Tottenham Hotspur FC v FC Sheriff - UEFA Europa League

Jermain Defoe’s transfer to Toronto FC nearing completion

2 Comments is reporting that a high-ranking Toronto FC source has said Jermain Defoe’s impending transfer from Tottenham is “not done yet, but close.”

What we know so far is as follows.

After featuring in 34 Premier League matches last season, scoring 11 goals and notching three assists, Defoe has been relegated to a substitute role in 2013-14. Of his 12 league appearances, nine of them have a come as a substitute, and he has yet to hit the back of the net.

Those numbers have put the 31-year-old in line for a major transfer to MLS with reports confirming that Toronto has made a big money offer to Defoe as part of club president/CEO Tim Leiweke’s plan to bring a world star to the Canadian franchise.

Despite his poor league form Defoe has proven his quality in Spurs’ Europa League run, where he’s scored seven goals in just five matches, and their Capital One Cup efforts, where he’s scored three goals and added two assists in three matches.

The recent emergence of Emmanuel Adebayor has emerged as another barrier to Defoe’s success at White Hart Lane. Since the sacking of Andre-Villas-Boas, Adebayor has joined Roberto Soldado as Tim Sherwood’s strike-partnership of choice in his favored 4-4-2 formation.

The Togo international has performed well for the Lillywhites yet it remains to be seen what Sherwood would do if Adebayor or Soldado went down. Assuming Defoe is transferred to Toronto that would leave Spurs with only the two strikers, hardly the stockpile required to survive two cup runs and a domestic competition where the goal is to finish fourth. When Defoe’s move west does go down, look for Tottenham to snap up a new striker to provide cover.

For Toronto, the capture of Defoe would be a major coup for a club still searching for its first MLS playoff run. He will likely partner with Brazilian striker Gilberto, who Toronto signed as a Designated Player on December 13th.

Ferguson still being asked about Moyes: “We chose a good football man”

David Moyes Alex Ferguson
AP Photo/Martin Rickett/PA
Leave a comment

In some ways absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it seems Sir Alex Ferguson‘s life after Manchester United has been filled with second guessing.

Whether the sales of Paul Pogba and Gerard Pique or the appointment of David Moyes, “Fergie” apparently can’t rest on his title-winning laurels.

[ MORE: Tax evasion charges dropped against Messi, but not his father ]

One thing that seems to bug him more than anything, though, is the idea that he hand-picked David Moyes to be his successor, and should be responsible for his failings.

In a new documentary, Ferguson both defends the appointment of Moyes and explains the process behind his choice.

From the BBC:

“I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man,” Ferguson says. “Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis Van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.”

The article also makes another key point, according to Ferguson: the manager claims he only gave United a few months notice that he’d be stepping down. That certainly didn’t provide a lot of lead time to secure a big boss.

What do you make it of it? If your answer is, “When can we stop talking about Moyes and United?” I tend to be with you, but it’s a talking point.

Tax evasion charges against Messi dropped; Case vs father continues

FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Barcelona F.C. star Lionel Messi, left, arrives at a court to answer questions in a tax fraud case in Gava, near Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Messi's father in a tax fraud case. Prosecutors have cleared Messi of wrongdoing but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, for allegedly defrauding Spain's tax office of 4 million euros ($4.5 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti, File)
AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi will not face charges that he and his father defrauded the government in millions of unpaid taxes, though his father is not so lucky.

Messi’s father, Jorge, could face 18 months in jail and an approximate $2.25 million fine despite a voluntary payment of $5.5 million in 2013 to “correct” the missed taxes.

[ WATCH: Hilarious spoof pegs Messi, Ronaldo as “Friends” ]

The Barcleona star had plead ignorance to the charges, something that failed to impress prosecutors. But, it apparently worked out in his favor on Tuesday.

From the BBC:

Prosecutors allege that Jorge avoiding paying tax on his son’s earnings by using offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay between 2007 and 2009.

Messi’s lawyers argued that the player had “never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing” the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported.