FBL-ENG-PR-FULHAM-CARDIFF

Report: Cardiff City owner tells manager to quit or be fired

Leave a comment

According to the BBC, the relationship between Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan and Bluebirds’ manager Malky Mackay appears to have hit a point of no return. In an email sent to the manager on Monday, Tan reportedly detailed a series of issues he has with the 41-year-old’s management, issuing Mackay an ultimatum: resign, or be fired.

A spokesman for Cardiff City told the BBC that the club “is not part to any letter sent from one person to another,” which could be seen as convenient wording (alluding to letters instead of emails). Regardless, the detail in the BBC’s report is convincing:

In a letter emailed to Mackay on Monday, it is understood Tan listed in depth his grievances with the Scot.

Tan criticised 41-year-old Mackay at length in a range of areas, such as signings, transfer budgets, results on the pitch and style of play.

The Malaysian businessman also questioned the former Watford manager’s record as a boss.

 

That transfer budget was supposed to be just over $57 million, though reports claim additional fees and commitments saw Cardiff commit over $81 million before the close of the summer window. The Bluebirds did purchase Gary Medel, Steven Caulker, and Andreas Cornelius, but Mackay and former head of recruitment Iain Moody deny they went over budget.

After their weekend win over West Bromwich Albion, Cardiff City sit four points clear of the Premier League’s relegation zone, having collected 17 points in 16 games. Their attack, however, ranks 18th in the league with only 12 goals, while the Bluebirds’ defense has conceded 22 times (14th in the league).

The tension over this summer’s spending recently resurfaced when Mackay claimed he would like to add three new players in the January window. Tan, however, said that the summer’s overspending leaves no room for new signings, a sentiment echoed in a Monday statement issued through club chief executive Simon Lim:

“Tan Sri Vincent Tan was extremely upset to read quotes from the manager concerning the possibility of new recruits, before he had been informed whether funds would be made available.

“He believes that doing so unfairly raises supporter expectations, placing unnecessary pressure on the club.

“His view is that due to the funds already committed, including the originally-authorised summer transfer budget of £35m that rose to £50m in total, including add-ons, the manager has been fully supported.

At this point, Mackay’s departure seems inevitable. Tan wants him to resign, but for financial reasons (and probably out of loyalty to a team he got promoted), Mackay’s going to try to avoid that.

Yet with Monday’s letter, the Scotsman moves closer to being able to make a case for constructive dismissal. If Mackay can assert Tan’s pressure is creating an unreasonable work experience, he can walk away from his deal while still being entitled to the money Cardiff owes him.

Between Monday’s public shaming and the private email, it’s clear Mackay’s employers are trying to make his professional life miserable. At this point, via constructive dismissal or “gardening leave,” this relationship needs to end, even if it’s unclear that would help the team on the field.

Robben extends contract with Bayern Munich through June 2018

(L-R) Thomas Muller of Bayern Munchen, Philipp Lahm of Bayern Munchen, Arjen Robben of Bayern Munchen during the German Bundesliga match between Borussia Mönchengladbach and FC Bayern München at Borussia Park on January 24, 2014 in Mönchengladbach, Germany.(Photo by VI Images via Getty Images)
Photo by VI Images via Getty Images
Leave a comment

BERLIN (AP) Arjen Robben has extended his contract with Bayern Munich for another year.

Bayern says the Netherlands winger’s contract will run until the end of June 2018.

[ MORE: Names to watch in Tuesday’s SuperDraft ]

Robben has been with the club for almost eight years, joining from Real Madrid in 2009.

He has scored 82 goals in 152 Bundesliga matches, 14 goals in 23 German Cup games and 21 goals in 53 Champions League matches, including the winning goal against Borussia Dortmund in the 2013 Champions League final.

Antonio Valencia extends Manchester United deal

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 18:  Cesar Azpilicueta of Chelsea marshalls Luis Antonio Valencia of Manchester United during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on April 18, 2015 in London, England.  (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)
Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Antonio Valencia has a fan in Jose Mourinho.

The Manchester United fullback, 31, has added a year to his contract. Scheduled to become a free agent after this season, his contract now runs through 2018.

[ MORE: Chinese club claims big bids ]

Ecuador’s captain, Valencia arrived at United from Wigan in 2009 after spending time with El Nacional and Villarreal.

He has 21 goals in 270 appearances, and has played 2,042 minutes under Mourinho. This season, Valencia is averaging 2.4 tackles and 1.8 interceptions per match.

Follow @NicholasMendola

Ten names to watch as the MLS SuperDraft concludes

http://unhwildcats.com/
unhwildcats.com
Leave a comment

After three days of celebrating its first two rounds, Major League Soccer will complete its surprise-ridden 2017 SuperDraft on Tuesday with a 2 p.m. EDT conference call.

Friday’s first round featured fewer trades than many expected, and a bit of a stunner in its first overall pick: Minnesota United tabbed UCLA attacker Abu Danladi.

[ MORE: Chinese club claims big bids ]

Danladi would’ve gone soon after, however, with most of the surprises coming outside of the Top Six. Vancouver’s opted for outside back Jakob Nerwinski (UConn) at 7, Houston tabbed Hofstra’s Joe Holland at 10, and Colorado looked to its backyard for Denver’s Sam Hamilton.

That helped Brandon Aubrey slide to 21st, while Canada’s two Generation Adidas players, Adonijah Reid and Shamit Shome, dipped deep into the second round.

It also means some very productive college players, and supposed first round prospects, could be hungry steals when the draft returns today. Here’s some low-risk, high-reward players for rounds that sometimes see teams pass on individual picks altogether.

Chris Wingate, MID, New Hampshire — Engine room feature piece at UNH

Wulito Fernandes, FWD, UMass Lowell — Cape Verde striker has flair

Jorge Gomez Sanchez, FWD, Temple — 27 goals in two years is good

Chris Nanco, FWD, Syracuse — Showed big upside at MLS Combine

Brandt Bronico, MID, Charlotte — Steadied any worries at Combine

Daniel Deakin, FWD, South Carolina — English striker great at set pieces

Russell Cicerone, FWD, Buffalo — Combine overshadowed solid four years

Christian Thierjung, FWD, California — 18 goals last two seasons

Eddie Sanchez, MID, Portland — Game changer in WCC; Can it translate?

Jordan Wilson, DEF, Kentucky — Scottish center back did well at UK

Follow @NicholasMendola

New rules crushed Chinese club’s Costa hopes

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 03:  Diego Costa of Chelsea celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea at Etihad Stadium on December 3, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

New Chinese Super League rules stopped the nation from acquiring four of the biggest names in the football world.

Tianjin Quanjian believed it had successful bids lined up for Chelsea’s Diego Costa in addition to Real Madrid frontman Karim Benzema, Monaco’s Radamel Falcao, and PSG’s Edinson Cavani.

[ MORE: Costa trains on his own ]

And Tianjin Quanjian owner Shu Yuhui says it had Falcao and Benfica forward Raul Jimenez signed and sealed before the new rules were announced. The club already has Korean midfielder Kwon Kyung-won, Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel, and Brazil’s Geuvânio on the books.

But the new rules, which will limit the amount of foreign players on a team to three, hampered his hopes. From the BBC:

But Chinese clubs will only be able to field three foreign players per game when the new season starts.

“This situation has brought a change to our signing plans,” said Shu.

“The online reports about Costa – it’s true we’d like him, and we made an offer for Cavani and were deep in negotiations,” said Shu.

So clearly Costa’s “back injury” seems more likely to be the burden of financial desires on his shoulders. That said, MLS commissioner Don Garber will crack a wry smile at the new rules.

Follow @NicholasMendola