Hernandez of Mexico reacts after missing a chance to score against Costa Rica during their 2014 World Cup qualifying soccer match in Mexico City

Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Chicharito to Monaco, Shaw staying put


Things are getting nutty late in the window, with moves for Yohan Cabaye and Juan Mata coming into fruition amongst others, so what’s on the horizon?

Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino still says Luke Shaw isn’t leaving St. Mary’s, neither in January nor the summer, but can the fear of his departure stop the Saints hierarchy from accepting Chelsea or Manchester United meeting their 25 million pounds transfer price? He’s 18 and contracted through 2018, but it’d be conventional to think this ends in a move or a new deal for the back… and Chelsea is making noise.

Noted goal poacher fox in the box slash super sub Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez could be moving to France as a short-term replacement for injured Radamel Falaco, as AS Monaco could splash some cash for the Manchester United man. Also on Monaco’s radar is Dani Osvaldo, who may have head-butted his way out of Southampton. And he’s in demand by West Ham, too, as we previously told you. By the way, if you missed it, Falcao may have hope for Brazil

Toni Kroos could handle staying at Bayern Munich, obviously, but he isn’t crossing any options off his list as Manchester United is among those looking to take the midfielder into their side. The 24-year-old has already said ‘No’ to a new deal with his current club and David Moyes is interested.

Sampdoria is taking Maxi Lopez back from Catania, meaning West Ham has lost out on the Argentinian forward. Meanwhile, Sky Sports reports that Osasuna is quite angry with the Irons after West Ham pulled out of a bid for Raoul Loe very late in the goings.

“I cannot understand how a club at that level can negotiate and work in a two-faced way like that… Raoul had a bad Saturday night,” said Osasuna sporting director Petar Vasiljevic.

Sky also reports that Fulham is interested in a move for Olympiakos striker Kostas Mitroglou. He’s 25 and was rumored to join Arsenal or Liverpool in the summer before reaching an extension with the Champions League side. Olympiakos faces Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16, so don’t expect him to be going anywhere unless crazy money changes hands.

Tom Ince to Stoke? The Blackpool attacker has been linked with nearly every PL club in England at some point, but Sky says he’s meeting with the Potters now.

And Gus Poyet nudges his way into the news late, with this coming from The Telegraph:

 Sunderland manager Gus Poyet has confirmed he is close to landing Argentinian striker Ignacio Scocco. The Internacional frontman is expected on Wearside to undergo a medical during the next 24 hours or so after the two clubs agreed a fee. Poyet’s exact words when asked if the deal was likely to go through were: “I hope so. It’s not done, but we are very, very close.”

Scocco has played and scored for clubs in several countries as well as in his only cap for Argentina, twice and again in penalties against Brazil back in the 2012 Superclasico de las Americas.

Spanish FF fines Valencia for bottle toss; Chastises Barcelona

VALENCIA, SPAIN - OCTOBER 22:  FC Barcelona are hit by objects thrown from the seats after Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona scores his team's third goal from the penalty spot during the La Liga match between Valencia CF and FC Barcelona at Mestalla stadium on October 22, 2016 in Valencia, Spain.  (Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images)
Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Spain’s football federation has fined Valencia about $1600 for the water bottle tossed at celebrating Barcelona players on Saturday.

It’s also criticized Barca’s reaction to Neymar being hit with the water bottle.

[ MORE: Watch the incident here ]

Lionel Messi in particular flipped out at fans, who were furious after Barca scored a match-winning penalty and celebrated near the touch line.

From the BBC:

Spain’s football federation criticised the Barca players for their “exaggerated reaction” and for celebrating in front of home fans, but added “nothing justified” the reaction of the Valencia supporters.

There’s an easy joke to make about playacting/diving here, as Luis Suarez hits the deck despite not appearing to be hit.

