gaston_fernandez

Portland adds two more Argentines: What the Timbers may be getting with their latest South American imports

1 Comment

Rumors Portland would add two Argentines came to fruition on Wednesday, with the Timbers turning to South America for solutions at their roster’s two biggest areas of need. Looking to the same source that gave them Diego Valeri last offseason, Portland has signed forward Gastón Fernández and center back Norberto Paparatto from Argentina’s Primera División, adding the pair of 30-year-olds to the team’s thin striker and defense corps.

The moves had been rumored for some time, with “internet sleuthing” having already identified the potential acquisitions. With team general manager Gavin Wilkinson and head coach Caleb Porter having flown to Argentina shortly after the Timbers were eliminated from the playoffs, there was little doubt the teams’  signings would likely come from the Primera. Given the Timbers lacked an established striker and ended the season with Pa Modou Kah and Mamadou “Futty” Danso in central defense, it was clear which areas the team intended to target.

As with any imports, the question is what the Timbers are getting, particularly with Fernández (pictured, above). Typically employed as a supporting striker, La Gata hasn’t registered a competitive goal for Estudiantes since June 24, going 33 appearances for El Leon without scoring. Over the past six months in Argentina, the former Monterrey and Tigres attacker has only made one appearance for Mauricio Pellegino’s team, coming on a halftime of the team’s a 2-0 loss to Tigre on Dec. 8.

“It was our priority to find a striker that was the right fit for our group on many different levels,” Caleb Porter said in a statement released by the club. “We had a specific type of player in mind, someone that could create goals but also have chemistry with our other quality attacking pieces.”

Quick, skilled, and capable of playing used as anything from an attacking midfielder to striker through the middle, Fernández has the talent to reestablish himself in Major League Soccer. His main problems in the past — a want to hold to spent too much time on the ball — could be alleviated by playing in a system that’s already defined Diego Valeri and Darlington Nagbe as its focal points. At only 5’7″, however, Fernández lacks the size and physicality the Timbers enjoyed last year with Ryan Johnson.

Size is not an issue for the Timbers’ other Argentine import, with the 6’4″ Norberto Paparatto bringing Omar Gonzalez-level height to Porter’s back line. He also brings six-and-a-half years’ experience at Tigre to Major League Soccer, having been a regular on a team that made the 2012 Copa Sudamericana final. Though his speed and ability on the ball have allowed him to occasionally play on the right, Paparatto should immediately slip into Portland’s central defense, providing the Timbers with the high-quality center back the squad desperately needed at times last season.

“He is technically and tactically sound and will bring another player in our locker room that has experience and leadership qualities playing at a high level for many years,” Porter said. “Norberto will also help with our aerial ability, which is a critical component we wanted to enhance in our team.”

Out of the box, Paparatto will improve the Timbers, and in that way, he represents a signing on the opposite end of the spectrum from Fernández. Whereas the former Tigre man has consistently played over the last two years (making 82 appearances), La Gata’s only played 19 games in 12 months. While Fernández will be judged on his ability to rekindle the goal scoring touch he showed when returning to Estudiantes from Mexico four years ago, Paparatto looks to be a steadying influence at the back, his biggest concern being a tendency to mistime tackles (24 cards over the last two years). And whereas Fernández has experience playing outside of Argentina, Paparatto is making his first venture abroad, traveling 6,800 miles to do so.

Given the squad Portland had before signing their third and fourth Argentines, the risks make sense. In defense, where Timbers need more of a sure thing than a dice roll, Paparatto gives them somebody who can partner whomever emerges from the Kah, Danso, Mikael Silvestre battle. In attack, if Fernández can’t rediscover his form, the team still has Maxi Urruti, Frederic Piquionne, or the myriad possible combinations available to a team that could be moving away from playing a traditional striker.

Ronaldo shows no sign of injury while hanging with Conor McGregor

instagram.com/cristiano/
instagram.com/cristiano/
Leave a comment

Cristiano Ronaldo may not be ready for the UEFA Super Cup, but he’s no longer limping around.

To explore the Real Madrid superstar’s Instagram is to see Ronaldo, sometimes clothed, hanging out with celebrities.

