Last season, Manchester United last three games at home en route to the Premier League title, and while few expected David Moyes to replicate the success the Red Devils experienced under Alex Ferguson, United have last four of their first 10 games at Old Trafford this season. (Photo: Getty Images)

David Moyes’ “never deserved to be behind” view epitomizes his first five months at Manchester United

1 Comment

For Manchester United fans, David Moyes’ post-match sentiments are going to sound familiar, with the Red Devils’ boss going so far to say his team “never deserved to be behind” while lauding their play in Wednesday’s 2-1 loss to Tottenham.

If the New Year’s Day game was an isolated example of decent play coming up short, the explanation might carry more weight, but for a team that ran away with last year’s title, decent isn’t enough. It’s the type of standard that allows you to accept dropping points when you’re otherwise controlling games at home.

[MORE: Manchester United 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Eriksen inspires more Old Trafford blues]

For Moyes, however, the “small mistakes” that led to United’s fourth home loss of the season shouldn’t completely overshadow the good that came from his players’ effort. From the club website:

“The players played very well,” the manager said. “Their effort was terrific to try and get back into the game after being 2-0 down …

“We shouldn’t have been in the position of being 2-0 down. We’d already made a change to see if we could go for it a little more and get a goal back but their second goal was on the counter-attack.

source: Getty Images
Last season, Manchester United last three games at home en route to the Premier League title, and while few expected David Moyes to replicate the success the Red Devils experienced under Alex Ferguson, United have last four of their first 10 games at Old Trafford this season. (Photo: Getty Images)

Although Moyes says his team should have never been in that position, they got there because they didn’t generate enough chances. When Christian Eriksen put Spurs up two in the 66th minute, Spurs had more shots on target (3-2) despite United holding near 60 percent possession. Total shots were in United’s favor, but unable to generate better opportunities, the Red Devils had let the scoreboard lean decisively toward Spurs.

That’s why it’s difficult to reconcile the type of ‘one of those days’ analysis Moyes seems to be spinning. From one point of view, United did play well, especially as they were chasing the game, but that’s a view that tends to overstate the value of possession while underestimating the influence of goals (particularly the first one). United may have controlled the ball, but they trailed for over 56 minutes in a game they were expected to win.

In that sense, Moyes’ overall evaluation seems inconsistent.

“We got done on the counter-attack for a couple of goals and made a couple of mistakes,” Moyes told the club’s website, “but I thought the team played very well today.

“All you can do is play well and then hopefully you take your opportunities when they come and you don’t make small mistakes.”

Perhaps, but getting “done” on the counter-attack is not consistent with playing well. Failing to generate enough good chances is also inconsistent with playing well, as is dropping to 4-4-2 at home on the season. Perhaps this is parsing Moyes’s words too much, but if his approach forced more on generating chances rather that “[taking] your opportunities when they come,” United wouldn’t be in seventh place.

It’s a microcosm of Moyes – the heart of the tension underlying his move to Manchester United. What would have been seen as “playing well” for a team of Everton’s resources doesn’t work at Old Trafford, where the talent, recent success, and expectations of his new club demand a higher standard.

Moyes surely understands this, but it’s unclear when that understanding will translate into United’s approach. In games like Wednesday’s, playing well just isn’t enough.

Koeman “very pleased” at notion Rooney could rejoin Everton

LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 08:  Wayne Rooney of England in action during the FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifier Group F match between England and Malta at Wembley Stadium on October 8, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With Wayne Rooney‘s future left uncertain at Old Trafford, could a potential return to Everton be in the works?

[ MORE: Liverpool rises to top of PL Power Rankings ]

Toffees manager Ronald Koeman certainly hopes so.

[ MORE: Is 2016/17 the tightest PL title race ever? ]

Rooney, 31, has fallen out of favor with Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho recently, leaving the Englishman on the brink of a move away from the Red Devils.

The veteran attacker has posted just one goal and two assists in eight Premier League matches this season, leaving Koeman optimistic about a Rooney return to Goodison Park for the first time since 2004.

“First of all, I think it is a great player, and he has still not finished his career,” he said. “I do not know how his situation is, and I need to respect that situation. That’s not my problem.

“But even when we get one time the possibility that Rooney is an option for Everton, I’m very pleased.”

While it’s merely speculation at this point that Rooney will in fact leave Old Trafford this season, Mourinho’s recent tendencies of dropping the attacker suggest that the long-time England goalscorer will find a new destination.

Koeman has reinvigorated Everton since his arrival over the summer, bringing the Toffees up to sixth in the PL.

