Stuart Holden’s injury nightmare just took another turn for the worse, as the U.S. international midfielder is set for yet another lengthy spell on the sidelines.
The heart-wrenching news comes as somewhat of a shock, as the Bolton Wanderers midfielder was injured in a Premier League U-21 game last Monday and the extent of his injury hadn’t been disclosed by either Holden or his club since.
However on Tuesday Bolton sent out the following Tweet, which stated Holden “will be out of action for between six and nine months following an operation on the ligaments in his right knee.” The American midfielder had returned to the U.S. to get treatment on his knee following the incident, and silence over the past few days wasn’t deemed as good news for Stu.
Holden, 28, has had no luck with recent injuries as the man who made his name with the Houston Dynamo in Major League Soccer has been cursed with bad luck in recent seasons. Holden suffered his latest injury when playing in his first game since tearing his ACL in his right knee during the USA’s 1-0 CONCACAF Gold Cup final win over Panama back in July. The American midfielder had initially clutched his right knee, then hobbled off the pitch as Bolton played Everton in what was essentially a reserve team game.
His string of serious injuries date back to 2010 when Holden horrifically broke his leg while playing for the USA against the Netherlands but Holden still managed to make one appearance at the 2010 World Cup vs. England. However he then injured his left knee against Manchester United in a tackle with Jonny Evans in March 2011 which kept him out for over a year. Holden has had nothing but bad luck with his fitness since.
Below you can see the Tweet which confirmed Holden’s season is over, and will likely take up a huge chunk of his 2014-15 campaign.
Despite all of that, the energetic midfielder had stayed in and around the USMNT picture and trained with the squad as a guest player during the January camp in California earlier this year.
But any hope Holden had of getting himself fit and ready to try and compete for a last-ditch spot in Klinsmann’s U.S. national team camp for the World Cup this summer is officially over, as the hugely likable character will now spend more time nursing himself back to full-fitness following his latest devastating injury.
From all the folks at PST, get well soon, Stu.
Jose Mourinho has made no secret of his Antonio Valencia appreciation, and the Manchester United manager has rewarded his fullback with a new deal.
Valencia is nine appearances away from 300 in a Manchester United kit, with 22 goals and 61 assists as a Red Devil.
[ MORE: Monaco star’s Man City medical ]
Valencia said United has “been my life” since arriving from Wigan Athletic in 2009, while Mourinho heaped praise on the Ecuadorian captain’s character with glowing praise.
“It is no secret that I had been an admirer of Antonio’s long before I joined the club. I knew what a fantastic player he was and he has not disappointed me on that front. However, what I could never have imagined was what a great person he is. I know I have said this before but I truly believe it is a real privilege for us to have such a good player and such a good man. I am delighted he has extended his contract.”
Only Ander Herrera and Eric Bailly recorded better tackle rates at Old Trafford last season, and Valencia was credited with a team-best 1.5 crosses per game.
Forget a return Stateside, as Geoff Cameron is sticking around the Potteries.
The versatile American midfielder and defender, 31, has extended his stay at Stoke City by two years, the Premier League club announced Friday.
Cameron has played 165 times for Stoke since arriving from the Houston Dynamo in 2012. He’s been capped 50 times by the USMNT.
Turning 32 next in mid-July, Cameron missed three-and-a-half months with a knee injury this season. That span saw Stoke go 6-5-5.
Advanced stats site WhoScored rated Cameron as Stoke’s best player — by far — this season. He was a bright spot along with loan man Bruno Martins Indi, and his extension is good news for both U.S. and Stoke fans.
Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland is preparing for more banter:
Pep Guardiola is looking to Monaco in his chase for (lowers sunglasses) Silvaware.
Thanks, we’ll be here all day.
Bernardo Silva is in Manchester on Friday, with the Manchester Evening News saying the playmaker is close to joining unrelated surname sharer David Silva in the Sky Blues’ attack.
[ MORE: Three key battles in FA Cup Final ]
“The 22-year-old arrived at Manchester Airport on Thursday night on a flight from Mallorca and is believed to have had a medical at the club’s academy on Friday morning,” writes James Robson.
At 22, Bernardo Silva has already made 124 appearances for Monaco, registering 25 goals. He scored eight goals in Monaco’s Ligue 1 title run, adding three in the Champions League.
He’s also been capped 12 times by Portugal.
Where does Silva fit? He featured heavily at right wing for Monaco this season — 43 of 56 apps — also spending time in an attacking central midfield role. In City’s final match of the PL season, Gabriel Jesus lined up wide right next to David Silva
The game in 100 words (or less): After starting the 2017 season nine games without a loss, FC Dallas, the longest-lasting unbeaten team in MLS, has lost two straight. Saturday saw their unbeaten start come to an end, against the San Jose Earthquakes, just as Wednesday’s trip to Toyota Stadium saw Oscar Pareja’s side drop all three points to the Chicago Fire. All three of the game’s goals were scored during the opening nine minutes, as FCD fought back from 1-0, but couldn’t find a second equalizer on the night. Nemanja Nikolic bagged the opener, his 11th goal in 13 games to extend his lead in the Golden Boot race to two, in the 3rd minute. Roland Lamah brought FCD back to level terms three minutes later, but David Accam restored the home side’s advantage after three more minutes. Nikolic had every opportunity in the world to take his goals tally to a dozen during second-half stoppage time, but Chris Seitz denied the Hungarian international from the penalty spot. For the first time since Sept. 2012, Chicago have won four straight league games, and sit just two points back of Eastern Conference-leading Toronto FC (26 points).
[ WATCH: Chicharito-to-MLS in doubt due to $10M contract demands ]
Three moments that mattered
3′ — Nikolic redirects past Seitz for 1-0 — Nikolic ran 15 yards straight ahead without a single FCD player picking him up or impeding his path to the near post, and they paid for it.
6′ — Lamah taps it in to make it 1-1 right away — Lamah has been quite the disappointment since arriving in Dallas this winter, but he happened to eb in the right place at the right time in this one, as a failed clearance fell to the five-times-capped Belgian international for an easy tap-in, and his first MLS goal.
9′ — Accam cuts inside to make it 2-1 just as quickly — At some point, Accam will be properly rated by the wider MLS audience, as he’s been Chicago’s best player for two full seasons, and has only hit a new high with capable attackers all around him.
[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s MLS coverage | Standings | Stats | Schedule ]
Man of the match: Dax McCarty
Goalscorers: Nikolic (3′), Lamah (6′), Accam (9′)