Jose Mourinho irate, as Ashley Cole to New York Red Bulls rumors resurface

2 Comments

Ashely Cole joining the New York Red Bulls is one of those rumors that just won’t die down.

On Friday Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho waded into the debate on Cole’s future, as the England international left back has spent the majority of the 2013-14 campaign on the sidelines behind Cesar Azpilicueta in the Chelsea team.

Many believe Cole will be on the move this summer, and Mourinho admitted the 33-year-old does have a future at Stamford Bridge beyond this season. However, the ‘Special One’ also stated that Cole may want to move on and discussed New York’s apparent interest in the veteran defender.

Asked about Thierry Henry (Cole’s former Arsenal teammate) apparently sounding out Cole for a switch Stateside to MLS, Mourinho got a little touchy and said the following, as reported by a good pal of mine, the Telegraph’s Jeremy Wilson.

“You have to ask Thierry Henry,” Mourinho said. “You are speaking about Thierry Henry, so speak with Thierry Henry. Maybe Thierry is doing with Red Bulls the same as David Beckham is doing in Miami. Maybe he’s buying Red Bulls. Yes, Cole has (got a future at Chelsea), but maybe Thierry has a better proposal.”

Mourinho was winding the media up a little with the comment about Henry owning the Red Bulls, but his irritation levels were apparently quite high after also being asked why he always persists with mind games. To which he replied, “With me, it’s always mind-games. Everything I say and do is mind-games. No? The only thing that is not mind-games is the result. That’s not mind-games.”

(MORE: Why the “Ashley Cole to Red Bulls” story is just silly)

So with Jose in a spiky mood and further rumors of Cole’s departure away from Chelsea this summer agitating him, could there be truth behind this never-ending story?

It would be quite surprising to see Cole stick around in West London past this summer, as he will be offered a new one-year deal by the Blues but I doubt he will accept it as he’ll likely sit on the bench behind Azpilicueta for the whole of next season too. I’ve also got wind of Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh being at Chelsea’s Cobham Training ground to speak with Cole earlier on this season, as New York try to add another DP to the mix at Red Bull Arena. But I don’t think Cole would actually be a DP in New York, most likely his wages would be significantly less than if he stayed at Chelsea, so that’s a big indicator that he may remain in London.

Many believe this move would be bad for RBNY, and see little worth in paying an aging left back top dollar in MLS.

But with these rumors persisting for so long, it looks like everything will shake out at the end of this PL season. Then we will see if Cole is willing to pop across the pond for the final few years of his career, or spend his twilight warming his butt cheeks on the bench at Chelsea.

WATCH: Pair of inspiring Academy videos from Men In Blazers

@MenInBlazers
Leave a comment

Men In Blazers produced a pair of videos on two teens from rival academies that should give all young players a sense of gratitude and inspiration for their chances in American soccer.

New York City FC Academy center back Prince Amponsah and New York Red Bulls Academy destroyer Amadeo Chapru-Tate get the mini-doc treatment from Roger Bennett.

Amponsah comes from Ghana, and his family moved to the United States where their son found his way to the youth national team.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

Chapru-Tate comes from Haiti, adopted by his parents after a three-year process. His first game saw him score an own goal, but that was not a sign of what’s to come for the 15-year-old.

Confederations Cup: Scenarios before final group matches

Photo by Francois Nel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Seven of eight nations remain alive for the knockout rounds after two-thirds of the group stage at the 2017 Confederations Cup in Russia.

Only New Zealand has been eliminated, though the underdogs aren’t the sort of nations who will quit ahead of its group finale against Portugal.

That’s one of two Saturday matches, along with Russia versus Mexico, with two more on the docket for Sunday when Germany meets Cameroon and Chile duels with Australia.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

We’ve seen zany finishes at the Confederations Cup before, as the U.S. beat Egypt 3-0 and Brazil topped Italy 3-0 on the final day of group play in 2009 to send the Americans past Italy and into the knockout rounds despite a tournament-opening 3-1 loss to the Italians.

Group A

Draws will be enough to send Mexico and Portugal into the knockout rounds, with Mexico currently leading the group by virtue of a single goal scored (The two sides drew 2-2 in the opener).

We mentioned New Zealand’s status as a wild card, but hosts Russia will be under immense pressure against Mexico. The cynic will note that the tournament’s location could help the Russians beyond simple home-field advantage, while a bigger cynic may not that Mexico has been the beneficiary of plenty of officials’ whistles and non-whistles in recent years.

The safe bet is Portugal to win and Mexico to advance via draw or win.

Group B

No one’s safe, but Chile is feeling very good about its chances coming into Sunday’s match against Australia in Moscow. The Chileans battered Australia at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, and a draw would give them a place in the next round.

The Socceroos need a two-goal win to pass Chile and assure a spot in the next round. A one-goal win could also do the trick for Australia if Germany loses and Australia outscores the Germans (who currently hold a one-goal advantage).

Germany knows it’s result-and-in for them, while Cameroon faces the longest odds. Not only do the Africans need to upset the Germans, but they need a two-goal win and help. If Cameroon won by one, it would fail to pass Germany.

Southampton to hire Pellegrino: “No last minute hitches expected”

Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Southampton Daily Echo says reports of Frank De Boer’s hiring at Crystal Palace were triggered by news that Southampton favors Mauricio Pellegrino.

De Boer has not been announced by Palace, but Pellegrino’s appointment could come first. The Argentine is expected to get the Saints job.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

Pellegrino, De Boer and Patrick Vieira had been reported as options for Saints, and Pellegrino has emerged as the favorite.

The Southampton and Palace jobs are the only vacant seats in the Premier League, with Watford hiring Marco Silva and Leicester keeping Craig Shakespeare.

From The Southampton Daily Echo:

Palace are believed to have been told that Pellegrino favours joining Saints, and therefore they moved quickly to offer De Boer the job.

It removes the last remaining obstacle and gives Saints a clear run in negotiating a deal to make the 45-year-old Argentinian their new manager, with no last minute hitches expected.

Again, this is going to be a hectic time for Saints fans. That’s not because Pellegrino isn’t a promising hire; He’s a top prospect. No, we’re just worried for the amount of times Mauricio Pellegrino is going to be called by the name of former Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino.

Juve’s Kean could leave club over tractor dispute

Photo by Mario Carlini / Iguana Press/Getty Images
Leave a comment

No tractors, no teenager.

Moise Kean, 17, broke into the Juventus senior team last season with a trio of Serie A appearances that concluded with a goal against Bologna on May 27.

He also made a token appearance in the UEFA Champions League against Sevilla, which all-in-all is a pretty solid debut for the century’s first birth to make an appearance in a Top Five league in Europe.

[ MORE: Fabinho has interest in Man Utd ]

About that contract, though.

Kean’s father, Biorou, says Juventus has broken a contractual promise to his family, and that could send the teenager into the transfer market. Biorou says that his son’s 18th birthday — Feb. 28, 2018 — could trigger Moise Kean leave town as “an adult.”

From Sky Sports:

“Juventus offered a contract of €700,000-a-year, which was fine, but the problem is they had also promised me some tractors for my agricultural business in the Ivory Coast, but now they say there is no budget for them.

“I own several hectares of land in the Ivory Coast which I would like to cultivate with rice and corn. I’m an agronomist. I asked for agricultural materials and they told me “no problem.”

Now, though, those tractors are not in the Ivory Coast, and Biorou claims that he never signed a contract with agent Mino Raiola. It all sets the table for further complains and a transfer, so it’s worth keeping an eye on this odd saga.