Report: David Beckham aims to bring superstar Cristiano Ronaldo to Miami

13 Comments

Take these reports with a pinch of salt, or in fact a large dose of it.

But regardless of its plausibility, it’s hard not to get excited about the potential for Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo heading to Miami in 2017 and signing for David Beckham’s Major League Soccer franchise.

Just think about it… A match made in heaven?

According to various reports across Europe, plans for Beckham to bring in Ronaldo as Miami’s first player have been revealed, as the Portuguese superstar and reigning FIFA Ballon d’Or winner would come to MLS on a massive Designated Player contract when Miami arrive. With Becks and his business partners desperate to make Miami a success, it seems like bringing in Ronaldo would instantly give the team worldwide recognition. Plus, it would add to Miami’s list of sporting superstars, as Ronaldo would rub shoulders with LeBron and co. to help MLS burst onto the scene in South Florida and beyond.

(MORE: Ronaldo wins 2013 Ballon d’Or, crowned world’s best player)

Like I suggested, plenty of these rumors will crop up between now and 2017 when Miami are expected to enter MLS, but let’s look at the facts.

Right now 29-year-old Ronaldo has a contract that runs until 2018 with Real and by the time Miami are about to enter MLS, he will be in his early 30’s. That’s the exact same time Beckham left Real Madrid to join MLS and the Galaxy, as the duo’s career paths have taken extremely similar paths. Like Beckham, Ronaldo turned up at Old Trafford as a teenager and under the tutelage of Sir Alex Ferguson, they both won every domestic and European honor on offer while playing for United. Becks then switched Manchester for Madrid, which is also what Ronaldo has done and both had flourished (Ronaldo arguably more so) in the Spanish capital for Real.

(MORE: Ronaldo helps out young fan in Miami, after he ran on the pitch to hug Madrid superstar)

Now, it seems, Ronaldo could be heading Stateside with Beckham harboring ambitions to make the Portuguese national team captain, and one of the greatest players Europe has ever produced, MLS’ next big star.

Ronaldo has visited the States on preseason tours for many years with United and Real, and is said to love having vacations in the USA. Also, if you remember last year when a game was in Miami, a young fan ran onto the pitch and Ronaldo embraced him with a warm hug to diffuse any unrest and showed his love for the people coming to watch him play in the Floridian city.

All of this adds up to a “maybe” judgement, as Ronaldo heading to MLS is obviously a few years away as he still aims to break records and win more titles as FIFA’s best player in the world while playing for Real.

However, when you start to think about it, Beckham bringing Ronaldo to MLS in three years time isn’t as far-fetched as it would have once seemed.

Prosecutors question Beckenbauer in World Cup fraud case

Boris Streubel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

BERN, Switzerland (AP) Swiss authorities say prosecutors have questioned Germany soccer great Franz Beckenbauer in their ongoing World Cup fraud case.

[ MORE: Shorthanded USMNT looks to build momentum vs. Honduras ]

Criminal proceedings against Beckenbauer and three other German members of the 2006 World Cup organizing committee were opened in 2015. The four are suspected of fraud, money laundering, criminal mismanagement, and misappropriation relating to a payment of 6.7 million euros ($7 million) to FIFA in 2005.

[ MORE: Five questions for USMNT ahead of Honduras WCQ ]

The Swiss attorney general’s office said in a statement to The Associated Press on Thursday that federal prosecutors questioned Beckenbauer earlier in the day in Bern, adding that “Beckenbauer was cooperative.”

Beckenbauer’s home in Austria was raided last year for evidence on behalf of Swiss federal prosecutors investigating corruption linked to FIFA.

Report: Man City launching massive bid for AC Milan’s Donnarumma

Maurizio Lagana/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Gianluigi Donnarumma has quickly established himself as the best young goalkeeper in European soccer, and AC Milan won’t be letting the 18-year-old go without a pretty penny in return.

[ MORE: Schedule, preview for UEFA World Cup qualifying ]

According to Sky Sport Italia, Manchester City is preparing a massive bid in the range of $130 to $160 million to acquire the AC Milan shot-stopper as the English side’s goalkeeping situation is still unsettled.

The Citizens have failed to hunker down at the goalkeeper position this season despite spending big to bring in Barcelona’s Claudio Bravo, who has underperformed. Willy Caballero has also been shaky at times for the English giants, while on-loan keeper Joe Hart will almost certainly move on from the club over the summer.

Donnarumma is currently second in Serie A in saves (110), trailing only Crotone’s Alex Cordaz, who has stopped two more shots.

Since turning professional in 2015, Donnarumma has quickly enjoyed his rise through Italian football for both AC Milan and with the national team. After previously featuring for the Under-15, U-17 and U-21 sides, Donnarumma has established himself as the surefire replacement for Gianluigi Buffon once he retires from the international game.

Honduran federation suggests U.S. Soccer gamesmanship ahead of WCQ

Pedro Vilela/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Three critical points are on the line for the U.S. Men’s National Team and Honduras on Friday night when CONCACAF World Cup qualifying returns to action, but the Central American side may have some added motivation.

[ MORE: Shorthanded USMNT looks to build momentum vs. Honduras ]

In the lead up to their Hexagonal meeting in San Jose, California, Honduran federation president Jorge Salomon has suggested that his national team has had difficulty finding training facilities because of U.S. Soccer’s gamesmanship.

[ MORE: Five USMNT questions ahead of WCQs ]

Salomon told Honduran outlet Diez that Los Catrachos were forced to train in Fort Myers, Florida ahead of the match because of U.S. Soccer’s attempt to sabotage Honduras’ comfortability ahead of Friday.

“That’s why we went to (Fort Myers),” Salomon told Diez. “We found two (fields) but they weren’t up to the standard for a national team.

“They have blocked us from some fields to train, but that is part of the sporting psychological battle you face when you are the visiting team,” Salomon added. “It’s no problem, we have done a good job.”

Meanwhile, Goal USA is reporting that U.S. Soccer claims to have provided Honduras with the same resources that it does for every visiting opponent and that it was Honduras’ choice to train in Florida as “a cost-saving measure.”

Rapinoe named to USWNT roster ahead of April friendlies

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The U.S. Women’s National Team wasn’t at its best the last time they stepped out for the SheBelieves Cup, but Jill Ellis’ group will have a chance to find their feet again next month as they prepare to face Russia in a pair of friendlies.

[ MORE: Five questions for USMNT ahead of Honduras WCQ ]

Ellis announced her 24-player roster on Thursday, which was headlined by the inclusion of Seattle Reign midfielder Megan Rapinoe.

“This is our last chance to get together before the NWSL starts and we’ll take full advantage of the training time as well as the two matches against a team in preparation for the European championships,” said Ellis. “Following these matches, my staff and I will begin a heavy investment in attending and evaluating the NWSL games as well as tracking our players overseas before we get back together for our European trip in the summer. I’m very much looking forward to our domestic league starting.”

Back-to-back losses to England and France in the SheBelieves Cup gave the USWNT an unwanted start to 2017, however, the Russians will give the U.S. another strong test in April.

The USWNT will play the first of the two friendlies on April 6 in Dallas at Toyota Stadium before meeting the Russians three days later in Houston at BBVA Compass Stadium.

Here’s the entire 24-player roster for the USWNT ahead of their Russia friendlies.

Goalkeepers (3): Jane Campbell (Houston Dash), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)

Defenders (6): Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Megan Oyster (Boston Breakers), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars)

Midfielders (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Boston Breakers), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash/Manchester City), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign)

Forwards (7): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea FC), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride/Olympique Lyonnais, FRA), Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (UCLA), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Lynn Williams (NC Courage)