Speaking in Zurich after the Ballon d’Or celebrations on Monday, FIFA President Sepp Blatter has dropped the biggest hint yet that the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will indeed take place in the winter months but didn’t give any other specifics.
Other FIFA executives haven’t been quite as vague in the past few days.
Jerome Valcke, Secretary General of FIFA, told French radio last week that the tournament in Qatar in 2022 would be held “sometime between November 15 and January 15”, raising the prospect of it spanning two years for the first time.
That notion enraged some of FIFA’s other executives who have since hit back at plans to spread the 2022 World Cup into 2023 and tarnish the tournaments reputation and history. Blatter understands the uproar about the planning issues ahead of soccer’s governing body, but also believes a solution can be found to make a winter World Cup work.
“We are making all these consultations and they will be finished at the end of 2014,” Blatter said of the evidence FIFA is currently collecting. “So it will be in 2015 that we can make the decision, if we will play in the summer or winter in 2022. But the tendency is definitely that it’s too hot in the summer, so let’s find a solution to play in the winter.”
That’s all well and good Sepp, but between now and 2015 we will constantly hear different ideas banded around by the many members of FIFA as they all give their own two cents on when the tournament should be held in Qatar.
A monumental mess just keeps getting messier. We’ve got another 12 months of this…