Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo wins 2013 Ballon d’Or, crowned world’s best player


Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the winner of the 2013 Ballon d’Or as the world’s best soccer player.

The Real Madrid winger ousted Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, who won the last four awards, and Bayern Munich’s Franck Ribery to win the award. It was Ronaldo’s second time winning the prestigious award, previously made the recipient in 2008 following his 31-goal season in the Premier League with Manchester United.

Ronaldo, who placed second in Ballon d’Or voting in 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2012, won this year’s award after scoring a sensational 55 goals for Real Madrid. During that stint he nabbed five hat-tricks in club play – against Getafe, Galatasaray and Real Sociedad – and two on the international stage for Portugal – against Northern Ireland and against Sweden in the second leg of Portugal’s World Cup playoff, ensuring his country’s place in Brazil.

Ronaldo received 1,365 points, Messi had 1,205 and Franck Ribery, the France and Bayern Munich winger, got 1,127. Voting was done by national team captains and coaches, plus selected journalists in each FIFA member country.

Germany goalkeeper Nadine Angerer was named FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year — beating out Abby Wambach and Marta — and Pele received the first-ever honorary Ballon d’Or.

On stage Monday in Zurich, Ronaldo broke down into tears after finally breaking through for another recognition after two consecutive second-place finishes.

“There are no words to describe this moment,” Ronaldo told the Associated Press.

“People who know me know how many people helped me,” Ronaldo said in Portuguese. “If I have forgotten anyone, I do apologize because I am deeply moved.”

FIFA also stressed that Ronaldo’s win owed nothing to an extension of the initial balloting deadline beyond the World Cup playoff. His display in Stockholm was so impressive it seemed certain to sway voters when Messi was sidelined by his third injury of the year.

Still, FIFA spokesman Walter De Gregorio said Monday the standings were unchanged by the voting rules adjustment.

Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes was named manager of the year, while German women’s national team coach Silvia Neid won the women’s coaching award.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Watch Live: Bournemouth vs. Tottenham (Lineups, Stream)

BOURNEMOUTH, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 10:  Jack Wilshere of AFC Bournemouth comes on for AFC Bournemouth during the Premier League match between AFC Bournemouth and West Bromwich Albion at Vitality Stadium on September 10, 2016 in Bournemouth, England.  (Photo by Steve Bardens/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bournemouth host Tottenham Hotspur at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday (Watch live, 7:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN and on with Mauricio Pochettino‘s Spurs the only unbeaten team remaining in the Premier League.


Eddie Howe‘s Bournemouth will be a tough test for Spurs as Eddie Howe’s side have beaten Everton and Hull in each of their last two home games.

This will be an intriguing clash between two teams who love to play attractive, attacking soccer and have a whole host of young English players.

In team news Bournemouth start with Junior Stanislas on the bench as Jack Wilshere (on loan from Arsenal) starts in central midfield. Andrew Surman was injured in the warm up and Dan Gosling took his place.

Spurs start Son up top with Harry Kane still not back from injury, with Mousa Dembele coming into midfield. Eric Dier starts at center back for a third-straight game with Toby Alderweireld out injured.


Bournemouth: Boruc; Smith, Francis, Cook, Daniels; King, Gosling, Wilshere, Arter, Ibe; Wilson. Subs: Federici, Ake, Mings, Fraser, Afobe, Gradel, Mousset

Tottenham: Lloris; Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose; Dembele, Wanyama; Eriksen, Alli, Lamela; Son. Subs: Vorm, Trippier, Sissoko, Wimmer, Winks, Davies, Janssen

Messi returns for Argentina qualifiers vs. Brazil, Colombia

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - JUNE 26:  Lionel Messi #10 of Argentina takes the ball against the Chile during the Copa America Centenario Championship match at MetLife Stadium on June 26, 2016 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.Chile defeated Argentina 0-0 with the 4-2 win in the shootout.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

BUENOS AIRES (AP) — Having fully recovered from a groin injury, Barcelona star Lionel Messi was named on Friday in Argentina’s squad to face Brazil and Colombia in the next round of World Cup qualifiers.

Messi has been in fine form for Barcelona since coming back from his latest niggling injury, scoring four goals in two matches, including a superb hat trick against Manchester City in the Champions League on Wednesday.

He has not played for his country since scoring the winner in a 1-0 win against Uruguay on Sept. 1.

In his absence, Argentina drew 2-2 away to Peru and lost 1-0 at home to Paraguay, putting it in fifth place and out of the top four positions that ensure a direct spot for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Messi’s return will be in Belo Horizonte against leaders Brazil, which has won its four first matches under new coach Tite.