In the last couple weeks we’ve seen him with Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez, and now his “bro” Conor McGregor.

[ MORE: Who wins the League of Hate? ]

Wait, what?

Yeah, Ronaldo is friends with the MMA star, and showed no ill form (and no brace of any kind) in several posed photos with McGregor.

Although admittedly, McGregor’s IG game is a bit better: The Irish fighter posted a photo of himself sunning in his briefs with the caption, “I’m gonna get him on the Forbes list by next year. But I’m gonna get him on the tan by next week.”

Good luck with both, bro.

Great to see you bro!!💪🏽🔝

A photo posted by Cristiano Ronaldo (@cristiano) on Jul 24, 2016 at 3:48pm PD

Bruce pens letter to Hull fans: “Desperately wanted to make it work”

YORK, ENGLAND - JULY 23: Steve Bruce manager of  Hull City ahead of the pre-season friendly match between York City and Hull City at Bootham Cresent on July 23, 2014  in York, England. (Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images)
Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Many Hull City fans didn’t want Steve Bruce to leave the club, and this open letter shows why.

After leaving the club by “mutual consent” on Friday — it was first widely reported that he quit — fans protested at Hull’s game on Monday.

[ MORE: Who wins the League of Hate? ]

Bruce may’ve had his problems with Hull’s ownership, but he certainly got his supporters’ feelings right down to the core.

From the Hull Daily Mail:

My biggest regret is having to walk away but it was a decision I had to make for the sake of the club. The last 12 months have been very tough and it felt like the right step for the club to move forward in a different direction and with someone else in charge.

I desperately wanted to make it work this summer and be a Premier League manager again but, sadly, it wasn’t to be. Nevertheless, I’ve left Hull City with some fantastic memories that I’ll always cherish, including just eight weeks ago in the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

Class from the longtime boss, and we imagine he’ll have a job very soon if he wants it.

Report: Everton to activate release clause of Stoke’s Arnautovic

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 28: Marko Arnautovic (1st L) of Stoke City competes for the ball against Seamus Coleman (2nd L) and Gareth Barry (1st Rof Everton during the Barclays Premier League match between Everton and Stoke City at Goodison Park on December 28, 2015 in Liverpool, England.  (Photo by Dave Thompson/Getty Images)
Photo by Dave Thompson/Getty Images
1 Comment

Everton is going to activate Marko Arnautovic‘s $16 million release clause to bring the Stoke City striker to Goodison Park, according to a report out of Austria.

Stoke had been trying to sign Arnautovic to a contract extension, but the player was reportedly prepared to play out the final year of his deal.

[ MORE: Who wins the League of Hate? ]

The huge 27-year-old Austrian has been with Stoke since 2013, and broke through with 11 Premier League goals last season.

Arnautovic would give Everton support behind Romelu Lukaku, and insurance in case the Toffees do wind up selling their Belgian striker. Everton also has Arouna Kone as a potential target forward, but Oumar Niasse is expecting to leave after less than a year at Goodison Park.

Chelsea wins the League… of Hate; Bournemouth, Leicester not hated

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 27:  Diego Costa of Chelsea celebrates his team's second goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Southampton and Chelsea at St Mary's Stadium on February 27, 2016 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)
Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images
Leave a comment

A family of English newspapers conducted its annual survey of which teams are the most hated in the Premier League, and there’s a new champion.

Manchester United has dropped to second in the table to Chelsea in what the Manchester Evening News called the “League of Hate”.

[ MORE: Rooney’s England position not set ]

According to the MEN, 10,000 fans were quizzed on their love and hate:

A national survey asked fans of each top flight club which sides they hate, and which they love, and the west London club came out as the most disliked club overall.

United, who won the dubious accolade last year, have been revealed to be the next most reviled side.

It’s no surprise that the league’s more successful sides sit atop the table while newer PL clubs like Bournemouth and Burnley are not reviled. That said, Leicester’s dream story has them 19th. How much more success do they need to have before shooting up the hate table?

Here’s the Top Five, and all results:

1) Chelsea
2) Manchester United
3) Liverpool
4) Manchester City
5) Arsenal