,” Kosicke told Bild. “Before Liverpool there were naturally quite a few inquiries. But Jurgen always asked me not to take it any further.”

Club management was less committal than Klopp’s rep, but did say they had their eye on the German for some time. “We have learned to keep certain matters confidential. We had a meeting recently with Jurgen that he has talked about and I don’t want to talk too much about these conversations. But we have thought about him for a long time and everyone who knows football knows he is an outstanding manager.”

It’s relatively hard to believe Liverpool would have canned Rodgers without knowing for sure that a top-level target such as Klopp or Carlo Ancelotti were on board to replace him. It also would mean discussions of the contract terms and logistics would have moved at lightning speed, with just four days between the Rodgers dismissal and Klopp’s official unveiling.