SACKED: Fulham fire Rene Meulensteen, hire Felix Magath in dramatic twist


On Friday evening Fulham’s dismal Premier League season took yet another dramatic turn as head coach Rene Meulensteen, who had been in charge for just over two months, was fired and German coach Felix Magath was appointed on an 18-month deal as the new man at the helm at Craven Cottage.

The shock move comes after recent good performances from the Cottagers against Manchester United and Liverpool yielded just one point and Magath becomes the West London clubs third manager of the 2013-14 Premier League season, after Martin Jol was given his marching orders in December.

Speaking about the decision to relieve Meulensteen of his duties and appoint Magath on the club website, Fulham’s American owner Shahid Khan had the following to say.

“Felix is an accomplished manager with multiple honors in the Bundesliga and a hunger to replicate his success with Fulham in the Barclays Premier League. I’m especially impressed with the reputation Felix has for coming into clubs at difficult times, often late in the season, and lifting them to their potential and beyond. Felix knows that is precisely the task awaiting him at Fulham, and he made it abundantly clear that he wants and is ready for the opportunity.”

In the statement on the website, Khan doesn’t mention Meulensteen but reports from various outlets in the UK state Meulensteen has been fired.

He has been replaced by Magath, a 60-year-old German coach who has previously managed a whole host of Bundesliga sides including Wolfsburg, Bayern Munich, Werder Bremen and Schalke amongst others. He won the Bundesliga with Bayern twice and once with Wolfsburg and according to Fulham’s owner the clubs CEO Alastair Mackintosh recommended Magath for “his history of producing results for Clubs with similar challenges as ours.”

Magath now has 12 games to get Fulham off the bottom of the PL standings, as they are now four points from safety with plenty of work to do.

Khan also went on to give some other reasons for bringing in Magath, and stated that recent results have now been good enough.

“Our Club has shown promise in recent matches, but the fact is we have not won a league match since January 1,” Khan said. “Given our form, we can no longer merely hope that our fortunes will finally turn. And with 12 matches remaining and at least four points separating us from safety, we certainly can no longer post empty results. Action was required.”

Can Magath do it? Or will this sudden managerial change plunge Fulham’s season into further disarray?

Ferguson still being asked about Moyes: “We chose a good football man”

David Moyes Alex Ferguson
AP Photo/Martin Rickett/PA
Leave a comment

In some ways absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it seems Sir Alex Ferguson‘s life after Manchester United has been filled with second guessing.

Whether the sales of Paul Pogba and Gerard Pique or the appointment of David Moyes, “Fergie” apparently can’t rest on his title-winning laurels.

[ MORE: Tax evasion charges dropped against Messi, but not his father ]

One thing that seems to bug him more than anything, though, is the idea that he hand-picked David Moyes to be his successor, and should be responsible for his failings.

In a new documentary, Ferguson both defends the appointment of Moyes and explains the process behind his choice.

From the BBC:

“I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man,” Ferguson says. “Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“Jose Mourinho was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jurgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis Van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.”

The article also makes another key point, according to Ferguson: the manager claims he only gave United a few months notice that he’d be stepping down. That certainly didn’t provide a lot of lead time to secure a big boss.

What do you make it of it? If your answer is, “When can we stop talking about Moyes and United?” I tend to be with you, but it’s a talking point.

Tax evasion charges against Messi dropped; Case vs father continues

FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Barcelona F.C. star Lionel Messi, left, arrives at a court to answer questions in a tax fraud case in Gava, near Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Messi's father in a tax fraud case. Prosecutors have cleared Messi of wrongdoing but are seeking an 18-month prison sentence for his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, for allegedly defrauding Spain's tax office of 4 million euros ($4.5 million) in unpaid taxes from 2007-09. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti, File)
AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Leave a comment

Lionel Messi will not face charges that he and his father defrauded the government in millions of unpaid taxes, though his father is not so lucky.

Messi’s father, Jorge, could face 18 months in jail and an approximate $2.25 million fine despite a voluntary payment of $5.5 million in 2013 to “correct” the missed taxes.

[ WATCH: Hilarious spoof pegs Messi, Ronaldo as “Friends” ]

The Barcleona star had plead ignorance to the charges, something that failed to impress prosecutors. But, it apparently worked out in his favor on Tuesday.

From the BBC:

Prosecutors allege that Jorge avoiding paying tax on his son’s earnings by using offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay between 2007 and 2009.

Messi’s lawyers argued that the player had “never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing” the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported.