Malky Mackay hits out at Tan’s antics, as Cardiff suffer big defeat to Saints

Leave a comment

The pressure is building in Cardiff and after a big home defeat to Southampton on Boxing Day, manager Malky Mackay showed the strain is starting to mount up.

Following months of speculation about his job, with the craziness of eccentric Cardiff owner Vincent Tan taking its toll, Mackay has kept his position after overwhelming support from Cardiff fans and soccer managers, players and supporters across the country.

But a crushing 3-0 home defeat to the Saints — as three goals in 13 first half minutes left his men with a mountain to climb — on Thursday highlighted the Bluebirds weaknesses and Mackay has hit out at the owner whose made his life misery so far this season.

“I’m not going to use any excuse about off-the-pitch events for our first-half performance,” Mackay said. “We seem to be washing our dirty linen in public. It’s something I feel very sorry for our fans. They should be enjoying being in the Premier League, but events off the pitch are putting us on the front pages and that is not good.”

Not using all of Tan’s madness as an excuse is admirable, as events in the boardroom have clearly derailed Cardiff’s promising start to the season which now sees the Welsh club just one point and two places above the relegation zone, after two wins in their last 11 games.

(MORE: Malky Mackay “deeply upset” by Vincent Tan’s email)

Following the Boxing Day shellacking from Southampton, Mackay was asked if the meeting he wants to arrange to talk with Mr. Tan has been sorted out yet…

Given everything that’s happened thus far, Mackay’s answer was hardly surprising.

“I do not know when I will be meeting [owner] Vincent Tan,” Mackay said. “It is not something that has been conveyed to me.”

Mackay is once again in the dark over where he stands as Cardiff’s manager. The longer that remains, Cardiff, Tan and Mackay’s season will continue on a downward spiral out of control.

Everton’s John Stones out of England squad with injury

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 12: John Stones of Everton clears during the Barclays Premier League match between Everton and Chelsea at Goodison Park on September 12, 2015 in Liverpool, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

John Stones has been ruled out of England’s upcoming EURO qualifiers after suffering a knee injury while playing for Everton.

The 21-year-old center-back has missed Everton’s last two Premier League matches, and was unable to recover in time for England’s qualifiers this weekend.

Manager Roy Hodgson has called in Tottenham’s Andros Townsend and Kyle Walker as replacements for the absent Stones.

[ REPORTS: Klopp, Liverpool making quick progress ]

England has already qualified for EURO 2016 with a perfect record in Group E, winning all eight of their matches. With upcoming games against Estonia and Lithuania, Hodgson has said he will experiment a bit with some new players, which lessens the impact of Stones’ injury.

Despite the match being meaningless in terms of a result, players will still be eager to impress the manager in an effort to lock up a spot on the final roster for the tournament in June.

Manchester United’s Luke Shaw is out for an extended period of time after breaking his leg in the Champions League, while Everton’s Leighton Baines hasn’t played since August after undergoing ankle surgery.

[ RELATED: Samir Nasri rules out a return to France squad, hints at MLS move ]

Southampton’s Ryan Bertrand has been recalled to the side, and said he will try to grab the left-back position “by the scruff of the neck.”

Liverpool’s Danny Ings was given his first call-up and Swansea City’s Jonjo Shelvey returns to the fold, although both players missed training with injuries and their status moving forward is uncertain.

Landon Donovan: Klinsmann should be fired if USMNT loses to Mexico

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 04: Head coach Jurgen Klinsmann of the United States looks on before playing Peru during an international friendly at RFK Stadium on September 4, 2015 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Landon Donovan and Jurgen Klinsmann haven’t had the rosiest of relationships.

Since being left off of the 2014 World Cup roster and retiring from the game, Donovan has often been critical of Klinsmann and his tenure with the USMNT.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s USMNT coverage ]

Ahead of Saturday’s CONCACAF playoff match against Mexico, Donovan said he believes Klinsmann should be fired if the United States loses.

Speaking to ESPN FC:

Around the world, if a player plays poorly and a player has a bad string of results, they get dropped from the team.

Jurgen said many times he wants our players to feel pressure — so if they lose a game they can’t go to the grocery store the next day. If they lose a game, they are getting hammered in the press.

Well, the same holds true for the coach, and so we had a very poor summer with bad results in the Gold Cup. The last game against Brazil was probably the worst game I’ve seen them play under Jurgen.

The reality is that now, anywhere else in the world, if this coach had those results, and they lose this game against Mexico, they’d be fired.

I think if Jurgen wants to hold all the players to that standard, then he has to be held to that standard too.

Heading into the Gold Cup this summer on the heels of some great wins over the Netherlands and Germany, the United States’ performance was wildly disappointing, losing in the semifinals to Jamaica and finishing in fourth place.

[ RELATED: Top moments from USMNT vs. Mexico ]

President of U.S. Soccer Sunil Gulati has shown great faith in Klinsmann, giving him a contract until 2018 as both manager and technical director of the program. However, pressure has been building after a string of poor results.

For Klinsmann, this is arguably his biggest match in charge of the USMNT. Not only does it have implications for the Confederations Cup in 2017, but it is also against Mexico, which always puts added pressure on a manager. If the U.S. loses, more people than Donovan will be calling for a change.