Yes, this is an alert, but consider it a guarded one, as nothing FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said today in Zurich, Switzerland, casts significant doubt on Sao Paulo Arena’s ability to host the 2014 World Cup opener . Providing an update on stadium readiness for this summer’s finals in Brazil, Valcke said two of the under construction venues are “quite late”, with the stadium slated to host the tournament’s first game on June 12 now another month behind schedule.
Though FIFA had previously hoped the venue would be ready by mid-April, Valcke confirmed new expectations have construction completed roughly one month before this summer’s competition kicks off. Given the site has already experienced a major setback when a fatal accident halted construction late last year, merely having the venue operational is the only goal.
“We are 104 days before the first game in Brazil, in Sao Paulo, in a stadium which is not ready,” was Valcke’s update to reporters at FIFA headquarters (as reported by the Associated Press), saying the venue would not be ready “before the 15th of May”:
“It’s true that whenever you receive something late then it’s a challenge to make this thing ready on time,” Valcke acknowledged, though adding “it will work at the end.”
“The goal is that on the 12th of June until the 13th of July everything will be working well,” he said.
Valcke made it clear he wasn’t criticizing Brazil’s progress, just outlining challenges. With a typical, finished venue needing 90 days of preparation to meet FIFA’s standards (read: signage and hospitality), both the Brazilian federation and Valcke’s subordinates will have to work overtime make June 12 meet their expectations.
MILAN (AP) Sassuolo’s victory over Pescara has been reversed to a 3-0 loss.
Sassuolo won Sunday’s Serie A match 2-1 but the league now says it fielded an ineligible player.
The league says the paperwork for the signing of Antonino Ragusa, who played the final 25 minutes, had not been filed by noon the day before the match – as its rules demand.
Sassuolo says it followed the rules and will appeal.
The club was one of four teams to win both its opening matches, along with Genoa, Juventus and Sampdoria.
Jack Wilshere won’t be with Arsenal following Wednesday’s transfer deadline, however, where the Gunners midfielder lands is yet to be seen.
[ MORE: Is David Luiz poised for a return to Stamford Bridge? ]
According to Daily Mail, as many as 22 clubs are in the mix to acquire Wilshere on loan, including various Premier League sides.
[ MORE: Aguero charged by FA, could be out for Manchester derby ]
While Daily Mail suggests that Crystal Palace is among the leaders to bring in the 24-year-old center midfielder this season, Bournemouth and Watford are also said to be in the mix to sign the playmaker.
Manager Arsene Wenger reportedly won’t allow the Englishman to go to any of the top four sides in England and also hopes that Wilshere lands outside of the UK .
Wilshere is also being chased by foreign clubs including Serie A sides Juventus and Roma.
The Gunners have been active as the deadline heads down its final hours, with Lucas Perez of Deportivo La Coruna and Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi both joining the club on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, young defender Calum Chambers has joined Middlesbrough on loan and Serge Gnarby is reportedly close to joining Werder Bremen after drawing significant interest from Bundesliga sides.
CHICAGO (AP) The U.S. women’s national team will host Switzerland for two matches this October in Minneapolis and Utah.
The matches for the defending World Cup champions are set for Oct. 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, and at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Oct. 23.
The U.S. team has played Switzerland just twice before, with the Americans winning both matches.
The United States is also facing Thailand on Sept. 15 in Columbus, Ohio, before playing the Netherlands in Atlanta on Sept. 18.
The team will be without goalkeeper Hope Solo, who was suspended from the team for six months following comments she made at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The United States was ousted by Sweden in the quarterfinals for the team’s earliest-ever exit at the Olympics.
Just incase you were unaware, there’s another Pogba. And he too could be playing in the Premier League very soon.
[ MORE: Could David Luiz be making a return to Stamford Bridge? ]
While it was Paul Pogba that stole the spotlight when he returned to Manchester United for a world-record transfer fee, Florentin — his 26-year-old brother — is drawing interest from England’s top flight.
According to the Sun, David Moyes and Sunderland are launching an $8.5 million bid for the St Etienne defender as a potential replacement for Lamine Kone. The Black Cats still anticipate that Kone will exit the Stadium of Light this season after handing in a transfer request earlier this month.
Pogba has played with the Ligue 1 club since 2012 after joining from lower-division club Sedan. Additionally, the centerback has made 13 appearances for Guinea at the international level.