Toronto FC v Vancouver Whitecaps

Daigo Kobayashi has a new home, traded from Vancouver to New England

2 Comments

This time last year, fans around the Whitecaps were touting the potential impact of their technically gifted Japanese important, Daigo Kobayashi. Today, Kobayashi’s Vancouver adventure ended, with New England giving up a fourth round draft pick to acquire the 31-year-old.

Kobayashi was already training with the Revolution, so the final destination isn’t much of a surprise, but given the hopes attached to the midfielder after his winter 2013 arrival, the move’s worth some reflection. Though it’s always difficult to tell how players will adapt to Major League Soccer, some projected Kobayashi’s skill to translate into one of the league’s better creative presences. Throughout the 2013 season, however, Kobayashi never validated those hopes, scoring twice and registering four assists during 30 appearances (21 starts).

“Daigo is a good person and player but we just didn’t see a spot for him on the team moving forward,” Carl Robinson, the teams new head coach, said in a club statement sent out by the team. “We wish him the best of luck in New England.”

With former Toronto midfielder Matias Laba landing in Vancouver, spots in the Whitecaps midfield become precious. Nigel Reo-Coker seems destined to start in the pivot, with the young Argentine likely to partner him in front of the defense. Kenny Miller and Russell Teibert give Robinson two players capable of starting above that pair, with Gershon Koffie another player worthy of minutes (and this is before we even get to the pure depth guys).

So there was no room in Vancouver, but if you’re inclined to see Kobayashi as a starter-level talent, the fit in New England is a curious one. But given the importance Lee Nguyen and Kelyn Rowe have in Jay Heaps’ set up, the acquisition  makes sense in terms of depth. Both Nguyen and Rowe are skill first, middle-of-the-park creators. With Kobayashi’s acquisition, New England has insurance should either go down, not to mention somebody who came fill in wide in New England the 4-1-4-1 formation Heaps used last season.

“Daigo is a technically gifted player who fits into our system well,” Michael Burns, New England’s general manager, said as his team announced the deal. “He assimilated well with our club when he was in Tucson with us, and we are looking forward to his return to the club soon.”

With all the comings and going of talents being imported into Major League Soccer, it’s always interesting to see how quickly reputations are made and revised. With home fans having developing the earliest investment in new players, it makes sense that so many arrivals see hopes transcend realistic expectations.

On a talented Vancouver team, that’s what happened with Kobayashi – a player how hasn’t been a prolific attacking force since his time in Norway in 2009. With Martin Rennie no longer on the sidelines for the Whitecaps, Kobayashi was always destined to land someplace new.

Calum Chambers joins Middlesbrough on loan

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 30: Calum Chambers of Arsenal and Scott Arfield of Burnley compete for the ball  during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Arsenal and Burnley at Emirates Stadium on January 30, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images)
Paul Gilham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Middlesbrough has impressed at times during its return to the Premier League this season, and now the club looks to bolster its backline as the transfer window closes.

[ MORE: Aguero could miss Manchester derby after FA charge ]

The club announced the loan signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on Tuesday, providing the Boro with a promising young player to contribute in the back.

Chambers, 21, has made 58 appearances in the PL with both the Gunners and Southampton, while also earning three caps for England.

Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka revaled his excitement over the signing, while also stating that the player addresses a big need on the backline.

“I’m really pleased,” said Karanka. “It’s a position where we’ve been working towards bringing the right player in. We haven’t been in a hurry because Calum was the player we were waiting for, and he’s going to help us a lot.”

Arsenal adds defensive depth, signs Mustafi from Valencia

GETAFE, SPAIN - APRIL 24:  Shkodran Mustafi of Valencia applauds fans after Valencia drew 2-2 with Getafe CF during the La Liga match between Getafe CF and Valencia CF at Coliseum Alfonso Perez on April 24, 2016 in Getafe, Spain.  (Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images)
Denis Doyle/Getty Images[
Leave a comment

The Gunners have been heavily criticized for not spending enough during the transfer season, however, Arsene Wenger has gotten the man he wanted to help out defensively.

[ MORE: Rooney retiring from England after 2018 World Cup ]

Arsenal announced the signing of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday, after the German centerback had been previously been linked to the club for some time as their top transfer target.

Mustafi will likely figure immediately into the Arsenal defense, which has also added Rob Holding this summer. The 24-year-old made over 64 appearances for Valencia while in La Liga after beginning his academy career in England with Everton.

Hope Solo reveals she won’t play in NWSL for rest of 2016

CHICAGO, IL - JULY 09:  Hope Solo #1 of the United States kicks the ball up the field as she posts her100th career shut-out against South Africa in a friendly match at Soldier Field on July 9, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois. The United States defeated South Africa 1-0.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hope Solo hasn’t had the best couple of weeks since the U.S. Women’s National Team bailed out of the 2016 Olympics.

On Tuesday, the U.S. keeper announced her decision to take a step back from her club team as well after receiving a six-month ban from U.S. Soccer.

The veteran American shot stopper took to Twitter to make her decision known, leaving her status unknown with the Seattle Reign in the future. Solo remains under contract until the end of the current campaign, however, it is not known as to how her decision to sit out will affect her financially.

Solo wil be eligible to return to the USWNT in February, but it will be up to head coach Jill Ellis to reintroduce the 35-year-old into the fold.

Gyasi Zardes to miss the remainder of MLS regular season

CARSON, CA - FEBRUARY 09:  Gyasi Zardes #11 of Los Angeles Galaxy attemps to break away from Leiton Jimenez #30 of Club Tijuana at StubHub Center on February 9, 2016 in Carson, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
Leave a comment

U.S. Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes will miss the rest of the MLS regular season with a broken bone in his right foot.

It was initially believed on Monday that the U.S. attacker could be out until the end of 2016 after suffering the injury in Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Zardes was taken down by Whitecaps defender Kendall Waston during the latter stages of the match, with the Costa Rican apparently catching the inside of the 24-year-old’s foot, ultimately causing the injury.

Because of his extended absence, Zardes was ruled out of consideration for the USMNT squad ahead of their upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches vs. St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago.