Rooney makes extension official, ensuring Manchester United’s future has a focal point

2 Comments

Reports of Manchester United’s demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Sure, it will be a struggle to even make this year’s Premier League top four.

But as David Moyes prepares this team for a charge back up the table next season – and let’s be honest, that has to be a big focus at this point – Wayne Rooney’s autograph on that packet of paper is the most important piece to next year’s puzzle.

Rooney tweeted a picture of him and David Moyes at a round table with the signed contract in front of them, sealing the heavily-speculated extension, reported to be worth $500,000 and keeping the 28-year-old at Old Trafford until 2019.

With reports earlier in the season that a lack of Champions League qualification could see Rooney out the Manchester United door, his signature ensures that he will be around next season for the fight to return Manchester United to their rightful place.

“I’m happy everything is now finalized and I can carry on concentrating on my football,” Rooney said via his official website.

No kidding. With reports in the last 12 months all over the spectrum, including but not limited to the player requesting a transfer on numerous occasions, the media swirling is over…for now.

Our very own Joe Prince-Wright called Rooney the “heartbeat” of the Red Devils, and there isn’t a more accurate way to describe the Liverpool-born striker’s importance to the squad.

If Rooney had chosen to ride out his contract and depart, it would have qualified as a disaster for the club, requiring Moyes and company to essentially start from scratch.  No matter your stance on giving Rooney the money he received, there is plenty of evidence to illustrate his vitality to the club.

“I know the direction that this club is going in,” Rooney said when asked about the effect the club’s Champions League status had on his decision.”If we don’t make it this season then we will come back stronger and claim a Champions League spot next season.”

He has nine goals and 11 assists this Premier League season – 11 and 19 across all competitions – and has carried the team with attacking stars like Robin van Persie and Danny Welbeck injured at various points during the year.

Now, let speculation begin on the future of the Manchester United armband. With Nemanja Vidic departing at the end of the season, and Rooney sure to stick around, there will be plenty of calls for the 10-year Old Trafford veteran United’s next captain.

Before all that starts, United has completed one small step for this year’s chase, and one giant leap towards a future return to glory.

Bundesliga wrap: Dortmund wins in Stoger’s managerial debut

Twitter/@Sanchooo10
Leave a comment

For the first time since late September, Borussia Dortmund has won a league match, while Leipzig’s slip up opens the door for Bayern Munich to extend its lead in Germany’s top flight.

[ MORE: Chelsea tops Huddersfield, level on points with Man United ]

Here’s a brief look at all of Tuesday’s Bundesliga action.

Mainz 0-2 Borussia Dortmund

10 points separates Dortmund from league leaders Bayern Munich, who also have a match in hand, but for the moment, the bleeding his stopped. BVB picked up a crucial win on Tuesday to end its domestic woes upon manager Peter Stoger’s debut. The side’s drought stretched over an eight-match winless period. Second-half goals from Sokratis and Shinji Kagawa moved Dortmund into the top four, while Mainz remains 15th in the league table.

 

Wolfsburg 1-1 Red Bull Leipzig

Meanwhile, RB Leipzig’s form continues to slide downward after the second-place side dropped points in its fourth straight match across all competitions. The road side’s fortunes were dampened early on when Paul Verhaegh converted from the penalty spot, however, Marcel Halstenberg did manage to pull a goal back for Leipzig in the 52nd minute. Leipzig’s misfortunes carried on in stoppage time though when Dayot Upamecano was sent off after picking up his second yellow card of the day.


The rest of Tuesday’s scores

Hamburg 1-2 Frankfurt
Freiburg 1-0 Borussia Monchengladbach

Inter beats 3rd-division Pordenone 5-4 on penalties in Cup

Albano Angilletta/ANSA via AP
Leave a comment

MILAN (AP) Inter Milan scraped into the Italian Cup quarterfinals after the Serie A leader was taken to penalties by third-division Pordenone on Tuesday.

[ MORE: Chelsea tops Huddersfield, moves level on points with Man United ]

Pordenone goalkeeper Simone Perilli pulled off several saves in regulation time to keep the game scoreless, and he almost proved to be the hero during the shootout, stopping two penalties.

But Inter prevailed 5-4, with Yuto Nagatomo tucking away the final spot kick.

Both sides hit the woodwork during the 120 minutes.

Inter coach Luciano Spalletti rang the changes, and only Milan Skriniar and Matias Vecino remained in the starting 11 from Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Juventus.

[ MORE: Burnley moves into top four after win over Stoke ]

However, he was forced by desperation to bring on Marcelo Brozovic at halftime as well as star forwards Ivan Perisic and Mauro Icardi.

Report: Cosmos coach Savarese to be named new Timbers manager

Twitter/@usatodaysports
Leave a comment

In a time where NASL’s status moving forward is hanging in the balance, one of the league’s top managers is set to make the jump to Major League Soccer.

[ MORE: LA FC close to acquiring Red Bulls captain Sacha Kljestan ]

According to ESPN soccer analyst Taylor Twellman, New York Cosmos head coach Giovanni Savarese is set to be named the next Portland Timbers manager.

Savarese will take over for the recently departed Caleb Porter, who stepped down from his head coaching role with the Timbers in November.

The former professional player spent five seasons in MLS during his career, including stints with the New York/New Jersey MetroStars (now the Red Bulls), as well as the New England Revolution and the San Jose Earthquakes.

The 46-year-old has managed the Cosmos from 2013 to present, and guided the NASL side to three Soccer Bowl titles in that span.

Report: LA FC close to acquiring Red Bulls captain Sacha Kljestan

Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

First Dax McCarty ahead of the 2017 season, and now Sacha Kljestan?

It seems as though the New York Red Bulls could be on the verge of trading away yet another club captain this offseason.

[ MORE: LA FC continues active offseason with addition of Laurent Ciman ]

According to Metro, Los Angeles FC is close to trading for Red Bulls midfielder Sacha Kljestan.

The U.S. Men’s National Team attacker has led Major League Soccer in assists over the last two seasons, and has served as an integral piece in the Red Bulls midfield since joining the club in 2015.

The Red Bulls made Kljestan club captain ahead of the 2017 season when former midfielder Dax McCarty was traded away to the Chicago Fire in exchange for allocation money.

Kljestan spent the first five seasons of his MLS career with now-defunct side Chivas USA, before playing in Europe Belgian club Anderlecht.