jhon_kennedy_hurtado

Seattle gives up Hurtado and Ianni, gets Anibaba, room to maneuver in trade with Chicago

2 Comments

Two players who had been with Seattle since the team’s 2009 MLS debut will start the 2014 campaign elsewhere, with the Sounders sending center backs Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Patrick Ianni to Chicago on Wednesday in exchange for defender Jalil Anibaba. Balancing out the trade, Seattle and Chicago also swap first round picks in Thursday’s draft, the Sounders jumping from 13 to eight, while the Fire give up a conditional third round pick 2015.

On the surface, it appears Seattle is targeting somebody with the eighth overall pick, but the trade’s real intrigue may be in the salary the Sounders have shipped to Chicago. Based on 2013 players union numbers, Seattle are saving around $200,000 with this deal, and while Anibaba looks set to start along side Chad Marshall in the Sounders’ defense, the real payoff may come with the acquisition of somebody like Marco Pappa. (This Seattle blog has a great breakdown of the possibilities.)

The former Fire winger has been a rumored target of Seattle’s throughout the week, and while at least one other move would be necessary to get the Sounders in position to select the Guatemalan international, the money end appears to be falling into place. Whether Seattle’s new cap space goes toward Pappa or somebody else, Wednesday’s trade gives general manager Adrian Hanauer the flexibility he needs to continue reshaping the team’s midfield.

“One of the most difficult parts of this job is losing good people,” Hanauer said, alluding to the time Hurtado and Ianni had spent with in Seattle. “Jhon and Patrick are both quality individuals who have been with our organization from the beginning. We wish them the best in Chicago.”

source: Getty Images
Initially used as a central defender, Jalil Anibaba was pushed to right back last season. During the 2013 campaign, he appeared in all 34 games for the Chicago Fire. (Photo: Getty Images.)

Part of the payoff, however, sees Seattle get slightly younger along the back, with the 25-year-old Anibaba also bringing a durability Hurtado had lacked. Whereas the 29-year-old Colombian had missed at least seven games in each of the last three seasons, Anibaba has played 67 of 68 possible matches over the last two years.

“Jalil is a center back who has tremendous upside,” Seattle head coach Sigi Schmid said, adding “… we expect him to contribute right away.”

Chicago’s point of view on the deal may require some reading between the lines. With Frank Yallop having taking control at Toyota Park, Anibaba went from a staff that drafted him out of North Carolina to somebody who had less familiarity with his talents. Given the opportunity to get two defenders he faced often during his last four-plus seasons n San Jose, Yallop has elected to add two veterans to help Austin Berry in central defense.

“[Coming in] right away I recognized that we were light on the defensive side of things,” Yallop told the team’s website

“Adding Jhon, a former Defender of the Year finalist and  defensive All-Star, automatically makes our team better,” Yallop said. “Along with Patrick, we are adding valuable depth on the defensive side.”

Add in the salary Chicago’s taking on and the swap of draft picks, and this looks like a curious move for the Fire, though seen another way, the deal looks like a challenge trade. While it isn’t Kennedy for Anibaba straight up, Yallop is implicitly wagering the acquisition of the veteran Colombian justifies dealing the younger player. For Seattle, any downgrade from Kennedy to Anibaba will be offset by the improved draft position and the players they bring in with their new flexibility.

At least, that’s the theory. Tomorrow, when the MLS SuperDraft draft hits pick number eight, we’ll see how Seattle starts using their new resources.

John Terry still hopes to remain at Chelsea beyond this season

Chelsea v Sunderland - Premier League
Getty Images
Leave a comment

John Terry is a Chelsea legend.

It is the only team he’s every played for and even at the age of 35 the legendary captain of the Blues looks better than ever.

[ MORE: Wenger reveals bank talks ]

That’s why when he announced in January that the club wasn’t going to offer him a new deal and he’d likely be on his way this summer, fans of Chelsea reacted angrily and jumped to the support of Terry. He’s won four Premier League titles with Chelsea, a UEFA Champions League trophy, five FA Cup and three League Cups.

He is the most successful player in club history and despite his off-the-field issues, he is one of the greatest defenders England has ever produced.

Speaking to Soccer AM on Sky Sports in the UK, Terry revealed that he still believes he has a few years left in the tank and that he hopes it’s with Chelsea.

“I’ve got a couple of years left. Definitely I intend to keep playing, hopefully that’s at Chelsea, but if not it will be somewhere else,” Terry said. “I am definitely feeling good physically and I intend to play as long as I can. As a professional footballer you’re a long time retired, so I think not only for myself but for all of us we should get the most out of it and enjoy it while it’s there.”

