kaka_clarence_seedorf

Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan

Leave a comment

Whereas it initially looked like the goals would come for an AC Milan side that’s dominated possession under Clarence Seedorf, the opposite has happened. Instead of seeing the talents of Mario Balotelli, Kaka, Adel Tarrabt, and (cup-tied) Keisuke Honda shine as the Rossoneri became Serie A’s biggest ball hogs, Milan has been shutout in three of their last four games. Sitting 11th in Italy, Milan’s progress since Max Allegri’s departure has been aesthetic but not practical.

Atlético Madrid, on the other hand, have undergone a minor awakening since their three-game, early February losing streak, even if they still don’t look like their indestructible January selves. Having moved away from the idea that Diego or Jorge Sosa can provide more than depth, Milan’s Tuesday opposition has reverted back to what worked this fall. Even the idea that Barcelona refugee David Villa can form a partnership with Diego Costa has been forgotten in favor of full faith Raúl Garcia, who was in the starting lineup when Atleti played Real Madrid to a 2-2 draw nine days ago. With only a late Cristiano Ronaldo goal keeping them from full points, the Colchoneros again looked like a team that could do damage in UEFA Champions League.

First, Diego Simeone’s side needs to finish off its Round of 16 matchup against Milan, who visit the Vicente Calderón on Tuesday. Down 1-0 after leg one, however, the Rossoneri are on the wrong end of two trends. Short on goals and facing a team that’s rediscovering a dark horse’s form, Milan needs to do more than cash in on some of the promise they’ve shown under Seedorf. They need to do so against a team that’s been among Europe’s best for most of the season.

“When you lose the first leg, it is marvellous to be able to play again in a tie of such importance on the European stage,” Seedorf said, striking an optimistic note on Monday. “We can write history once more. It is always great to play in a stadium like this. We do not have to be worried by the atmosphere. We are ready for this kind of game.”

The easiest way for Milan to transcend Atlético’s advantages is to get transcendent performances from its stars. That starts with Balotelli, who returned this weekend from a shoulder injury incurred in leg one. They’ll need Kaká, who didn’t play this weekend against Udinese, to continue using the time machine he brought out a couple of times at the San Siro. They need Nigel de Jong to be both healthy and destructive in defensive midfield, while Taarabt must make Honda’s absence irrelevant. If all of that happens, Milan has a chance.

“Great players appear in these matches,” Simeone said on Monday. “[Mario] Balotelli is a dominant player, but Milan are dangerous in many other areas. He is dangerous but needs his team-mates around him.”

But Milan also needs Costa, one of the Spain’s leading scorers this season, to go quiet. It needs Diego Godín to be exposed in defense while Thibault Courtois has an off day in goal. It needs Arda Turan to become uninterested or unwilling to create chances, and it need Gabi and Koke’s service to go awry. Milan needs Atlético to have one of the bad days it was having this time last month – the type of result that gave this matchup an aura of doubt when it kicked off three weeks ago.

Since then, Atlético has stabilized, giving Simeone’s side the appearance of a quarterfinalist. Unless Seedorf can finally put all of his pieces together, the Colchoneros will move on.

(MORE: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit)

Premier League Preview: Liverpool vs. Swansea City

SWANSEA, WALES - MAY 01:  Jefferson Montero of Swansea City is challenged by Nathaniel Clyne of Liverpool during the Barclays Premier League match between Swansea City and Liverpool at The Liberty Stadium on May 1, 2016 in Swansea, Wales.  (Photo by Steve Bardens/Getty Images)
Photo by Steve Bardens/Getty Images
Leave a comment
  • Liverpool leads all-time 22W-8D-10L
  • Swans lost five-straight at Anfield
  • Reds unbeaten in 7 PL matches

One of the Premier League’s top attacks hosts the division’s leakiest defense, as Liverpool may be licking its chops ahead of a visit from struggling Swansea City on Saturday (Watch live at 7:30 a.m. EDT on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com).

Liverpool has drawn at Sunderland and Manchester United in its last two Premier League outings, and sits seven points back of leaders Chelsea.

Swansea City has allowed multiple goals in five of six PL matches since beating Sunderland 3-0 on Dec. 10. It’s no surprise that they’ve lost those five (the sixth being a 2-1 win at struggling Crystal Palace).