Five days later, Edgardo Bauza’s Argentina side hosts fourth-place Colombia.


Goalkeepers: Nahuel Guzman, (Tigres), Sergio Romero (Manchester United), Geronimo Rulli, (Real Sociedad).

Defenders: Martin Demichelis (Espanyol), Mateso Musacchio (Villarreal), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City), Ramiro Funes Mori (Everton), Gabriel Mercado, (Sevilla), Facundo Roncaglia (Celta Vigo), Emanuel Mas (San Lorenzo), Pablo Zabaleta, (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Guido Pizarro (Tigres), Lucas Biglia (Lazio), Ever Banega (Inter Milan), Enzo Perez (Valencia), Nicolas Gaitan (Atletico Madrid), Angel Di Maria (Paris Saint-Germain), Julio Buffarini (Sao Paulo), Marcos Acuna (Racing Club).

Strikers: Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus), Paulo Dybala (Juventus), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Lucas Pratto (Atletico Mineiro).

Guardiola: Aguero, Kompany have nothing to worry about at Man City

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - MARCH 15:  An injured Vincent Kompany of Manchester City (4) speaks to Sergio Aguero of Manchester City as he leaves the pitch during the UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg match between Manchester City FC and FC Dynamo Kyiv at the Etihad Stadium on March 15, 2016 in Manchester, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Both Sergio Aguero and Vincent Kompany have nothing to worry about regarding their place in the Manchester City squad, according to manager Pep Guardiola.

Neither was in the starting lineup for the Champions League loss to Barcelona, with Kompany not even in the 18. But according to Guardiola, he had his reasons for both.

“Vincent was not perfectly fit,” Guardiola said. “Sergio, I said after the game, was a tactical decision. If Sergio decides to leave it will be his decision.”

The former Barcelona manager played a striker-less formation against the La Liga giants, employing Kevin De Bruyne as a false 9. It failed, with Barcelona storming through en route to a 4-0 win, with Lionel Messi scoring a hat-trick.

Kompany has struggled with injuries the past two seasons, missing all of this season so far, half of last year, a healthy portion of the previous campaign with various injuries from hamstring problems to calf tweaks to groin pulls. According to Guardiola, it has left a permanent mark on the Belgian defender’s psyche.

“One day, in the training session, he said: ‘I didn’t feel like this [good],’” Guardiola said. “In that moment, when his head is not ready and with what happened in the last two years, it is better to stay out. I don’t want to put a lot of pressure about how many games we want him to play or set big, big targets. So it’s just try to train good and after a week of training no injuries, we’ll play a game, and after that another one. And after that we’ll see.”

Timmy Chandler, Frankfurt thrash Bobby Wood, Hamburg 3-0

SINSHEIM, GERMANY - AUGUST 01:  Coach Markus Gisdol of Hoffenheim reacts during the friendly match between 1899 Hoffenheim and AFC Bournemouth at Wirsol Rhein-Neckar-Arena on August 1, 2015 in Sinsheim, Germany.  (Photo by Daniel Kopatsch/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hamburg may have made a coaching change, but that didn’t change their immediate fortunes.

Bobby Wood and company fell to fellow USMNTer Timmy Chandler and Frankfurt 3-0 at Volksparkstadion. It was a rough home opener for new Hamburg manager Markus Gisdol, as former Fulham and Tottenham midfielder Lewis Holtby opened the scoring with an unfortunate own-goal after an ugly giveaway.

Things got worse as Dennis Diekmeier picked up his second yellow card shortly after halftime, and it was gravy from there for Frankfurt as Shani Tarashaj and Haris Seferovic bagged goals to secure the win.

Hamburg, a club that narrowly staved off relegation in a playoff last season, has just a measly two points through eight matches. They fired manager Bruno Labbadia after just a month, but it hasn’t gone much better for Gisdol as a road draw with Borussia Monchengladbach is the only salvageable result through three thus far.

Bobby Wood’s honeymoon start to the league season for Hamburg is long gone. He scored two goals in two games to start the year, but hasn’t hit the back of the net since.

Timmy Chandler, on the other hand, he’s played the full 90 minutes in every game for Frankfurt since the opener, assisting a goal in the 2-2 draw with Bayern Munich last weekend. He’s helped Frankfurt move to fourth in the league, three points behind Bayern and Koln and Red Bull Leipzig between them (what?!).