With talk of a move to China, MLS or elsewhere in Europe, it seems like Terry still has his heart set on remaining on Chelsea.

The fact that he’s toned down his rhetoric in this interview suggests perhaps some headway has been made behind-the-scenes as Antonio Conte will arrive as Chelsea’s new manager in July following the 2016 European Championships where he coaches Italy.

Should Conte push for Terry to get a new one-year deal at Stamford Bridge?

Right now, Terry is still the best central defender Chelsea has. Despite his age and many believing it may be good for both parties to move on and for Conte to not have to worry about Terry’s huge influence in the dressing room, surely the Blues can’t just let a top-class center back walk free this summer?

Luke Shaw aiming to make Manchester United return this season

SWANSEA, WALES - AUGUST 30: Luke Shaw of Manchester United warms up with Bastian Schweinsteiger (R) prior to the Barclays Premier League match between Swansea City and Manchester United at Liberty Stadium on August 30, 2015 in Swansea, Wales.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Luke Shaw has been out-of-action for a half-year, dating back to a horrible injury in Manchester United’s UEFA Champions League defeat at PSV Eindhoven in September.

[ MORE: LVG says Leicester will have to earn title ]

Shaw, 20, is hoping that spell on the club sidelines will end before the end of this Premier League season, as the $45 million buy from Southampton continues to progress toward match fitness.

From ManUtd.com:

“I am back outside now, still with the physio but, day by day, I am getting better and fitter. I am just going to keep pushing now until the end of the season and see what happens. At the moment, my leg feels really great every time I go outside. There was a bit of aching at the start but now they are all gone. It is just back to hard work now and hopefully I will see the fans before the end of the season.”

It’s a good goal for the youngster, but there’s obviously zero need to rush things. With the FA Cup surely a tempting proposition as well, Shaw will also need to be reintroduced to playing in matches. Would Louis Van Gaal want to risk that during some pivotal encounters in the race for a Top Four place?

Red Bulls acquired defender Aurelien Collin from Orlando City

ORLANDO, FL - JULY 15:  Aurelien Collin #78 of Orlando City SC heads the ball during an International friendly soccer match between West Bromwich Albion and the Orlando City SC at the Orlando Citrus Bowl on July 15, 2015 in Orlando, Florida. Orlando won the match 3-1. (Photo by Alex Menendez/Getty Images)
Photo by Alex Menendez/Getty Images
Leave a comment

HARRISON, N.J. (AP) The New York Red Bulls have acquired veteran center back Aurelien Collin from Orlando City SC in exchange for a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft.

The Red Bulls announced the deal for the 30-year-old Collin on Friday.

[ MLS: Red Bulls 4-0 FC Dallas ]

Collin, who is from France, was acquired by Orlando City ahead of its inaugural MLS campaign last season. Before that, he spent four years with Sporting Kansas City, where he won the 2013 MLS Cup and was named the MVP of the game.

Collin was named MLS Best XI in 2012 and earned three consecutive MLS All-Star appearances from 2012-2014. He has played professionally in France, Greece, England, Scotland and Portugal.

USMNT’s Tim Howard starts for Everton

U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard smiles during practice Thursday, Nov. 12, 2015, in St. Louis. The U.S. men's team is scheduled to play a World Cup soccer qualifying match against St. Vincent and the Grenadines on Friday in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)
AP
1 Comment

Tim Howard is back in goal for Everton.

[ WATCH: Stream PL games via Live Extra

The U.S. national team legend, 37, returns for the Toffees and is named captain by under-fire manager Roberto Martinez.

Howard hasn’t played in a Premier League game for Everton since January 24 when the Toffees lost 2-1 against Swansea at Goodison.

Since then he has struggled with a calf injury and has been replaced by Spanish goalkeeper Joel Robles as Everton’s starting goalkeeper. In the past few months Everton’s manager Martinez has come under increasing pressure from the fans as they’ve continued to coast along in midtable and were beaten in the FA Cup semifinal by Manchester United last weekend.

[ MORE: How will USMNT line up this summer? ]

The New Jersey native has signed a deal with Major League Soccer’s Colorado Rapids — a contract which makes him the best-paid goalkeeper in MLS history — who he will join on July 1 as he return to the U.S. to finish out his career.

After spending 13 years in England with Manchester United and Everton, it seems like Howard will get a final chance to say farewell to Everton’s fans in the last three weeks of the season.

Despite criticism from sections of Everton’s supporters this season, Howard has been a fans favorite for most of his decade on Merseyside.

Below is the starting lineup for Everton as they face Bournemouth on Saturday at Goodison (Watch live, 10 a.m. ET on Premier League Extratime and online via Live Extra).