What they’re saying

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on the match“We’re really looking forward to this game. I don’t know when it happened but in England every game now is like a final. Swansea are trying to survive. I don’t know when the title run-in will start, maybe now and we’re in the race. I hope for a special atmosphere tomorrow.”

Swansea City back Federico Fernandez on Liverpool“They are a team that is very strong going forward and that is shown by the number of goals they have scored. If you lose a little bit of focus against these teams then they have the players that will punish you every time. But it’s not only defending strongly when they are attacking, it is also how we keep hold of the ball and how we use it when in possession.”

Prediction

Swansea boss Paul Clement has his hands full, and is grabbing reinforcements in the transfer window (Luciano Narsingh, Martin Olsson, Tom Carroll). That won’t be enough to handle what Liverpool will dish out Saturday, as the Reds break free with a 3-0 win.

Saints’ Fonte moves to West Ham for $10 million

whufc.com
whufc.com
Leave a comment

West Ham has been linked with big name strikers since the summer, but the Irons’ big January transfer to date is a center back.

EURO champion and Southampton mainstay Jose Fonte is moving to London.

[ MORE: West Brom finally sells Berahino ]

Fonte, 33, makes an approximately $10 million move from the South Coast, where the Portuguese back will better Slaven Bilic‘s back line while forcing Southampton to find an answer alongside Virgil Van Dijk.

It’s been a strange trip to London for Fonte and Southampton, detailed by our own Joe Prince-Wright here. Fonte joined Saints during the 2009-10 season, and became a cult hero at St. Mary’s in helping the club move from League One to the Europa League in just over a half-decade.

Something won’t feel right about seeing Fonte in claret and blue, and Saints host West Ham on Feb. 4. Should be quite interesting.

Saga over: Saido Berahino finally has a new home (video)

stokecityfc.com
stokecityfc.com
Leave a comment

What in the world is the transfer rumor mill going to do without Saido Berahino?

Linked with a move away from West Brom for the better part of two years, the English striker has been freed from the bad graces of Tony Pulis and has joined Stoke City on a five-and-a-half year deal.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires Steven Gerrard ]

Berahino, 23, was sold for $15 million, a fee that could rise as high as $19 million. West Brom has previously rejected bids from Spurs amongst others that reached as high as $31 million.

It’s a smart, calculated risk for Mark Hughes and Stoke, who have not been able to get over the mid-table hump and encroach on European competition. Berahino scored 14 PL goals in 2014-15, a figure that rose to 20 when including all competitions.

Now could this mean Bojan Krkic is indeed off to Middlesbrough? We’ll wait to see if it’s a domino move for the Potters, and also if we one day yearn for the dulcet tones of Pulis screaming, “Saido!”, again and again, on the West Brom touch line.

Moyes says new Sunderland buys won’t be big difference makers

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - JANUARY 17: David Moyes, Manager of Sunderland (L) speaks to Jermain Defoe of Sunderland (R) before he comes on during the Emirates FA Cup third round replay between Burnley and Sunderland at Turf Moor on January 17, 2017 in Burnley, England.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sunderland boss David Moyes isn’t expressing the emotions of an optimistic man.

The former Everton, Manchester United, and Real Sociedad manager says his transfer budget is “limited with a big L” and that any names in the transfer market are not the players he’s allowed to pursue.

[ MORE: JPW’s Premier League picks ]

Sunderland has been linked with Phil Jagielka, Leonardo Ulloa, Robbie Brady, The Chronicle did report that free agent Joleon Lescott has been training with the team.

Even worse, Sunderland’s two most impactful players, Jermain Defoe and Patrick Van Aanholt, have been reported as targets for other PL sides and may prefer to leave the Northeast.

From The Chronicle:

“I’d be kidding you on if I said the players we are going to bring in in January are going to massively make a big difference because first of all, we probably couldn’t get that level of player and secondly, we probably wouldn’t have the finances to do that.

“To suggest that the player we bring in would be making a big difference, I think, wouldn’t be correct.”

Woof. That’s a tough pill for already beleaguered Sunderland supporters to swallow, and will only cause more unrest from a fan base that has been to know to leave a match early. Sunderland are far from dead in the water, but Swansea, Hull, and Palace are all making moves as it looks more and more like a four team race for 17th. Is Sunderland doomed?