dani_alves

Spain roundup: Barcelona finally falls from first; Atlético alone on top

Leave a comment

If the most diehard of Barcelona fans needed further proof their team is no longer at its Guardiola-era heights, they need only open up their favorite sports daily Monday morning. If they’re impatient, they can check here, here, or here, though no self-respecting Culé would get their information form the latter. Still, every source delivers the same shocking ews. For the first time in 59 games, Barcelona does not lead La Liga, their 3-2 home loss to Valencia seeing Atlético Madrid claim sole possession of first place.

Taking advantage of Barcelona’s slip, Atleti moved three points clear with their 4-0 win over Real Sociedad – an unexpectedly lopsided result against a La Real side that’s fought their way back into Champions League contention. Sunday at the Vicente Calderón, they may as well have been Real Betis. Atlético closed with three goals in regulation’s final 18 minutes to claim their 18th win of the year, a result that reinforced the gravity of Barcelona’s slip.

Gerardo Martino’s team hadn’t lost at home in league since April 2012, but they have given Atlético other chances this season to claim the top spot. Recently Barcelona were held to a 1-1 draw at Levante only to see the Colchoneros waste their chance to go top after they were drawn at home by Sevilla. On Sunday, however, David Villa’s first half goal gave Diego Simeone’s side all it’d need, with second half scores from Diego Costa, Miranda, and the recently returned Diego allowing Atlético to put up the Barcelona-esque scored.

”This is something nice for the players, who have made such effort and go into every single game with the same intensity and work ethic,” Simeone said of his team’s effort on a night the Calderón honored the departed Luis Aragonés. ”Luis would appreciate the team’s courage, since he was a courageous type with character, just like this team.”

The Blaugrana couldn’t find the same killer instinct on Saturday. Despite going up through Alexis Sánches after seven minutes, Barça approached halftime with only a one-goal advantage. Shortly before the whistle, Valencia was able to steal a equalizer from Dani Perejo despite being second best for most of the half.

Three minutes into the second, Pablo Piatti’s goals saw Los Che claim an unlikely lead. A Ricardo Costa penalty gave Lionel Messi an equalizer in the 54th, but when Paco Alcácer responded five minutes later, the last salvo in Barcelona’s upset had been cast. Jordi Alba’s 78th minute dismissal sealed their fate.

“I would say to [my team] that everything continues, that we may lose the leadership of the league, but that we will still continue to fight,” ,” Martino said after the match, taking a broader view on a loss the redefined the top of Spain’s standings.

“We will try to recover the lost ground on our title rivals. We conceded chances to Valencia and they took advantage of them. We need to keep going and keep in mind how much this hurt us today.”

Barcelona could point to the loss of an injured Neymar, but the Brazilian’s other absences hadn’t slowed them down. Andrés Iniesta could only give them 25 minutes, while Carles Puyol was out. At each level of the field, Barcelona could make an excuse, none of which can offset the loss of their home winning streak, the end to their season-and-a-half run a top the league, or their disadvantage on a seemingly improving Atlético.

As Atlético incorporates players like Diego and Jose Sosa while continuing to mature into their contenders’ identity, Barcelona has new reason to doubt. Not only have they failed to win in three meetings this season with Atlético, but their home invincibility is no more. Their loss to Valencia could serve as a reminder that a huge swath of Spain present potential downfalls, or it could plant a seed of doubt that hasn’t been present in since before Pep Guardiola.

With Manchester City coming up in Champions League, we’ll soon have our answers. Right now, the two best teams in Europe appear to be Bayern Munich and City. Barcelona and Atlético each had claims to be in that picture, but having won only one of their last four league games, the Blaugrana are suddenly more vulnerable than their recent pedigree would imply.

Real Madrid take point at San Mamés

El Real’s result in Basque Country seems like a good opportunity to note the difference between their level and that of Atlético and Barcelona. But we hammered that home last week. Besides, one point at Athletic is not a poor result. Although Atlético Madrid claimed the first win at the new San Mames earlier this week (in Copa del Rey), comparing Real Madrid to their crosstown rivals is becoming an increasing unforgiving standard. By more reasonable measures, the Merengues got a valuable point against the league’s fourth place team.

Despite ceding control of the ball — their new 4-3-3 allowing them to manage play without dominating possession — Real Madrid went up early in the second half, Jesé grabbing a 65th minute opener while taking Gareth Bale’s spot in the starting lineup. Eight minutes later, however, Ibai scored with his second touch after coming on for Iker Munain, giving Athletic an equalizer that would hold through full time.

“In the first-half Athletic pressed a lot and that made it difficult to play the ball on the ground so we played more on the counter-attack,” Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti said after the match.

“In the second-half, the intensity of their pressure dropped a bit and we played better in possession, we scored and had good control of the game.

“Bilbao scored a fantastic goal, but in general I personally am satisfied with how Real Madrid played.”

Kicking off in the last game of the day, Real Madrid knew they would pass Barcelona with a win. Their inability to grab one will surely disappoint them, even if may take a few days for that perspective to settle in.

