What next for Moyes and United? More new faces in January according to Arlo.

UEFA Champions League Preview: With blindfold and cigarette, David Moyes faces the firing line

2 Comments

Wednesday’s may be David Moyes’ last match with Manchester United. Or maybe it will be the next one. As long as the Red Devils play as poorly as they did this weekend, Alex Ferguson’s replacement is a zombie: walking the sidelines with no vital signs; with nobody able to explain how he’s able to carry on.

The explanation used to be that theoretical patience Manchester United prides itself on, but even that’s starting to wear thin. Every major outlet across England has some report about his job security, with some referencing disappointment in the Red Devil boardroom (examples A, B). If Ed Woodward and the Glazers are already reconsidering Moyes’ future, the rest of this season may be his Green Mile.

The next step on that path is at Old Trafford, with a game few would have thought an obstacle before UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16 started. Since then, however, Manchester United has shown itself capable of falling to Greek champions Olympiakos, having done so three weeks ago in Piraeus. At the time, the result was seen as one of the worst of Moyes’ tenure, one that leaves them two goals down (2-0) before tonight’s kickoff. Then this weekend happened.

“When you lose in the fashion we did and against one of our biggest rivals [Liverpool] there is always a lot of disappointment,” Moyes explained in Tuesday’s press conference. “We knew it was a big week, but as soon as [the Liverpool match] was over we concentrated on this game. We told the players on Monday morning that the only thing that matters now is this game and our focus is on that.”

If the team can regain its focus — if the players can put Sunday’s embarrassment behind them — they should have no problem with Olympiakos. Despite the Greek champions’ huge lead in the Super League (18 points, title already clinched), United have an overwhelming edge in talent. There’s no player who’ll be selected in Michel González’s starting XI who would start for the Red Devils, making it all the more remarkable they were able to produce a 2-0 win three weeks ago.

“The work of a football team shows on the pitch,” Michel said. “There are no secrets, no surprises when it comes to this game. All I know is that we played well in the first leg and deserved to win, but this will be a different game and we will need a good performance and a good result to show our worth.”

Manchester United not only need to win on Wednesday, they need to do so by at least three goals if they’re to avoid penalty kicks. A two-goal win without keeping a clean sheet means they’re out – the byproduct of being the only group stage winner not to score an away goal. They need to not only be better than the teams that showed up in Piraeus and against Liverpool, they need to be much better if they’re to preserve their only chance at silverware this season.

“The players know they can play better,” Moyes said. “I don’t think any of them are questioning that. But I’ve got belief in the players because I see what they can do and hopefully we can show it.”

Amid all the gloom and doom that rightfully hovers over the Red Devils, it needs to be reiterated: They can win this game. Robin van Persie is capable of winning it on his own. So is Wayne Rooney. Even with their suspect midfield, the Red Devils are capable of controlling this match, providing they have a better, more cohesive plan than they implemented in Greece. Winning on Wednesday should not be that hard.

But if United doesn’t “show it,” as its manager put it? Moyes may as well stay on the field after the game, adorn himself with a blindfold and cigarette, and wait. In a season of lows and lowers, going out of Champions League on home soil to Olympiakos would represent a new trough, one that builds on Sunday’s disaster.

Perhaps Red Devils management will refrain from taking aim, but out of Champions League, there’ll be no reason to keep Moyes in his job. At a minimum, it will test their faith that the current manager truly is the right man for the job.

Report: Roma lead chase for Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere

Arsenal v Hull City - Premier League
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Early on Transfer Deadline Day it seemed like Premier League duo Crystal Palace and Bournemouth were the two options for Jack Wilshere.

Not so fast.

[ STREAM: Deadline Day show ]

According to multiple reports Arsenal’s 24-year-old central midfielder is reportedly being chased hard by AS Roma with regards to a season-long loan deal.

Wilshere has expressed his desire to leave Arsenal for regular action this season and over 22 clubs have reportedly expressed interest in taking him on loan.

[ LIVE: Every Deadline Day deal ] 

That list had been whittle down to three main contenders and it is believed the England international met with Palace boss Alan Pardew and Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe on Tuesday as he decided where he should go.

Now, though, it appears a Serie A giant is pushing hard to get Wilshere.

His good friend Wojciech Szczesny is already on loan from Arsenal to Roma and with the Italian side able to offer UEFA Europa League action, plus challenge for the top four in Italy’s top-flight, Wilshere may see it as more worthwhile than going on loan to Palace or Bournemouth who will both be challenging to finish in the upper reaches of midtable in the PL.

The transfer window in Italy shuts at 5 p.m. ET, an hour earlier than in England, so Wilshere will have to get a move on if he fancies spending the next year in the Italian capital.

Report: David Luiz to Chelsea edging closer; Fabregas staying

Luiz scored on his return to the Bridge and celebrated like a mad man.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A deal between Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea for “the geezer” David Luiz appears to be back on.

