Since we’re into a lot of U.S. national team talk today (with our updated series on the U.S. roster outlook for Brazil … and if you haven’t taken a look, well, let’s get right on that, eh?) may as well extend the conversation a bit.
Because the call is going out from learned voices that Michael Bradley should captain the U.S. team that arrives in Brazil.
Seriously, is there a more obvious choice?
Yes, Landon Donovan seems to perform better as captain. And history has shown us that a highly motivate Landon Donovan is worth having. You could argue that a guy like that shouldn’t need peripheral elements to goose his motivational mojo, but he’s 31 years old, so he is what he is at this point.
Clint Dempsey’s has been Jurgen Klinsmann go-to as captain for the last few months. But that always looked like an ill fit (even before Dempsey began to struggle somewhat as a goal scorer). It was like a great suit handed to a good looking gentleman – and yet the suit just didn’t seem to fit.
Best guess: It was Klinsmann’s way of encouraging Dempsey to broaden his voice around the locker room. Dempsey is more of a “lead by example” type, and nothing wrong with that. But maybe the U.S. coach hoped to goose a little something more.
Either way, Bradley always seemed like the natural choice. Even more so than Tim Howard, a pro’s pro himself, but not as important to the overall enterprise as Bradley. (Only because Howard can be replaced; Brad Guzan is more like a 1A than a 2nd choice. But there isn’t a player in the pool who can replace Bradley, the midfield brain and easily the team’s top passer.)
There is no one more introspective around the U.S. team than Bradley. There is no one who “thinks” his way around the game more than he does. I still remember listening to the U.S midfielder answer questions thoughtfully about 18 months ago after a match in Kansas City, always with something quite wise to say. And I thought then: this guy is the next U.S. captain.
I haven’t changed my mind.
Alan Pardew knows why Crystal Palace was failing when he got fired, knows he could’ve fixed it, and seems pretty bummed he’s not there any more.
Pardew emerged to make the comments after Sam Allardyce helmed another upset win for Palace, a 2-1 win over Liverpool which joins defeats of Arsenal and Chelsea.
The win moves Palace 12th, and the Eagles have a legitimate shot at a top-half finish despite their poor start to the season. But Pardew wants fans to know it was about a personnel mistake, and that Palace dropped into the relegation zone after he was fired.
[ PL PREVIEW: Chelsea vs. Southampton ]
The Northeast Chronicle says Pardew aimed to bring former Newcastle left backs Davide Santon and Paul Dummett to Palace, but couldn’t get the moves over the line. Then Pape Souare was hurt in a car accident and Palace was in trouble.
Over to you, Pards (From the Chronicle’s Lee Ryder):
“We were kicking ourselves not to have any left-footed cover. We were playing right-footed players there and things were exploiting that situation. We became one dimensional.
“I was really disappointed I didn’t get to the window because Sam Allardyce followed me and the results didn’t really improve until the new players got bedded in and they made a big difference.”
Allardyce brought in Patrick Van Aanholt from Sunderland and Jeff Schlupp from Leicester to shore up the left side.
The story is made more amusing by the fact that Allardyce has not hesitated to make Palace’s return to form almost exclusively about his influence, while Pardew bleeds the very same blood.
Who’s on first?
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) Atletico Madrid officials are at sport’s highest court to appeal against a FIFA transfer ban that will prevent the club from signing youth players from overseas during the coming offseason.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport is hearing the appeal Monday, but says a verdict is not expected immediately.
Atletico and FIFA previously agreed to seek a CAS verdict by June, before the summer trading period opens.
[ MORE: Griezmann’s advisor speaks on future ]
FIFA imposed a one-year ban on registering new players as punishment for Atletico breaking rules introduced to prevent child trafficking and luring youngsters from their home country.
Atletico denies wrongdoing, though it agreed not to sign players in January while its appeal went ahead.
Spain’s soccer federation has been criticized for its role in player registrations, with Barcelona and Real Madrid also having served FIFA transfer bans.
- Chelsea won 2-0 on Oct. 30
- Saints won fixture 3-1 last season
- Chelsea 13W-2L at home this season
- Blues lead all-time 40W-28D-28L
Chelsea aims to stack some wins following a momentum-restoring weekend win when Southampton visits Stamford Bridge on Tuesday (Watch live at 2:45 p.m. ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com).
The Blues have lost two of four inside the Premier League — home to Crystal Palace and at Manchester United — but beat Spurs 4-2 in a thrilling FA Cup semifinal this weekend, extending their season to a May 27 final against Arsenal.
Saints are coming off their first loss in four outings, a 3-0 home beatdown at the hands of Manchester City. Now to the road, where Southampton has the eighth-best record in the Premier League. And Saints boast Manolo Gabbiadini, who Chelsea boss Antonio Conte says has one of the world’s best left foots.
What they’re saying
Chelsea’s David Luiz on Antonio Conte: “He’s a fantastic person before a fantastic manager, so we talk a lot, every day, because we have a great relationship,’ he explained. We try to give our best for our club and he tries to help me with his intelligence for football to improve my football so I am very happy to work with him. He did an amazing job in this game.”
Southampton’s Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg on facing Chelsea: “Of course, you say every game is important, but somehow, when you play against number one, it gets a little bit more important. I saw the game they lost against Manchester United, and now they are a little bit under pressure, and we also want to continue getting good results. Chelsea away is, of course, maybe the toughest game this year, but I think that we have the possibility to get the result.”
Rested Southampton provides a real test, but one which Chelsea finds a way to pass thanks to a relatively rested Costa and Hazard. This is Costa’s day, with a brace in a 2-1 win.
Antoine Griezmann has maintained a desire to stay at Atletico Madrid, but his advisor says the French striker has five realistic destinations for next season if he doesn’t stay at the Vicente Calderon.
Speaking on the French outlet Telefoot, advisor Eric Olhats says the 26-year-old Griezmann is limited by his $109 million release clause.
[ MORE: Zlatan’s comeback vow; Mata close ]
Griezmann has 25 goals and 11 assists this season, slightly lighter on the goals and a step up in helpers with Atleti alive in two competitions this season. He’s still played centrally and wide right, and Yannick Carrasco is starring on the left.
From Sky Sports:
“There is an unavoidable €100m clause so that restricts the number of candidates. You have United, City, Chelsea, Barcelona and Real Madrid.
“United were the first to come and see us and the most concrete in their wishes.”
Griezmann to the Premier League is a move many would love to see, or at least a new challenge for the fantastic attacker. With respect to Barcelona and Real Madrid, we’ve seen plenty of top La Liga talents move within the division.
Of course, there would be something special to both Diego Simeone and Griezmann winning the UEFA Champions League and defending it at Atleti. Something tells us their fate in this year’s semifinal against Real Madrid may tip the scales for both men, or at least Griezmann.