Swansea City were hoping the persist pain goalkeeper Michel Vorm was experiencing in his knee could be tolerated until January, but with the Dutch international in discomfort throughout last weekend’s match against Norwich City, the player and club moved the planned procedure forward. As of Thursday, the 30-year-old is now out indefinitely, the pain he felt at Carrow Road deemed to much to carry until the start of the transfer window.
How long Vorm will be out has yet to be determined. According to the club’s website, today’s procedure required surgeons to “explore the knee before carrying out work on clearing any loose ligaments and fragments of bone.” Vorm’s prognosis will dependent on the scale of the ensuing procedure.
Having previously said a January operation was necessary to be able to play in the World Cup, Vorm should be able to return this season, provided the extent of the damage didn’t exceed expectations. Without him, however, there will be a major drop off.
Gerhard Tremmel, a 35-year-old German, has already made 10 appearances this season: six in Europa League; three in the Premier League; one in League Cup. With four wins, Tremmel has kept two clean sheets, saving 59.5 percent of the shots he’s faced.
The difference between those results’ and Vorm’s hint at why Swansea were hoping to make it to the transfer window. The normal Swans No. 1 has kept seven clean sheets in 17 starts, stopping 70.9 percent of the shots he’s faced en route to eight victories.
With three matches before the opening of the transfer window (vs. Everton, at Chelsea, at Aston Villa), Swansea will get a better look at what they have in Tremmel. Still, all signs points to a new goalkeeper making his way to Wales at some point in the January window.
NBC News is reporting that at least 19 people have been killed and another 50 are injured following a possible suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.
Multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials who are monitoring British authorities told NBC News that preliminary reports indicate that a single explosion took place outside the arena on the southwest side opposite the train station. The explosion occurred as the concert ended, catching people as they exited.
Soccer personalities around the world are reacting to the horrible event.
If you didn’t realize Juan Cuadrado still belonged to Chelsea, you’re forgiven.
The Colombian attacker will complete his second season at Juventus after the UEFA Champions League Final against Real Madrid, and won’t be headed back to Chelsea afterwards.
Juve has purchased Cuadrado, and the fee is $22 million, and Juve will pay it over three seasons. Cuadrado, 28, is now signed through 2020 with The Old Lady.
Cuadrado first went on loan to Juve in Aug. 2015, and has eight goals and 18 assists in 83 career appearances with the club.
Chelsea bought Cuadrado from Fiorentina for around $32 million in the January 2015 transfer window, but made just 14 appearances with the club.
Sky Sports is reporting that Jermain Defoe may head back to the south of England following Sunderland’s relegation.
Defoe, 34, spent two seasons with Portsmouth between 2008-09, scoring 15 goals in 31 appearances.
[ MORE: ‘The Moment’ of each PL club’s season ]
The 56-times capped England striker had a clause in his Sunderland contract allowing him to leave the Stadium of Light were the Black Cats to be relegated, as they were this season. He’d have little interest in dropping into the Championship given his desire to stay a part of the England squad ahead of the 2018 World Cup.
Bournemouth’s strike corps includes Joshua King, who scored the most goals of any player not on a Top Seven side this season. King’s 16 goals were one more than Defoe’s 15, though the latter scored just one goal following a brace against Crystal Palace on Feb. 4.
Antonio Conte took league and national honors from the League Managers Association on Monday night.
The Chelsea boss was named Premier League Manager of the Year and Manager of the Year after leading the Blues to the PL title and an FA Cup Final in his first year on the job.
Brighton and Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton nabbed another Championship boss of the year award after leading the Gulls to the Premier League. He also won the honor with Newcastle United in 2010.
The League One winner is Chris Wilder of Sheffield United. Wilder won the honor with Northampton Town last season.
In League Two, Paul Cook of Portsmouth was named the winner.