Hull City and Everton confirm fee agreement for Nikica Jelavic transfer

1 Comment

In a bit of an odd move, both Hull City and Everton announced via Twitter they have agreed on a transfer fee for striker Nikica Jelavic.

Hull City will discuss personal terms with the 28-year-old Croatian in the coming days.

It is very unusual for a team to disclose publicly any transfer news prior to the completion of any deal, which includes both fee and contract terms.

However, with both parties releasing the information, it’s safe to assume the deal is nearly complete.

The Mirror is attempting to report the transfer fee, but have made a mess of it.  According to the Mirror’s David Anderson, the fee is believed to be in the range of £5.25 million ($8.7 million). But Anderson’s Mirror colleague Darren Lewis says £6.5 million ($10.7 million) with the potential to raise to £7.5 million ($12.4 million).

Either way, that’s a heck of a haul for a third string striker who’s made just five Premier League starts this season.

Despite impressing during the beginning of his Everton tenure in January of 2012, Jelavic has never been able to solidify a long-term place in Everton’s attack.

This season especially, he’s been shoved aside by the imposing Romelu Lukaku and with the arrival of Roberto Martinez in the manager position, he brought with him Aroune Kone from Wigan who supplanted Jelavic in the pecking order as well.

Current Hull frontman Yaya Sanogo, bought from Evian this summer, has produced just two goals in his 18 Hull appearances, and it’s no surprise that Steve Bruce is looking elsewhere for strike options with little behind Sanogo.

An outstanding defensive record have the recently promoted club in a surprising 10th place in the Premier League table, but an inconsistent attack will leave supporters worried about the season’s second half.

Purchased from Rangers for around £5.5 million ($9 million), Jelavic has made 69 Everton appearances (50 starts), scoring 21 goals and assisting six others.  He scored nine of those goals in his first 13 appearances with the Toffees, leading them to a nine-match unbeaten run to finish the 2012 season.

Javier Mascherano leaving Barcelona after 8 seasons

Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images
Leave a comment

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Barcelona says defender Javier Mascherano is leaving the club after eight seasons.

Barcelona says there will be a farewell ceremony on Wednesday with Mascherano, club president Josep Bartomeu and the rest of the squad.

[ MORE: Man City to buy $86m CB ]

The 33-year-old Argentina international will say goodbye to the fans before Thursday’s game against Espanyol at Camp Nou in the Copa del Rey. He is reportedly going to play in China.

Mascherano, who also played as a defensive midfielder, arrived in Barcelona in 2010 from Liverpool and helped the Catalan club win 18 titles. He has made 334 appearances with Barcelona, but recently hadn’t been playing much.

The club earlier this month signed Colombia international Yerry Mina to boost its defense.

More AP Spanish soccer coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/LaLiga

Man City reportedly agrees $86m price for Laporte

Photo by Alex Caparros/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sky Sports reporter Guillem Balague is reporting that Manchester City is set to seal an $86 million purchase of center back Aymeric Laporte from Athletic Bilbao, and all that’s left is for City to agree to contract terms with the player.

[ MORE: MCFC into League Cup Final ]

The 23-year-old has been with the Basque outfit since 2012, making more than 200 appearances for Athletic. Balague issued a Tweet saying Man City opted for Laporte over $34 million Jonny Evans of West Brom.

Laporte is a smooth and technical passer at center back who shouldn’t have a problem with the physical nature of the Premier League either. He’s yet to break into the French national team, and is only the second French player to play for Bilbao.

Rumors have circulated for some time, though a Tuesday report was dismissed because Laporte was in advanced discussions with Man City during a previous transfer window when he changed his mind.

It’s more big money from City, a boon for Athletic Bilbao, and terrific competition for John Stones and any Man City center back not named Nicolas Otamendi (and Vincent Kompany when healthy).

Rapids hire Patel as director; Highest ranking female exec in MLS

Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Colorado Rapids have hired Ena Patel as their new director of player personnel. She becomes Major League Soccer highest ranking female executive, according to the Denver Post.

[ FOLLOW: PST’s MLS coverage ]

According to the Rapids, she’ll report to club GM Padraig Smith and “oversee player contracts, salary budget, regulatory compliance, and soccer operations protocols.”

The move comes about a month-and-a-half after Sporting KC hired Megan Cameron as an assistant director of player personnel, the first woman hired to an MLS team’s technical staff.

Patel’s resume is outlandishly strong, though this is her first foray into the sports world. Here are some words from Smith, from ColoradoRapids.com:

“Ena’s hiring is the final piece of the puzzle for us on the front office side,” Smith, the Rapids executive vice president and general manager, said in a statement released by the club. “Bringing in a sharp, legal mind who can oversee our contractual processes and complex league mechanisms is a really important part of ensuring that we’re fielding the best possible team. We can’t wait for her to get started.”

Guardiola happy to reach final, knows Man City to be judged by hardware

Nick Potts/PA via AP
Leave a comment

Bristol City made its interesting late with a pair of goals, but Manchester City’s League Cup destiny was never in jeopardy in a 3-2 second leg win at Ashton Gate Stadium on Tuesday.

[ RECAP: Bristol City 2-3 (3-5 agg.) Man City ]

That sent the club into the Feb. 25 final with a 5-3 aggregate win, and it’s very difficult not to leap to the story line that is Pep Guardiola‘s chance at a first significant title in his reign at Man City.

The closest City came to hardware last season was being bounced by Arsenal in the FA Cup semifinal. This time, City is the favorite to win at least three of its four entered competitions: the Premier League, the League Cup, and the FA Cup.

But to hear Pep say it, for now the club is just happy to have earned one final berth. From the BBC:

“We are so happy to be there, to reach this final. We played an amazing game until 2-0 and then we lost control, these type of games never end until the end. This is a lesson for next weekend in Cardiff in the FA Cup and especially for the Champions League.

“It’s not for me, it’s for Manchester City, a club who are trying to reach another level. … I know that we will be judged by trophies we win but we are so happy. Nobody can take away what we have done, but Chelsea or Arsenal are strong teams.”

Guardiola was serious about not overlooking the Robins, as he rolled out a very similar lineup to the full-strength bunch that beat Newcastle United 3-1 at the weekend. That may have cost City late, but it had already built a 4-1 aggregate lead with two superior away goals.

Yes, Guardiola is a man who measures himself by the way his club plays but also by winning in that attractive fashion. Expect a determined club to stride into Wembley late next month.

Chelsea and Arsenal square off Wednesday at the Emirates Stadium for the right to match up with Man City, who won the tournament in 2014 and 2016. Even year dominance?