The more lasting disappointment, however, may be Cristiano Ronaldo’s suspension, with the Blancos star set to miss three games after seeing straight red in the 75th minute. Though the decision appeared to be harsh, Ronaldo is still set for a prolonged absence, one that could leave a recently goal-starved Real Madrid susceptible to draws without their biggest star.

They do lead the league in goals (61), but since switching to their new formation earlier this month, Real Madrid have only scored three goals in a game once – the five-goal outburst the saw Real Betis fire Juan Carlos Garrido fired. Sunday against Athletic, that lack of punch cost them, leaving El Real  in third place despite a chance to pass Barcelona.

Elsewhere

  • Granada 1, Celta Vigo 2 – Celta’s won three out of four and reached 12th after an 88th minute goal from Augusto Fernandez gave Luis Enrique’s team their seventh win of the season.
  • Levante 0, Rayo Vallecano 0 – The possession-hogging Vallecano were able to retain 58 percent of the ball and limit Levante to two shots on goal, but Paco Jémez’s side remains in 19th place after their scoreless draw.
  • Getafe 0, Valladolid 0 – Getafe is winless in league since Nov. 29 after a match that saw the teams combine for three shots on goal.
  • Málaga 3, Sevilla 2 – Sevilla falls for the second game in row as Málaga stops their slide toward relegation, with late goals from Samuel and Duda giving them the home side its first win in five.
  • Elche 1, Almeria 0 – Christian Herrera’s 58th minute goal holds up, leaving Almeria within two points of the bottom three.
  • Real Betis 2, Espanyol 0 – The Verdiblancos’ first win under Gabriel Calderón gives the team new hopes of survival, though Ruben Castro’s late double still leaves them eight points from safety.

Others
Barcelona 2, Valencia 3
Atlético Madrid 4, Real Sociedad 0
Athletic Club 1, Real Madrid 1

Monday
Villarreal vs. Osasuna

Standings

Team GP W D L GF GA GD Home Away PTS
Atlético Madrid 22 18 3 1 56 14 42 10-2-0 8-1-1 57
Barcelona 22 17 3 2 59 16 43 10-0-1 7-3-1 54
Real Madrid 22 17 3 2 61 22 39 9-0-1 8-3-1 54
Athletic 22 13 4 5 42 28 14 9-3-0 4-1-5 43
Villarreal 21 11 4 6 39 22 17 6-3-2 5-1-4 37
Real Sociedad 22 10 6 6 42 34 8 7-2-1 3-4-5 36
Sevilla 22 8 7 7 41 37 4 5-2-3 3-5-4 31
Valencia 22 8 4 10 31 35 -4 5-2-4 3-2-6 28
Levante 22 7 7 8 22 30 -8 3-5-3 4-2-5 28
Espanyol 22 7 5 10 25 29 -4 5-2-4 2-3-6 26
Celta Vigo 22 7 4 11 29 35 -6 3-4-4 4-0-7 25
Getafe 22 7 4 11 22 34 -12 4-4-4 3-0-7 25
Málaga 22 6 6 10 22 29 -7 5-1-5 1-5-5 24
Granada 22 7 3 12 20 29 -9 3-1-8 4-2-4 24
Elche 22 6 6 10 20 32 -12 4-3-5 2-3-5 24
Osasuna 21 6 4 11 18 34 -16 3-2-5 3-2-6 22
Almería 22 6 4 12 22 41 -19 3-3-4 3-1-8 22
Valladolid 22 4 8 10 24 37 -13 3-4-3 1-4-7 20
Rayo Vallecano 22 5 2 15 21 51 -30 2-0-8 3-2-7 17
Betis 22 3 5 14 20 47 -27 3-3-6 0-2-8 14

Norwich City striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel signs with former club Vitesse Arnham

NORWICH, ENGLAND - AUGUST 17:Ricky van Wolfswinkel of Norwich City celebrates after scoring their second goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Norwich City and Everton at Carrow Road on August 17, 2013 in Norwich, England. (Photo by Tony Marshall/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, Norwich City’s record transfer at the time of his purchase from Sporting CP in 2013, is moving on after a largely unsuccessful four-year stint with the Canaries.

The 27-year-old has returned to his home country, moving to Vitesse Arnham – the club he went professional with as a 19-year-old. Van Wolfswinkel made his professional debut in April of 2008 with Vitesse, and now returns for an undisclosed fee.

Van Wolfswinkel came to Norwich in 2013 with much fanfare, signing for a reported fee of $11 million – a club record signing at the time.

He proceeded to score just a single goal in 25 appearances during his first season in the Premier League, with Norwich finding itself relegated. He moved to Ligue 1 on loan with Norwich in the Championship, but still managed just five goals in 28 league appearances with St. Etienne. He never made another appearance for the Canaries, instead moving on loan again Real Betis last season, but flopped there too, scoring just once in 16 league appearances.

“I debuted in professional football on behalf of Vitesse and that is something you never forget,” van Wolfswinkel said upon signing. “After several foreign adventures I look forward to returning to the Dutch fields. I hope to find my niche and want to play well and add many goals and assists for Vitesse.”

Report: Arsenal continues to push for Lacazette transfer, readies another bid

LISBON, PORTUGAL - JULY 23:  Lyon's forward Alexandre Lacazette celebrates scoring Lyon«s goal during the Friendly match between Sporting CP and Lyon at Estadio Jose Alvalade on July 23, 2016 in Lisbon, Portugal.  (Photo by Carlos Rodrigues/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

According to Friday’s edition of French publication L’Equipe, Arsenal is set to table yet another improved bid for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette should the current one of $44 million be rejected.

The Gunners have spent little this transfer window, with the capture of Granit Xhaka their only incoming purchase thus far, and it has unsettled many supporters. The club has looked to calm those fears, going so far as to claim they are unable to spend big like many others across England, but on the inside they appear ready to spend for the French frontman.

Should Arsenal submit yet another bid for Lacazette, it would be their third. An initial bid for $39 million was rejected earlier this week, the Ligue 1 side announced on Wednesday.

“The reality is that the Arsenal made an offer of £30m,” the club confirmed in a statement, “which Olympique Lyonnais did not respond to for one reason only: OL wishes to keep Alexandre Lacazette because he is irreplaceable and one of the major leaders of Bruno Genesio’s group.”

The Frenchman scored 21 goals last season in Ligue 1 play, including 11 goals in the season’s final 10 games. His total haul was second in the league behind Zlatan Ibrahimovic‘s whopping 38.

It seems that, with this report out in public, Lyon would be silly to accept the new bid, given that Arsenal is likely to have another improved one soon to follow.

Europa League qualifying roundup: West Ham falls in Slovenia

NYON, SWITZERLAND - AUGUST 08:  The UEFA Europa League trophy is displayed during the 2014/15 UEFA Europa League Play-off round draw at the UEFA headquarters, The House of European Football on August 8, 2014 in Nyon, Switzerland.  (Photo by Harold Cunningham/Getty Images)
2 Comments

In what is often described as more of a distraction than anything for English teams, the Europa League third qualification round is under way, and a Premier League club is in danger of crashing out of the competition prior to the group stage for the third straight season.

West Ham fell 2-1 at NK Domzale, the third-placed finishers in the Slovenian league last season. Mark Noble grabbed an 18th-minute penalty, the only takeaway from an otherwise depressing road result. On the other side, 24-year-old Matic Crnic scored twice to put Domzale through.

Last season, the Hammers also dropped out of the competition in the third qualification round, to Romanian club Astra Giurgiu, although they had wins in the first and second rounds after entering the competition via fair play. In addition, Southampton also crashed out of last year’s Europa League in the playoff round to Danish side FC Mitdjylland. Hull City dropped out of the tournament two seasons ago in the playoff round.

West Ham has the opportunity to turn things around at home in a week as they host Domzale at the Olympic Stadium on Thursday, August 4 in what will be West Ham’s first competitive game in their new home.

Other notable scores from Europa League qualification include:

  • Lille 1-1 Gabala FC
  • Panathinaikos 1-0 AIK
  • Genk 1-0 Cork
  • Pandurii Targu Jiu 0-3 Maccabi Tel Aviv
  • Videoton 0-1 Midtjylland
  • Hertha BSC 1-0 Bronby
  • AZ Alkmaar 1-0 Giannina

Napoli chief calls Gonzalo Higuain a “traitor,” striker hits back

Argentinian striker Gonzalo Higuain shows the Juventus' jersey as he arrives in the team headquarters in Turin, Italy, Wednesday July 27, 2016. Italian champion Juventus said Tuesday it has signed  Higuain from Serie A rival Napoli for 90 million euros ($99 million). (Alessandro Di Marco/Ansa via Ap)
Associated Press
2 Comments

Gonzalo Higuain’s summer move to Juventus has not come without bad blood.

When the 28-year-old striker moved from Naples to Turin thanks to Juventus activating his release clause, it left Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis with a sour taste in his mouth. “There are those who say that talk of betrayal is an exaggeration, but I think the opposite,” De Laurentiis told Corierre dello Sport. “Because, in this decision, there is the full sense of betrayal, which also includes ingratitude.”

“We never seriously thought he would leave. Nor that he would have erased in a flash the memories of his three years in Naples.”

That didn’t sit well with Higuain, who fired back that it was de Laurentiis who drove him out of his former club.

“It was my decision to leave, but it was [De Laurentiis] who pushed me into making it,” Higuain told the media at his Juventus unveiling. “I’d like to thank the fans and my teammates, but not De Laurentiis. I no longer had a relationship with him; I couldn’t stand another minute with him.”

Higuain was more celebratory about his time at Stadio San Paulo. “These have been three amazing years,” Higuain said, “and I can only say thanks for all the love I was given, but this was a decision I took for my own reasons. I can understand that they are angry with me and I’ve seen the insults, but it is something I had to do and I’m happy about it.”

Napoli visits Turin in Serie A play on October 30, while Juventus will not travel to Naples for the return fixture until early April of 2017.