But it’s critical to remember that these players at the moment don’t have any idea what’s happened, only that they’ve been hit. And Suarez is covering head, perhaps wondering what’s coming next. Neymar laying on the pitch for a while seems a bit overboard, but I don’t blame Messi nor his teammates for being furious with the supporters.

What do you make of it?

Mourinho admits missing family, but don’t be misled by “disaster” talk

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 02:  Ander Herrera of Manchester United (L) speaks to Jose Mourinho, Manager of Manchester United (C) after the final whistle during the Premier League match between Manchester United and Stoke City at Old Trafford on October 2, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Don’t be misled by the headlines screaming out “disaster”; If this is the beginning of the end for Jose Mourinho at Manchester United, it has nothing to do with his speaking of his time in Manchester.

If you haven’t seen the headlines yet, you will. Mourinho says that life at United has been challenging and, yes, he uses the word disaster.

[ MORE: Chalobah’s double nutmeg ]

But he’s talking about being under the personal microscope, paparazzi and the like. And he’s talking about missing his family. Because, believe it or not, the man is a human being (at least we’re pretty sure).

“I just want to cross the bridge and go to a restaurant. I can’t, so it’s really bad,” Mourinho told Sky Sports.

“For me it’s a bit of a disaster because I want sometimes to walk a little bit and I can’t.”

That last line isn’t talking about tactics, title ambitions, or even the 4-0 loss to Chelsea. True story.

Mourinho’s comments regarding his life at Manchester are interesting and newsworthy, but allow us to go behind the curtain here. The media world is driven by monetization in the form of clicks and time spent on site.

Trumpeting the term “disaster” is tricky. Yes, there are seeds of discontent in Mourinho’s Manchester concerns — and credit to you for clicking through and reading what them in full — but let this thing play out, no? There’s a derby in town today.

WATCH: Chelsea’s Chalobah nutmegs two Manchester United players in seconds

LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 23:  Nathaniel Chalobah of Chelsea is closed down by Paul Pogba of Manchester United during the Premier League match between Chelsea and Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on October 23, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Leave a comment

For the first time since the 2011-12 season, Nathaniel Chalobah is not on loan and getting the chance to show what he can do for Chelsea.

At the very least, the 21-year-old midfielder has given the club a viral video.

[ MORE: Manchester Derby “a final” ]

Chelsea uploaded a video of Chalobah going double nutmeg on Manchester United’s Anthony Martial and Ander Herrera.

Given the opposition, it’s gone quite well to the tune of several hundred thousand views inside of four hours.

Watch the ex-Watford, Nottingham Forest, Middlesbrough, Burnley, Reading, and Napoli man go.

BVB boss Tuchel not worried about Real Madrid links

SHENZHEN, CHINA - JULY 27:  Thomas Tuchel, head coach of Dortmund looks on during team training session for 2016 International Champions Cup match between Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund at Shenzhen Universiade Stadium on July 27, 2016 in Shenzhen, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Less than five months have passed since Real Madrid won the Champions League final, yet in Florentino Perez’s mind that’s a lifetime. ()

Real’s president is anything but patient with managers, the latest example being Carlo Ancelotti. The Italian was fired a year after winning the club’s long-desired Decima and losing a whopping 19 of 119 matches in charge.

[ MORE: Manchester Derby “a final” ]

So even though Real Madrid leads La Liga under Zinedine Zidane and won the UCL last season, people are always imagining the future.

Borussia Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel’s style of play has captured the imaginations of so many supporters. And with BVB president Hans-Joachim Watzke claiming that Real is tracking the German, the questions are heading for Tuchel.

From Goal.com:

“It’s dangerous if you are flattered as a coach.You lose focus on the important things. I read it as a rumour before our game in Ingolstadt and so I already said back then that it’s dangerous to admit it and to think about it because it takes on too much importance.”

There’s no reason for Tuchel to have to ask those questions. Perez has called Zidane’s appointment one of his proudest moments, and that was just three days ago. Even in Perez’s world, that’s only a solid month, maybe two. %tags%