Spurs interim manager really, really wants the permanent job


With the gears of Tottenham Hotspur’s managerial search churning and chugging away, interim manager Tim Sherwood is pleading with the board to look no further.

In a vehement display of desire, Sherwood explained how he’s not just the best candidate, he’s the only correct choice.

Sherwood went so far as to call Spurs, the club he spent four years at as a player, “my club.”

“It’s not right to keep changing manager,” said Sherwood. “I know all about the football club. I played here, it’s my club. I know what the supporters want. I know what they demand. I know the players we have got here and I know the good young talent that is coming through the club.”

He’s also directing the board and Daniel Levy away from other names they may have been in contact with.

“They are all good guys, all good managers,” Sherwood said. “It has got to fit, the club and the manager, to be compatible. It’s not always about the biggest name. He might have done well at another club but he might not do well at this one. It is up to the chairman and the board to make the correct decision which is right for the long-term future of the club.”

Oh, and he thinks he’s worthy of a nice, juicy contract as well.

“From what I’ve been doing and my experience, I think I’d be a long-term appointment but I’m realistic enough to know that you can’t just lose games,” Sherwood insisted. “We will have to speak about long-term with the chairman – it is his decision. If it was down to me I’d be getting a 10-year contract now but football doesn’t work like that.”

Although the prospect of working under a Director of Football and chairman has deterred the likes of Mauricio Pochettino, it doesn’t scare Sherwood in the slightest. “I’ve never known anything different as I’ve never managed without one,” the 44-year-old professed.

Reports have indicated that Ajax’s Frank de Boer has little interest in the position, and both Swansea’s Michael Laudrup and Southampton’s Pochettino have publicly removed themselves from the conversation.

Sherwood hasn’t had much of a chance to show both the club and supporters his plans for the near future, and ideally he would get a few shots at impressing each group, but if Tottenham get the opportunity to snatch a bigger name, it would most likely be very hard to resist.

Tottenham will play their second match under Sherwood’s direction – their first in the Premier League – at Southampton on Sunday at 8:30am ET live on NBCSN or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.

Beckham on plans for MLS in Miami, stadium talks continue

Leave a comment

David Beckham is hoping for his Major League Soccer franchise to be run just like the club he supports: Manchester United.

[ MORE: Klinsmann sends Johnson home ]

Beckham, 40, is still working on finalizing a stadium for his MLS team to play in, more on that below, but he has been speaking about his dream of becoming an owner and has earmarked the 2018 MLS season as when his franchise will arrive on the scene.

Beckham spoke to the Daily Star in the UK about his vision for the MLS club, and says the team he came up through the ranks with and played for professional for 12-years is the benchmark.

“We want the club to be run professionally — everything needs to be run like a club like Manchester United,” Beckham said. “You have to look at it like that. Luckily, I’ve had a little bit of experience in that and I definitely will be a demanding owner. I want the team to be successful and the club to be successful, so I think I have to be demanding.”

The former United, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy, AC Milan and Paris Saint-Germain midfielder also spoke about the lengthy delays with the stadium deal and how “dealing with the political side of things in Miami has been a lot more difficult” than he expected.

[ MORE: Dust settles, questions remain for USMNT future ]

In fact, a source has told ProSoccerTalk that the proposed stadium site for Beckham’s franchise, directly next to Major League Baseball franchise Miami Marlins’ home, Marlins Park, in Little Havana, is still some way from being signed off on as many restrictions will be placed on Beckham and his ownership group before the first shovel hits the ground. Beckham himself said in his latest update that in six weeks time he hopes to name the stadium site.

However the source confirmed that any stadium announcement deal could be someway off as Beckham’s ownership group – which includes PR tycoon, agent and close friend Simon Fuller, plus Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure – still haven’t hammered out many of the specifics of a stadium deal with the City of Miami, while negotiations with the Marlins are also expected to take months before any stadium deal can be confirmed. The source added that the Marlins are positive about turning derelict land opposite their current Marlins Park home into an MLS stadium, but there are several conditions which have to be met in order for the stadium to be given the green light by the MLB franchise. These conditions include no MLS games conflicting with Marlins games, sponsorship deals not conflicting with those the Marlins have on the outside of their stadium and various other facets including transportation links and infrastructure.

Beckham's plans for an MLS stadium in downtown Miami had to be shelved.
Beckham’s initial plans for an MLS stadium in downtown Miami had to be shelved.

The source goes on to note that several high-ranking City officials and business operators in and around Miami Dade County still feel unease towards Beckham and the razzmatazz surrounding his initial stadium plan to house his MLS team on a prime waterfront location in Downtown Miami (see photo, above) next to the Miami Heat’s American Airlines arena. Beckham has since accepted that his opening stadium plan was “cheeky” but many business leaders had their noses put out of joint and many are making it increasingly difficult for a stadium deal to get over the line for the former LA Galaxy star.

In terms of the specifics surrounding a potential new home for what will now, given the delays, surely become MLS’ 24th franchise in either 2018 or 2019, the location picked is just over two miles from Downtown Miami with good links via public transport and roads. It is in a neighborhood which has a tough past but is on the up as rap star Pitbull has just built a huge academy (Sports Leaders and Management Charter Middle/High School) offering opportunities for education to underprivileged children in the Little Havana community. Along with Marlins Park, the addition of an MLS franchise would undoubtedly bring plenty of jobs into the area and help boost the economy further.

Beckham’s dream of owning a team in Miami is edging closer to realization but it seems like it’s still some way off having a stadium to call home.

Cisse arrested in sex tape investigation

Leave a comment

Former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse is embroiled in a bizarre investigation into the extortion of a sex tape.

The 34-year-old French striker has been arrested by French police who have confirmed that are investigating attempts to bribe another international footballer.

[ MORE: Klinsmann sends Johnson home ]

Unconfirmed reports from France claim that the individual in question is France and Lyon midfielder Mathieu Valbuena, a former teammate of Cisse at both Marseille and with the French national team.

According to Reuters news agency, Cisse was questioned because he was familiar with the people involved and in total four individuals were arrested as it is alleged they plotted to ask for money from Valbuena for the sex tape to not be released. It is unclear if the tape is of Valbeuna and his partner Fanny Lafon, or if other individuals are involved.

[ MORE: Dust settles, questions remain for USMNT future ]

Cisse won the UEFA Champions League with Liverpool and scored 24 goals in 79 games during his three-year stay at Anfield until 2007. He also had spells with Sunderland and Queens Park Rangers in the Premier League, while he is currently out of contract after being released by Ligue 1 side Bastia following nine goals in 41 appearances. Cisse is due to appear on the French version of “Dancing with the Stars” in the coming months.

Further reports from France say that Cisse is expected to be “exonerated” and that the existence of the video is “not proven” at this point.