Real Sociedad de Futbol v Getafe CF - La Liga

Mexico striker Carlos Vela pulls out of World Cup 2014 squad

Leave a comment

It has been revealed that Mexican national team attacker Carlos Vela will turn down any invitation to be part of Mexico’s 23-man squad at the World Cup this summer.

Vela, 24, has scored 10 goals for Real Sociedad in La Liga this season and the former Arsenal youngster has blossomed into a fine goalscorer in Spain’s top-flight with 35 goals in 91 games during the past three seasons at Sociedad.

However his problems with the Mexican national team have been present for quite some time, and after El Tri’s head coach and a traveling part from the Mexican Football Federation flew to Spain to try and gauge Vela’s interest in participating in the World Cup this summer, they didn’t get the answer they were looking for.

In a statement on FMF’s website, they said that Vela wasn’t “100% mentally and emotionally ready” to play for Mexico at the World Cup.

(MORE: 2014 World Cup Draw – Full schedule for all group games)

The young attacker has been in fine form once again this season, despite Sociedad’s bowing out of the UEFA Champions League they are sitting in sixth spot in La Liga with double figures from their leading goalscorer Vela, and he also leads the team in assists with eight. All this adds up to a man that’s surely ready to play in the World Cup?

But he has previous.

During the 2010 World Cup Vela was injured against France and missed El Tri’s defeats to Uruguay and Argentina in South Africa. Soon after that, in September 2010, Vela was fined and banned from playing for the national team for six months after being his involvement in a party with his teammates in Monterrey after Mexico played Colombia. Since then, it’s been all downhill for the young attackers international career as he refused to play in the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup and the 2012 Olympic Games when Mexico called him up, then also turned down a call up to the squad back in March 2013 for games vs. Honduras and the USA.

Following De La Torre’s sacking in September 2013, Vela stated his intention to once again play for Mexico, but when new manager Manuel Vucetich named him in the squad, guess what? Vela declined.

In one final attempt to get the talented young attacker back on board and boost El Tri’s hopes of succeeding at Brazil 2014, the Mexican Football Federation have failed. It seems as though Vela has burnt all his bridges and he’s at the point of no return. It’s a shame on so many levels, as he’s a top player scoring goals for fun in La Liga and he could form a deadly partnership with Javier Hernandez up front.

But you can’t say Mexico haven’t tried to get Vela on board, the truth is, right now he just isn’t interested in representing his country and going to the World Cup.

Southampton: Van Dijk won’t leave, selling days likely done

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - MARCH 29:  Ralph Krueger the Southampton Chairman looks on during the Barclays Premier League match between Southampton and Newcastle United at St Mary's Stadium on March 29, 2014 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ralph Krueger doesn’t plan on selling any more big Southampton stars, and there’s none brighter than Virgil Van Dijk.

The Dutchman is perhaps the best center back in the Premier League, regularly linked with transfers to anywhere from Manchester City to Liverpool.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

But Krueger says Saints have had enough of selling big assets. Southampton has sold Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Sadio Mane, and Nathaniel Clyne in the past three seasons, and those are just the names to go to Liverpool. Morgan Schneiderlin and Victor Wanyama have also moved on from St. Mary’s.

From Sky Sports:

“We would like to move away from that and we feel confident this summer will be a lot quieter in Southampton and we can keep the core of this team moving forward for a few years.

“That is going to be important when you see how excellent the group is right now and how exciting the football is. The game we are playing is a pleasure to watch and a pleasure to be part of.”

Saints were the more effective side in a 3-2 EFL Cup Final loss to Manchester United this weekend, but are well off the pace in the race to make back-to-back trips into Europe.

It will be hard to hold onto Van Dijk and even new bright light Manolo Gabbiadini without Europe, but Krueger is a strong leader with the ability to convince almost anyone to buy into a plan.

Real Salt Lake signs Plata to multi-year DP deal

Real Salt Lake forward Joao Plata (8) gestures while walking during an MLS soccer game against New York City FC Saturday, May 23, 2015, in Sandy, Utah. (Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP) DESERET NEWS OUT; LOCAL TELEVISION OUT; MAGS OUT
Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP
Leave a comment

SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has re-signed forward Joao Plata to a multi-year contract and he will continue to hold a designated-player spot.

The 24-year-old was acquired from Toronto FC before the 2013 season and he has 30 goals and 30 assists in regular-season play with RSL.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

Plata ranks No. 3 on the team’s all-time assists list and No. 5 in goals. He has 33 goals and 35 assists during his MLS career.

Real Salt Lake begins the season Saturday when it hosts Toronto FC.

Gotze out indefinitely with metabolism disorder

ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS - NOVEMBER 06:  Mario Goetze (R) and Ann-Kathrin Broemmel attend the MTV Europe Music Awards 2016 on November 6, 2016 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.  (Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV)
Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze’s last few seasons have not fulfilled the expectations thrust about the World Cup-winning attacker.

Gotze, 24, scored the 113th minute goal that lifted Germany past Argentina in the 2014 World Cup, but has endured successive disappointing seasons between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

With just two goals this season, Gotze has played just 24 minutes since BVB came back from winter break. On Monday, the club revealed why: a metabolism disorder that will keep him out for an indefinite period of time. From Sky Sports:

“We are glad to know the reasons for Mario’s complaints and we are convinced that after recovering he will give us extra quality with his exceptional abilities,” said Dortmund’s director of sport Michael Zorc.

“Mario gets the full backing and maximum support from all of us at Borussia Dortmund on his way back.”

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Gotze at his best, and here’s hoping this problem is both curable and the reason for his struggles.

Liverpool hires EA Sports executive as new CEO

Leave a comment

Liverpool has named Peter Moore as the successor to chief executive office Ian Ayre.

Ayre, 53, is off to 1860 Munich this summer, and has stepped down early to allow Moore to take over.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

A Liverpool-born executive, Moore was the chief operating officer at EA Sports and has also worked with Microsoft and SEGA.

The move “completes a transitional phase” which saw several new names join the fray. From The Liverpool Echo:

The appointment completes a transition plan by FSG which included appointing Michael Edwards as sporting director while Billy Hogan was promoted to the role of managing director and chief commercial officer.