Report: NYCFC wants to bring Carles Puyol to MLS in 2015

4 Comments

The big names have been flying as New York City FC and the Unnamed FC Miami Beckham United Haircuts continue to duke it out over who can be mentioned with the biggest player ahead of actually playing a soccer game.

And while Xavi and Cristiano Ronaldo have represented La Liga in the rumor mill over recent weeks, it’s now Barcelona legend and Spanish center back Carles Puyol who is being linked with a big money interest in New York, according to Spanish media’s Diario Gol.

The report says Puyol would be NYCFC’s first designated player when they take the field for their first matches in 2015, and he hasn’t featured much for Barcelona this year thanks largely to injury (though there have been questions of form as well).

Puyol signed a contract extension last month that would keep him in Barca colors through 2016, so this would become a transfer situation. It’s been a decade and a half in Barcelona for the wild-haired back, and as the status of the league moves away from simply a retirement home for has-beens, there is some question as to how effective he would be in the light blue for Jason Kreis.

Conte reveals how Kante can improve; hits out at rivals

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Now, after winning the PFA Player of the Year for the 2016-17 Premier League season you have to think N'Golo Kante is on top of the world right now.

[ MORE: Herrera on Manchester derby ]

Maybe this is why Antonio Conte has revealed that he thinks Kante can improve despite the tireless central midfielder driving Chelsea towards the Premier League title.

Speaking ahead of the Blues’ clash with Southampton at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday (2:45 p.m. ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com) Conte praised Kante’s incredible season but when talking about the 26-year-old Frenchman could go on to captain Chelsea one day, here’s what he had to say.

“He’s a silent leader! N’Golo is young. He can improve in that aspect. When you arrive at a great team like Chelsea and it’s your first season, it’s very difficult to try to speak and lead, but I think he is a silent leader, a leader on the pitch with good example,” Conte said. “He’s not the type of player who likes to speak. He’s not like John [Terry] for personality! With years he can improve in this aspect, and this award this season brings him a lot of confidence in himself.”

So, Conte wants Kante to come out of his shell a little more. That may be tougher than you think. Despite dominating the Premier League in each of the last two seasons with Leicester and now Chelsea, Kante is described as an introvert and a quiet player off the pitch who goes about his job each and every day with minimal fuss.

Still, when you think that Chelsea spent just over $40 million to snatch him away from Leicester last summer that’s an incredible piece of business.

Speaking of transfers and spending money on new players, Conte has also had plenty to say about that with his team sitting four point clear at the Premier League’s summit and both Manchester clubs scrambling for fourth place.

Conte was joined by Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho in taking over new clubs last summer and he’s overachieved while the latter two have underachieved despite spending huge sums of cash. What does Conte make of that?

“It’s important to understand it’s not always who spends more wins,” Conte said. “This season isn’t the only season both Manchester clubs have spent a lot of money. Look at the past. [We want] to build, also, slowly slowly to become a real power.”

If Conte does want to look at the past then he will see Chelsea has spent more money on new players than any other in the PL era, with about $1.6 billion on transfers while Man City are next on the list ($1.55 billion) and Man United are in third ($1.29 billion).

Hmmm.

Manchester derby “the game of the season”

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Whatever way you slice it up, Thursday’s Manchester derby is huge.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights

Manchester City host Manchester United (Watch, 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com) at the Etihad Stadium with Pep Guardiola‘s side just one point ahead of United in the Premier League table.

City currently occupy fourth spot and the final UEFA Champions League qualification berth but are coming off the back of a damaging FA Cup semifinal defeat to Arsenal after extra time.

United and Jose Mourinho haven’t lost in 23 Premier League games, the longest current unbeaten streak across Europe’s top five leagues, and are in the UEFA Europa League semifinals as their banged up squad have stood tall in the final months of the campaign.

Speaking ahead of the derby, one of United’s stars this season believes everything comes down to this one game.

“It is going to be the game of the season,” Ander Herrera said. “We are one point behind them. If we win we have the chance to finish in the top four, if they win it is going to be very difficult. It is the game of the season.

“Make or break? Probably. Both teams are in a good moment so if one of us wins the game we are not going to lose a lot of games, or make mistakes after that. Us or them. It is going to be key. I don’t know the ‘winner takes all’ expression but it is going to be a massive game. We are in a very good moment, a very good run and we respect them but we are doing a lot of good things and we have to show it on Thursday.”

Herrera’s comments say it all.

It is fair to say that both Manchester clubs have flattered to deceive for much of this season with Guardiola’s tactics yet to flourish in England and Mourinho’s rebuild hampered by injuries and a lack of goals at crucial moments.

On Thursday there will be a raucous atmosphere at the Etihad as both teams are aware of what is at stake.

More of the pressure may well be on City who now have just a place in the top four to focus on and with many previously giving United no chance of finishing in the top four, a win at City would take them above their “noisy neighbors” and into the UCL spots.

Former Czech Republic defender Rajtoral kills himself

Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

PRAGUE (AP) Former Czech Republic defender Frantisek Rajtoral, who won the domestic league title four times before joining Turkish club Gaziantepspor, died on Sunday. He was 31.

[ MORE: Bayern scouted Kyle Walker, Alex Sanchez this weekend ]

The Czech football federation said in a statement that Rajtoral had “committed suicide in Turkey.”

His agent Pavel Zika confirmed the player’s death, describing it as a “huge tragedy.”

Gaziantepspor announced Rajtoral’s death in a brief statement on its website.

Rajtoral played 14 international matches for the Czech Republic.

In the top Czech league, he won four titles with Viktoria Plzen and played in the group stage of the Champions League twice for the club. He moved to Hannover in the Bundesliga in 2014 for half of the season, on loan.

He left Viktoria Plzen last year to move to Turkey.

Bellerin wants to represent Spain U21s despite Wenger’s wishes

Ian Walton/Getty Images
2 Comments

Arsene Wenger has made it clear about Hector Bellerin representing Spain this summer but the Arsenal defender is prepared to go against his manager’s wishes if he is selected.

[ MORE: Bayern scouted Kyle Walker, Alexis Sanchez over the weekend ]

The 22-year-old has said he hopes to play for Spain’s Under-21 side this summer during the 2017 European U-21 Championship but Wenger has been weary of Bellerin’s injury status and wants his fullback to maintain a clean bill of health throughout the offseason.

“I really want to play,” Bellerin told IBTimes. “Representing Spain is very important. If [Albert] Celades gives me the chance I’ll be there.

“Those are opinions of the managers. I have to keep working. The truth is that I had a difficult injury but I think that I am at 100% now and I’ll try to prove it when I get the chance.”

Bellerin signed a six-and-a-half year deal with the Gunners in November, where he has resided since coming up in the club’s academy. He has made 102 appearances for Wenger’s team in that span over all competitions.