Bruce Arena

Bruce Arena handed long-term contract extension by LA Galaxy

Leave a comment

On Thursday the LA Galaxy announced that they’ve extended Bruce Arena’s stay as Head Coach and General Manager, as one of the top coaches in U.S. history will continue to be a fixture in Major League Soccer for many years to come.

Arena, 62, has signed a “multi-year contract extension” after enjoying several seasons of success since joining LA in 2008. Since then the Galaxy have made three MLS Cup finals, winning back-to-back titles in 2011 and 2012, while also winning the Western Conference title in three of the last five seasons and capturing the MLS Supporters’ Shield in 2010 and 2010.

Since 2008, Arena has a 82-46-44 regular season record, as the Californian outfit have become the most recognizable brand in U.S. soccer.

Speaking about Arena’s decision to extend his current deal Dan Beckerman, President and CEO of AEG which owns the Galaxy, shared his delight.

“We are very pleased to sign Bruce Arena to a multi-year contract extension,” Beckerman said in a club statement. “Bruce is one of the finest coaches in the history of soccer in the United States. His commitment to the LA Galaxy, the club’s winning tradition and continued excellence on and off the field is unrivaled. We look forward to the team’s continued success under Bruce’s management.”

A brash character who does things his own way, Arena is a man who often divides opinion across the U.S. soccer spectrum. But you just can’t argue with his record over a long and glittering career as a coach in MLS.

Arena recently became the first coach in MLS history to win four MLS Cup titles and has been named MLS Coach of the Year three times. Coaching D.C. United, the U.S. national team and now the LA Galaxy, Arena has become an institution on the U.S. soccer scene spanning over two decades. As coach of the USMNT, Arena led the Nats to the FIFA World Cup twice, including an historic quarterfinal berth in 2002 in Japan/Korea and during his time in charge of the national team he compiled a 71-30-29 all-time record.

“I’m honored to remain in this role with the preeminent soccer club in the United States,” Arena said. “I appreciate the continued support and confidence from Mr. Anschutz, Mr. Beckerman, Chris Klein and my staff and players as we head into the 2014 season.”

With Arena on board for the foreseeable future, what does this mean for the LA club? More success, more domination and likely more trophies.

Arena’s stranglehold as MLS most-respected and driven coach is unlikely to diminish during the twilight of his coaching career. if anything we’ve seen a more outspoken and heated Arena in the past few MLS seasons, but his ability to find the best young talent and manage star names, like DPs Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane and David Beckham, will hold him in good stead with the Galaxy.

A talented crop of youngsters, Jose Villarreal, Jack McBean, Zardes and Omar Gonzalez have broken into the team under Arena’s tutelage and despite Villarreal on loan to Cruz Azul during the 2014 MLS season, expect Arena’s emphasis to still be on blending youth with experience as the Galaxy look to add another MLS Cup to the trophy cabinet.

Arena’s new deal means more of the same for LA. Success.

Transfer rumor roundup: Luiz to return to Chelsea? Spurs interesting in Isco

FBL-ENG-PR-FULHAM-CHELSEA
Leave a comment

In a shocking twist, Chelsea could be prepared to bring back a former defender.

The Blues are reportedly lining up a bid for Brazilian central defender David Luiz, who exited the club two years ago to head to Paris Saint-Germain in Ligue 1. According to Daily Mail, Chelsea would pay up to roughly $41 million for the PSG centerback.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Back in 2014, Chelsea received an astounding $65 million for Luiz from the French champions, but he has quickly grown out of favor with the club.

New manager Antonio Conte is looking to sure up the backline before end of the transfer window, and Luiz appears to be a final effort to do that after missing out on several defenders, including Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly.


AS is reporting that Tottenham could be in for Real Madrid midfielder Isco.

While Spurs currently boast one of the youngest and most promising teams in the Premier League, Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly keen on adding another playmaker into the fold as Isco’s future in Madrid is unknown.

Isco would leave on a loan deal, and while Spurs are seen as a contender for the Spaniard, Malaga is said to be interested in the player as well.


Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala could be on his way to Porto after joining the English side two years ago.

According to the Guardian, the 25-year-old would likely return to the Portuguese side on loan after disappointing for the Citizens since his arrival in 2014.

With the addition of John Stones this summer, Mangala has fallen further down the pecking order with new manager Pep Guardiola.

Calum Chambers joins Middlesbrough on loan

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 30: Calum Chambers of Arsenal and Scott Arfield of Burnley compete for the ball  during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Arsenal and Burnley at Emirates Stadium on January 30, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images)
Paul Gilham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.

[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]

The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.

Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.

Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.

“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”

Arsenal adds defensive depth, signs Mustafi from Valencia

GETAFE, SPAIN - APRIL 24:  Shkodran Mustafi of Valencia applauds fans after Valencia drew 2-2 with Getafe CF during the La Liga match between Getafe CF and Valencia CF at Coliseum Alfonso Perez on April 24, 2016 in Getafe, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
Denis Doyle/Getty Images[
Leave a comment

The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.

[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]

Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.

Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.

Hope Solo reveals she won’t play in NWSL for rest of 2016

CHICAGO, IL - JULY 09:  Hope Solo #1 of the United States kicks the ball up the field as she posts her100th career shut-out against South Africa in a friendly match at Soldier Field on July 9, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. The United States defeated South Africa 1-0.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.

On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.

The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.

Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.