Cardiff City v Manchester City - Premier League

Cardiff City Unraveling: Malky Mackay told he won’t get a penny


Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan is furious with manager Malky Mackay.

Following Cardiff City’s 1-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion last Saturday, Mackay discussed his desire to bring three new players into the club during the January transfer window.

“It would be great if we can bring in three quality additions to the squad,” he said. “I would look to strengthen all three departments in terms of a defender, a midfielder and an attacking player.

“I will talk to my chairman who will then discuss it with his board of directors and our owner and I will take my lead from them. It’s up to them then what financially they want to spend in January. I’ve got my lists of players whether they be targets or loans and for various positions.”

The statement seemed innocuous enough. But not in the eyes of Tan. The controversial owner turned to chief executive, Simon Lim, who drafted the following statement:

“Tan Sri Vincent Tan was extremely upset to read quotes from the manager concerning the possibility of new recruits, before he had been informed whether funds would be made available. He believes that doing so unfairly raises supporter expectations, placing unnecessary pressure on the club.

“His view is that due to the funds already committed, including the originally authorised summer transfer budget of £35m that rose to £50m in total, including add-ons, the manager has been fully supported.

“The overspending of £15 million has upset Tan Sri greatly, resulting in the removal on Iain Moody as head of recruitment. As such, he has stated that not a single penny will be made available in January.

“Having been the highest spending promoted club and the seventh highest spender in the Premier League last summer, the owner believes that the Manager has been given the best possible chance of retaining our Premier League status.”

This is not the first time Tan and Mackay have butted heads.

Last October, Tan drew the ire of Mackay when he fired the Bluebird’s head of recruitment, Iain Moody. Moody, a close friend of Mackay, was then replaced with former groundsman and Tan family friend 23-year-old Alisher Apsalyamov.

That incident prompted wide-spread speculation that Mackay’s days at Cardiff could be numbered but nothing transpired. Until yesterday. No it seems only a matter of time before this incident blows up.

But was Tan’s criticism of Mackay appropriate?

It seems odd that a manager would be given a budget and then spend more than that allotment. Last summer Mackay and Moody brought in eight new players: Gary Medel (£11.5M), Steven Caulker (£8M), Andreas Cornelius (£7.7M) and Kevin Theophile-Catherine (£2.2M), Peter Odemwingie (£2.5M), John Brayford (£1.5M), Simon Moore (£100K) and Maximilianio Amondarian (free) – costing a total of just over £33.5M (or what Lim rounds to £35M).

Tan seems to be arguing that those numbers rose to £50M due to ‘add-ons’. But how are the ‘add-ons’ Mackay’s fault? As a billionaire businessman Tan knew or should have known of the terms of those agreements and therefore the possibility that they could rise to £50M.

Next, Tan fails to consider the savviness of the purchases Mackay and Moody brought in. Medel and Caulker are arguably two of the best transfers this season with the former winning plaudits across the league for his tenacious performances and the latter being the defensive rock and the reason Cardiff won the South Wales derby. Theophile-Catherine has also impressed at right-back where he’s a consistent starter and while Cornelius has only featured four times due to injury the 6’4″ 20-year-old Dane is a highly rated striker.

Without those players it’s safe to say the Bluebirds would be in the relegation zone, opposed to their 15th place spot in the table. It’s a scenario Tan fails to take note of and one that could prove a heck of a lot worse if the season ends without Mackay at the helm.

Report: David Silva out 2-3 weeks with ligament damage

LOGRONO, SPAIN - OCTOBER 09:  David Silva of Spain is fouled by Lars Gerson of Luxembourg during the UEFA EURO 2016 Qualifier group C match between Spain and Luxembourg at Estadio Municipal Las Gaunas on October 9, 2015 in Logrono, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Despite sitting at the top of the table in the Premier League, things are not going well for Manchester City.

Star striker and leading goalscorer Sergio Aguero suffered a torn hamstring while playing for Argentina, and now he is joined by David Silva on the injured list.

Silva lasted nine minutes in Spain’s EURO qualifying match against Luxembourg, forced off after taking a bad challenge from behind. Silva went down in pain and tried to play on, but asked for a substitution just minutes later.

[ RELATED: Alejandro Bedoya to miss USMNT vs. Mexico ]

Spanish news outlet AS is reporting that Silva has suffered “lateral internal ligament damage in his right ankle,” and could face 2-3 weeks on the sidelines.

With Aguero set to miss at least a month, Silva’s injury could leave Manchester City without two of their top players in the coming weeks.

Silva has arguably been the best player in the Premier League this season, the quarterback of the City attack, which has scored a league-leading 19 goals through eight matches.

City travels to Old Trafford for the Manchester derby on October 25, which falls into that 2-3 week range for Silva’s recovery. In a match that could decide who sits top of the table, Manuel Pellegrini would be very shorthanded without Silva and Aguero.

Alejandro Bedoya to miss USMNT vs. Mexico

GLASGOW,  SCOTLAND - NOVEMBER 15 :  Alejandro Bedoya of USA  in action during the International Friendly match between Scotland and USA at Hampden Park on November 15, 2013.  (Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Alejandro Bedoya will not feature for the United States in the CONCACAF playoff against Mexico on Saturday, and has been replaced on the roster by Bobby Wood.

Bedoya traveled to Los Angeles from his club team Nantes in France, but Jurgen Klinsmann has announced he will be unable to play after falling ill.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USMNT coverage ]

Without Bedoya, Union Berlin midfielder Bobby Wood has been added to the USMNT side. Wood scored the first two goals of his international career this summer in wins over the Netherlands and Germany, and has scored four goals in ten matches for Union Berlin this season. Wood has been training with the U.S. camp throughout the week for the upcoming friendly against Costa Rica.

Bedoya has played well for the USMNT, discounting his short performance against Brazil in September. In that match, Klinsmann played Bedoya out of position against a potent Brazil attack, and he was substituted before halftime. However, playing in his more natural role as a winger or attacking midfielder, many believed Bedoya could be in line for a start against Mexico.