Dynamo officially name Wilmer Cabrera as head coach

Wilmer Cabrera
Leave a comment

Following a third straight year without playoff soccer, the Houston Dynamo have turned to face in an attempt to revitalize the club.

[ MORE: Valdez knocks Sounders past Sporting KC, into West semifinals ]

The Dynamo announced on Friday that the team has hired Wilmer Cabrera as the organization’s fourth head coach in franchise history, following a recent coaching stint with the Dynamo’s USL affiliate Rio Grande Valley FC Toros.

“I am excited to join the Houston Dynamo. It’s a great club with a great history, and I am ready for the challenge,” Cabrera said via a press release from the club. “I look forward to working with the ownership group, management, our staff and the players to return the Dynamo to the level that the club and our fans deserve and expect.”

[ MORE: Impact advance to face Red Bulls, dispatch of D.C. United ]

Cabrera, 48, holds a wealth of experience as both a player and manager, which includes his playing days with the Colombia national team during the 1980s and 1990s. The former defender previously managed now-defunct MLS side Chivas USA as well as the U.S. Under-17 national team.

Azpilicueta: Biggest thing is “we haven’t conceded goals” since 3-4-3 switch

SWANSEA, WALES - SEPTEMBER 11:  Cesar Azpilicueta of Chelsea and Modou Barrow of Swansea City chase the ball during the Premier League match between Swansea City and Chelsea at Liberty Stadium on September 11, 2016 in Swansea, Wales.  (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)
Stu Forster/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Antonio Conte has been called a mastermind in the past for his unconventional tactics. Now, it’s those same tactics that are making him look the part of a genius yet again at Stamford Bridge.

[ MORE: Is 2016/17 the closest Premier League title race ever? ]

Since changing his system to a 3-4-3 following Chelsea’s gutting 3-0 defeat against Arsenal last month, the Blues have gone on to win three straight Premier League matches, including a recent 4-0 drubbing of Manchester United on Jose Mourinho’s return to Stamford Bridge.

As important as the results are for Chelsea at the moment, the even more impressive aspect is the way that the Blues are winning matches. In their three consecutive victories, Conte’s side has failed to concede a goal, which has helped bring Chelsea to within a point at the summit of the PL.

Not only do the supporters appreciate Conte’s willingness to adapt and build a team that plays up to its greatest potential, but defender Cesar Azpilicueta is one of the many players that have uttered similar sentiments about the Italian’s tactics.

“I find it good. The most important thing for me is the team and since we changed the system we haven’t conceded goals in the Premier League,” he told Sky Sports.

“I try to play my part in the team. The most important part of the system is the spirit of the team and the way we work. The tactics make a difference but what was most pleasing was the way the team work made it happen. Some players have different roles now but we have all week to work on that and we have a very clear idea what to do in the game. We have different options from the attacking fullbacks now.”

[ MORE Guardiola says he needs “time to learn, to improve” at City ]

Azpilicueta has been one of three key figures for Chelsea at the back since Conte made the switch defensively, joining Gary Cahill and David Luiz in a partnership that looks hard to crack at the moment.

Report: Mexico open to hosting 2026 World Cup despite potential joint bid with U.S., Canada

PASADENA, CA - JUNE 09:  Chicharito #14 of Mexico celebrates after his goal in front of Andre Blake #1 of Jamaica to take a 1-0 lead during Copa America Centenario at the Rose Bowl on June 9, 2016 in Pasadena, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Despite some talks linking a possible two or even three nation bid for the 2026 World Cup, Mexico has opened the door for El Tri to host the world’s biggest football competition for a record third time.

[ MORE: Liverpool reaches summit of latest PST Premier League Power Rankings ]

Mexico Football Federation president Decio de Maria recently told ESPN that he and his country are prepared to go ahead with a bid for the 2026 edition of the tournament with or without any hypothetically joint bid.

“I don’t know [whether we would pursue a joint bid] but the rules are already open to it,” De Maria said. “What was agreed upon makes the path perfectly clear.

“Mexico will be in the hunt to host the 2026 World Cup.”

In addition to Mexico, the United States has been considered an early favorite to be named hosts in 2026 after losing out to Qatar for the 2022 competition. The U.S., Mexico and Canada have also been linked with a joint bid between the three CONCACAF nations, as the region looks to bring the World Cup back to North America for the first time since 1994 (when the U.S. hosted).

Mexico previously hosted the World Cup in 1970 and 1986, and is one of four nations to have held the tournament on home soil more than once.