Cardiff City v Manchester City - Premier League

Cardiff City Unraveling: Malky Mackay told he won’t get a penny

2 Comments

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan is furious with manager Malky Mackay.

Following Cardiff City’s 1-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion last Saturday, Mackay discussed his desire to bring three new players into the club during the January transfer window.

“It would be great if we can bring in three quality additions to the squad,” he said. “I would look to strengthen all three departments in terms of a defender, a midfielder and an attacking player.

“I will talk to my chairman who will then discuss it with his board of directors and our owner and I will take my lead from them. It’s up to them then what financially they want to spend in January. I’ve got my lists of players whether they be targets or loans and for various positions.”

The statement seemed innocuous enough. But not in the eyes of Tan. The controversial owner turned to chief executive, Simon Lim, who drafted the following statement:

“Tan Sri Vincent Tan was extremely upset to read quotes from the manager concerning the possibility of new recruits, before he had been informed whether funds would be made available. He believes that doing so unfairly raises supporter expectations, placing unnecessary pressure on the club.

“His view is that due to the funds already committed, including the originally authorised summer transfer budget of £35m that rose to £50m in total, including add-ons, the manager has been fully supported.

“The overspending of £15 million has upset Tan Sri greatly, resulting in the removal on Iain Moody as head of recruitment. As such, he has stated that not a single penny will be made available in January.

“Having been the highest spending promoted club and the seventh highest spender in the Premier League last summer, the owner believes that the Manager has been given the best possible chance of retaining our Premier League status.”

This is not the first time Tan and Mackay have butted heads.

Last October, Tan drew the ire of Mackay when he fired the Bluebird’s head of recruitment, Iain Moody. Moody, a close friend of Mackay, was then replaced with former groundsman and Tan family friend 23-year-old Alisher Apsalyamov.

That incident prompted wide-spread speculation that Mackay’s days at Cardiff could be numbered but nothing transpired. Until yesterday. No it seems only a matter of time before this incident blows up.

But was Tan’s criticism of Mackay appropriate?

It seems odd that a manager would be given a budget and then spend more than that allotment. Last summer Mackay and Moody brought in eight new players: Gary Medel (£11.5M), Steven Caulker (£8M), Andreas Cornelius (£7.7M) and Kevin Theophile-Catherine (£2.2M), Peter Odemwingie (£2.5M), John Brayford (£1.5M), Simon Moore (£100K) and Maximilianio Amondarian (free) – costing a total of just over £33.5M (or what Lim rounds to £35M).

Tan seems to be arguing that those numbers rose to £50M due to ‘add-ons’. But how are the ‘add-ons’ Mackay’s fault? As a billionaire businessman Tan knew or should have known of the terms of those agreements and therefore the possibility that they could rise to £50M.

Next, Tan fails to consider the savviness of the purchases Mackay and Moody brought in. Medel and Caulker are arguably two of the best transfers this season with the former winning plaudits across the league for his tenacious performances and the latter being the defensive rock and the reason Cardiff won the South Wales derby. Theophile-Catherine has also impressed at right-back where he’s a consistent starter and while Cornelius has only featured four times due to injury the 6’4″ 20-year-old Dane is a highly rated striker.

Without those players it’s safe to say the Bluebirds would be in the relegation zone, opposed to their 15th place spot in the table. It’s a scenario Tan fails to take note of and one that could prove a heck of a lot worse if the season ends without Mackay at the helm.

Thibaut Courtois committed to Chelsea despite links to PSG

WATFORD, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 03:  Thibaut Courtois of Chelsea in action during the Barclays Premier League match between Watford and Chelsea at Vicarage Road on February 3, 2016 in Watford, England.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thibaut Courtois has denied reports he could leave London for Paris Saint-Germain this summer after a disappointing season at Chelsea.

The 23-year-old goalkeeper missed a large portion of the season through injury and failed to regain his top form when healthy as the Blues struggled throughout the year.

With a new manager in Antonio Conte taking over in June, some believed Courtois would be sold to allow the Italian to bring in a goalkeeper of his choice.

[ MORE: Atletico Madrid reach UCL final ]

Despite recent reports linking Courtois with a transfer to PSG that would make him the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, the Belgian international does not fancy a move to France.

Speaking to French newspaper Le Parisien, Courtois said he is happy at Chelsea and will “100-percent” be back at Stamford Bridge next season.

I have never had any contact with PSG. I have played a lot against PSG recently – twice last season, again this season in a friendly and twice more in the Champions League this year.

