There may be some respite after all.
According to German paper Die Welt, a person only identified as a “senior FIFA employee” said that despite FIFA’s public claims that they are adamant about making Qatar 2022 work, moving the event to another country is a “serious option.”
This comes on the heels of a report in The Guardian that over 400 Nepalese immigrant workers have died since construction began on World Cup stadiums in the sweltering hot country.
With the human rights situation in shambles, the report suggests that a decision will be made by the final 2014 meeting of the FIFA Executive Committee. The senior employee said “there would be enough time for the tournament to be reassigned.”
The Guardian report on the Nepalese death toll comes from the Prevasi Nepali Co-ordination Committee, an organization the Guardian labels as a respected human rights group.
It also warns that the death toll could reach a staggering 4,000 by the time the 2022 World Cup comes around. This number was posed back in September, but apparently it did little to scare FIFA off at the time.
The human rights allegations, coupled with the need to move the World Cup to the winter to avoid stifling heat, could apparently be enough to move the venue location.
However, at least publicly, FIFA president Sepp Blatter and the rest of the organization have held firm in their belief that an in-house solution can be found.
The Executive Committee has not been 100% behind the decision to award Qatar the massive undertaking. Back in the summer of last year, Executive Committee member Theo Zwanziger labeled the decision a “blatant mistake.”
Zwanziger as recently as this Thursday said, speaking at a human rights hearing by the European Union, that in Qatar, “regarding human rights there is no more time.” The hearing apparently resulted in an ultimatum to Qatar that they must come up with a plan to improve working conditions by Wednesday.