[ LIVE: Every Deadline Day deal ] 

On Tuesday reports emerged that Antonio Conte‘s side had offered $39 million for 29-year-old Luiz. Bearing in mind he signed for PSG in 2014 from Chelsea for $65 million, that would be decent business for Chelsea.

PSG were said to want close to $50 million for Luiz and the deal seemed dead.

However, the Daily Mail is now reporting that the deal for Luiz is edging ever closer with the player said to be keen on a return to Stamford Bridge and the clubs are working towards and agreement.

A flashy central defender, Luiz has many question marks against his name when it comes to his defensive capabilities but he is a fans favorite at Chelsea after winning the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and Europa League with the Blues. He can also take a wicked free kick and his impressive range of passing sees him take risks out of the back.

Chelsea do need cover in central defense with Gary Cahill and John Terry their only options, plus Branislav Ivanovic able to slot over from right back to center back. Conte does have Kurt Zouma at the club but the French international defender is likely to go out on loan to Bundesliga side Schalke to step up his recovery following a horrendous injury last February against Manchester United.

Is Luiz heading back to west London?


In other Chelsea-related news Sky Sports is reporting that Spanish international playmaker Cesc Fabregas is staying at the Bridge.

Fabregas, 29, has been linked with a move away from Chelsea this summer after starting the first three Premier League games of the season on the bench. Conte has preferred N'Golo Kante and Nemanja Matic in central midfielder and it was reported that Fabregas had fallen out with Chelsea’s new Italian manager.

The former Arsenal and Barcelona rejected speculation that he and Conte had a bust up but on Deadline Day rumors have arrived that AC Milan want to sign Fabregas.

However it appears Fabregas will be staying at Chelsea at least until January to fight for his place in the team.

Stoke City sign Wilfried Bony on loan from Manchester City

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 01: Wilfried Bony of Manchester City celebrates scoring the opening goal during the Capital One Cup Quarter Final match between Manchester City and Hull City at Etihad Stadium on December 1, 2015 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Chris Brunskill/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Wilfried Bony is a Potter.

The Ivorian striker, 27, has joined Stoke City on a season-long loan from Manchester City after he didn’t feature in Pep Guardiola‘s plans at the Etihad Stadium.

[ LIVE: Every Deadline Day deal ]

Bony moved to Man City in January 2015 for $37 million after a breakout 18 months with Swansea City which saw him score 35 goals in 70 appearances for the Swans.

Stoke have been searching for a central striker to finish chances for the past two seasons with Marko Arnautovic, Bojan Krkic and Xherdan Shaqiri creating plenty of chances for Mark Hughes‘ side.

Bony joins Peter Crouch, Mame Diouf and Jonathan Walters as the central strikers in Stoke’s squad and his arrival seems to all but end the Potters’ long-term interest in West Brom’s Saido Berahino.

Getting Bony through the door when the likes of West Ham United and Everton were also interested is great news for Stoke as they have also added Derby County goalkeeper Lee Grant on loan and are expected to add Dutch international defender Bruno Martins Indi on loan later on Deadline Day.

Joe Hart completes move to Torino in Serie A

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - APRIL 26:  Goalkeeper Joe Hart of Manchester City applauds the home fans following the 0-0 draw during the UEFA Champions League Semi Final first leg match between Manchester City FC and Real Madrid at the Etihad Stadium on April 26, 2016 in Manchester, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Torino have announced the signing of Joe Hart on a season-long loan from Manchester City,

Hart, 29, was seen in and around Turin on Tuesday as he arrived in Italy to seal his move to the Serie A side.

[ LIVE: Every Deadline Day deal ] 

The English national team goalkeeper has fallen behind both Claudio Bravo and Willy Caballero in the pecking order at the Etihad Stadium following Pep Guardiola‘s appointment as Man City’s new manager this summer.

Guardiola believes Hart is not good enough with the ball at his feet to play in his system, so Hart has gone elsewhere.

Speaking about his move to Torino, Hart revealed his emotions on arriving in Italy’s top-flight.

“Suddenly my career has undergone a change. I interpreted it as a sign of destiny and so I had to do something,” Hart said. “The decision to come to Turin has come at the right time and in the right manner. I am very happy to be able to compete in a beautiful and difficult league like Serie A.”

So, what do we make of this move for Hart?

After spending a decade at Man City, it was clear he would only be used sparingly this season so he simply had to leave. Sunderland seemed to be his only option in the Premier League and you can’t blame him for not wanting to be embroiled in a relegation battle at the Stadium of Light.

Torino finished 12th in Serie A last season and have ambitions to finish in the top 10 this season but they aren’t playing in the UEFA Champions League or Europa League and it is strange Hart didn’t have other options. However, it is a chance for Hart to learn a new culture and play regularly to keep himself in the England setup until he sorts out his long-term future away from City. As long as Guardiola is around Hart isn’t going to play for the team he has won two Premier League titles, an FA Cup and two League Cups with.

Hart is a hero at Man City and always will be but with this move he has taken himself out of the firing line in England and now has a chance to play regularly and rebuild his career in Italy after becoming the first-ever English goalkeeper in Serie A.