They are a good club who win their league easily. Me, I like playing in England. Paris is a very good club but I am happy at Chelsea.

I have a contract for three years, so I will say 100 per cent [be staying at Chelsea]. Rumours affect any club where things are going badly. People think the top players want to leave because they are not in the Champions League.

Those words show quite a change from Courtois’ opinion a few months ago, when he cast doubt over his Chelsea future.

At just 23, Courtois has already made more than 200 appearances in his career for Atletico Madrid and Chelsea. Although he did not have a standout season this year, Courtois has shown his talent as a potential top-five goalkeeper in the world and Conte would be wise to keep him.

Former CONMEBOL president has petition to stop extradition rejected

leoz
www.t13.cl
Leave a comment

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP) Paraguay’s top court has rejected a petition by Nicolas Leoz, the former head of the South American football confederation, to halt his extradition to the United States.

Leoz is being held under house arrest in Paraguay. He is accused of receiving millions in bribes and kickbacks and was among dozens of top officials indicted in the FIFA corruption scandal.

[ FOLLOW: Leicester City’s miracle ]

Leoz’s lawyer Ricardo Preda told The Associated Press that his petition was turned down, but that he would continue to appeal against the extradition.

Leoz was the head of CONMEBOL from 1986 until 2013 when he resigned, and was replaced by Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay.

Figueredo is under house arrest in Uruguay on similar charges. Figueredo was replaced by Juan Angel Napoul of Paraguay, who is under house arrest in Miami.

Cristiano Ronaldo back healthy for Real Madrid; will play vs. Man City

MADRID, SPAIN - MAY 03:  Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid warms up during a training session ahead of the UEFA Champions League Semi Final Second Leg between Real Madrid and Manchester City at Valdebebas training ground on May 3, 2016 in Madrid, Spain.  (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is “100-percent” for Wednesday’s Champions League semifinal match against Manchester City.

Ronaldo missed the first leg at the Etihad while recovering from a thigh injury, which ended a scoreless draw.

[ MORE: UCL semifinal preview ]

The Champions League’s all-time leading scorer with 93 goals, Ronaldo has not featured for Real since suffering the injury in a La Liga match against Villarreal on April 20.

Real Madrid had the better of chances in the first leg in Manchester, but Joe Hart’s heroics stopped Zidane’s side from grabbing an all-important away goal. However, Ronaldo’s absence was clearly visible and his return is a massive boost for Real.

[ RELATED: Atletico Madrid eliminate Bayern Munich, advance to UCL final ]

Even if Ronaldo is not 100-percent fit as Zidane claims, his inclusion in the lineup is still vital for Real’s success. A threat in so many different aspects of the game, his presence alone can throw off opposing defenses, leaving more time and space for his teammates to expose a City back-line that has its flaws.

Premier League chairman: Leicester City made mugs of all of us

LEICESTER, ENGLAND - MAY 03:  Leicester reacts to Leicester City's Premier League Title Success on May 03, 2016 in Leicester, England.  (Photo by Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore has been around football for a long time, but even he can’t explain Leicester City’s miraculous title run.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s Leicester coverage ]

With the Foxes now officially champions of England, Scudamore hailed the achievement as “the biggest sporting story ever.”

Speaking to BBC Sport, the Premier League’s top exec said Leicester’s run has silenced all the bookmakers and critics who said it could never happen, but that he wouldn’t want it any other way.

It’s probably the biggest sporting story ever and the biggest sporting achievement ever.

Nobody saw it coming and even when it was halfway through the season nobody said it could be sustained.

We don’t know what the future holds because we’ve all become completely hopeless at predicting anything, including the bookmakers and everybody else – because this one nobody saw coming.

It’s made mugs of all of us and that is just the most fantastic feeling.

If the bookmakers had it as a 5,000-1 event, you would imagine you should achieve these type of things once every 5,000 years. It gives us 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years of being able to say: ‘Leicester 2016. Just remember Leicester 2016.’

Pegged as pre-season favorites for relegation, Leicester defied the odds (5,000-1 odds) and claimed the most unlikely of championships. A top executive with the Premier League since 1999, even Scudamore had to admit he had a bit of egg on his face.

[ VOTE: What is the top moment from Leicester’s fairytale run? ]

Scudamore may not have believed in the Foxes, but few outside the city really did. One thing the chairman did have right though, is that we will all remember ‘Leicester 2016.’