Andy Carroll loses red card appeal, reacts angrily, banned for three huge games (Video)

6 Comments

.

West Ham United and England striker Andy Carroll is banned for three games after the appeal against his red card versus Swansea on Saturday was thrown out.

An Independent Regulatory Commission deemed Carroll’s claim of wrongful dismissal was incorrect and the Hammers main forward will now miss the next three games with immediate effect.

Carroll, 25, has only just returned from a lengthy spell on the sidelines through injury, after the $22.5 million summer signing from Liverpool was just regaining his best form.

The incident in question, watch the video above to see a replay, came after Carroll had already set up both of Kevin Nolan’s goals in a crucial 2-0 win for the Hammers over the Swans. In the second half Carroll swung aroundd and flipped Swansea defender Chico Flores over in an aerial battle and then inadvertently struck the Swansea defender with his trailing forearm. Carroll was shown a straight-red by referee Howard Webb, as Flores reacted rather theatrically for a towering six foot plus defender. After the game West Ham manager Sam Allardyce, who has previous issues with Flores’ playacting, stated West Ham intended to appeal the ban.

As we now know, that appeal was unsuccessful and Carroll has reacted angrily via Twitter at the decision to hand him an immediate three game ban.

After losing their appeal the Hammers are now left woefully understaffed up front, with only new signing Marco Borriello and Carlton Cole options for Allardyce’s side in three pivotal matches coming up against relegation rivals Aston Villa and Norwich, as well as a home tie against Southampton.

Carroll will miss all three after his petulant flick out, which could cost West Ham dear. Whether or not you agree with the sending off, to raise your arm and react in an aggressive this day and age on the soccer pitch is a big no-no. We all know that. The striker, born and bred in Newcastle, has found that out the hard way as he’s now left the Hammers in a hole as their fight to stave off relegation will go on without their most lethal attacking weapon.

AC Milan completes signing of forward Kalinic

Getty Images
Leave a comment

MILAN (AP) Big-spending AC Milan has signed another player, completing the transfer of Croatia forward Nikola Kalinic from Fiorentina.

In a brief statement on Tuesday, Milan said it signed Kalinic “on a loan deal with obligation to buy.”

Kalinic has signed a four-year contract through to June 30, 2021.

Milan has been in negotiations with Fiorentina for the 29-year-old Kalinic for a while, and he missed training last week as he attempted to push through the move.

Milan, which was bought by a Chinese-led consortium in April, has spent more than 200 million euros ($234 million) in the offseason, signing Leonardo Bonucci, Andre Silva, Ricardo Rodriguez, Franck Kessie, Andrea Conti, Hakan Calhanoglu, Lucas Biglia and Mateo Musacchio.

Alan Shearer has a message for Wayne Rooney

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Alan Shearer finally has a friend.

On Monday Wayne Rooney scored in Everton’s 1-1 draw at Manchester City (see in the video above) and he became just the second-player in history to reach 200 goals in the Premier League.

Rooney, 31, still has some way to go to catch Shearer’s all-time record of 260 goals in the PL but the former Manchester United striker has a few more years left in the tank to try and get as close as he can.

Take a look at the video below as Shearer (or, Mary Poppins to Newcastle fans) delivers a message to Rooney.

What’s next for Julian Green, and what’s gone wrong?

Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Julian Green will have a new team again soon, in all likelihood.

A Stuttgart publication says Green is on the transfer market this month, just eight months after moving from Bayern Munich to the then-2.Bundesliga side for less than $500,000.

Now 22, Green is three and a half years removed from Jurgen Klinsmann’s long campaign to get him into a USMNT shirt. It’s been a little less time since he scored in extra time against Belgium in the World Cup, but also less than a year since he scored goals in consecutive USMNT matches. That shouldn’t be overlooked.

[ MORE: Man City 1-1 Everton | 3 things ]

Green scored one goal in 10 appearances for Stuttgart, who was promoted to the Bundesliga at the end of last season. He fell out of favor there, but was far from poor. Green completed 87 percent of his passes and averaged 1.3 dribbles per game (only four teammates had more, though 10 matches is a smaller sample size).

Before that, he spent parts of three seasons with Bayern Munich and made just four appearances, taking a loan to Hamburg in 2014-15 that saw him banished to Hamburg II after just five appearances.

What gives? Whether attitude or skill, Green has a lot of work to do to get back to a level where he’s a reasonable USMNT call-up (Green has a respectable three goals in eight call-ups, netting against Cuba and New Zealand in Oct. 2016). Still, it’s far from over for Green at 22.

There are legit questions here, as the list of not high-profile players Bayern Munich has used in its senior team at a young age and blossomed elsewhere isn’t necessarily impressive (at least relatively speaking). Nils Petersen, Thomas Kraft, and Sandro Wagner are exceptions to the rule. Better put: Bayern has a really good idea what it’s doing when it lets young players walk, and it begs discussion on the best path for Green.

It seems likely he could get a move to another 2.Bundesliga club, and there’s an outside shot he could get a look in the top flight. It would be interesting to know where the interest lies abroad. Would it be hard to acquire a work permit for France or Spain (England seems a hard sell)? Could a move to a free-flowing Eredivisie club work?

Obviously Major League Soccer clubs would welcome his talent and it’s difficult to imagine he wouldn’t be a useful piece in the United States’ top tier, even if on a short-term move as he looks to regain confidence. Would Green see it as below him?

Arsenal’s Wilshere sent-off after brawling in U-23 match vs. Man City

Photo by James Chance/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere isn’t standing around waiting for his next team, he’s fighting.

Period.

Wilshere got into with several members of Manchester City’s U-23 side in a match on Monday, with the English midfielder taking exception to a hockey-style hip check from City’s Matthew Smith.

[ MORE: Man City 1-1 Everton | 3 things ]

Shoving the 17-year-old Smith, Wilshere saw the City man take a tumble and stay prone. Still riled up, Wilshere tangled with City’s Tyreke Wilson.

Wilshere and Wilson were sent off.

Given his injury history, we’re not surprised Wilshere took exception to a hard and needless foul in a U-23 match.

The Arsenal man has been linked with moves to Newcastle, West Ham, AC Milan, and Sampdoria, but Arsene Wenger wants to keep Wilshere at the Emirates Stadium.