MLS Re-Entry Draft: D.C. United add Sean Franklin, Bobby Boswell at the back


The only team to make two picks in the first phase of Major League Soccer’s Re-Entry Draft, D.C. United double-dipped to help a defense that allowed the league’s second-most goals. With the day’s first pick, the U.S. Open Cup champions took Sean Franklin from the LA Galaxy, and once their second pick came around, the Black and Red brought back one their down, tabbing now-former Houston Dynamo Bobby Boswell for a return to RFK Stadium.

Franklin was one of the most notable names on the Re-Entry Draft’s list, the 28-year-old’s $248,333 salary ($225,000 against the cap) making him expendable on a team that can move A.J. DeLaGarza to right back. Also able to play in midfield, Franklin looks like the likely starter to Boswell’s right, allowing Chris Korb to return to left back. For the first time in his MLS career, Franklin will be playing with someone other than the Galaxy, a team with whom he won two MLS Cups.

[MORE:  MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani]

Boswell started his career in D.C., where he was Defender of the Year and Best XI selection in 2006. The three-time U.S. international moved to Houston in 2008, eventually making 177 regular season appearances for the Dynamo. In 2011 and 2012, Boswell anchored defenses that helped Dom Kinnears’ sides to MLS Cup finals.

Together, the duo made$445,000 against the cap last season, prompting us to ask: What is D.C. getting for their money? With Franklin, they may not be getting the type of player who will challenge for All-Star (and national team) spots again, but they’ve picked up a consistent presence at right back – somebody who can fill the void created when D.C. sold Andy Najar. Franklin’s not the same kind of player, but he is somebody who can contribute in both facets of the game, something that will give his new, attack-starved team more options.

Boswell’s impact wil depend on which version D.C.’s acquired. If they get the player who was a standout in 2012, key to a defense en rout to a second straight appearance at MLS Cup, United will has addressed one of the team’s greatest lingering concerns. If, however, 2013 was a hint of what’s to come for the 30-year-old, Boswell’s return to D.C. will prove two years too late, his name adding to a growing list of solutions which really aren’t.

With only three wins last year, there’s lots of room for improvement in D.C., but for a team that only scored 22 goals in the regular season, it was interesting to see United go defense, defense. While there are number of other holes throughout Ben Olsen’s team, defense is often a place you can coach your way into solutions once you hit a talent threshold.

Today, D.C. United’s thrown at least $445,000 of their cap room at the problem. Whether the money would have been better used in attack will depend on what else happens this offseason.

Here are the full, first stage results of the Re-Entry Draft:

Round One
1. D.C. United – Sean Franklin, RB, LA Galaxy
2. Portland Timbers (from Chivas USA) – Steve Zakuani, LW, Seattle
6. Philadelphia Union – Corben Bone, M, Chicago
13. Colorado Rapids – Marc Burch, D/M, Seattle
Round Two
20. D.C. United – Bobby Boswell, D, Houston Dynamo

Sergio Aguero expects to miss a month with hamstring injury

Sergio Aguero
Leave a comment

After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.

The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury. 

Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.

If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.

To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.

Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze out 10-12 weeks with groin injury

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JULY 21:  Mario Goetze of FC Bayern Muenchen in action during the international friendly match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Inter Milan of the Audi Football Summit 2015 at Shanghai Stadium on July 21, 2015 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.

The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.

Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.

[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]

Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.

However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.

Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.