Borussia Dortmund players upset with whistles from home fans during Wednesday’s Champions League match

Leave a comment

One day after securing their club’s second straight appearance in UEFA Champions League’s quarterfinals, Borussia Dortmund players are hitting back at their own fans, with whistles heard during the team’s 2-1 loss leaving a lasting impression on the team.

Despite losing to visiting Zenit St. Petersburg, BVB advanced in Champions League, posting a 5-4 aggregate win over the Russian club. The sellout crowd at the Westfalenstadion had shorter-term goals in mind, however, expressing their disapproval as last year’s finalists saw out the final portion of their Round of 16 meeting with Zenit.

The players noticed. One day after seeing the Russians out of the competition, Dortmund players turned there attention to their fans behavior, expressing their disappointment.

“Some in the team are really affected by this,” captain Sebastian Kehl said, as reported by Reuters. “A home game should be a positive experience and not feel as if we have committed some sort of crime.”

Dortmund have one of the more fearsome crowds in European soccer, with the 65,829 in attendance for Champions League matches coupling one of Europe’s largest crowds with a passion that’s made the Westfalenstadion one of the world’s more renown fan experiences.

On Wednesday, however, that passion turned on the team in yellow and black.

“I really do not like this,” midfielder Kevin Großkreutz said. “Every time we lost possession you could hear moans in the crowd.

“We do not need moans, we need support. Afterwards you can whistle but during the game we need the support.”

Veteran midfielder Nuri Sahin asked for perspective. Though Dortmund eased past Zenit on the back of the 4-2 win it posted in St. Petersburg, the team is still trying to compensate for the absences of Jakub Blaszczykowski, Ilkay Güdongen, Neven Subotic, and Sven Bender.

“Look at what kind of injury setbacks we have had to deal with and play football this season,” Sahin urged. “We are in the last eight and that is something that should be looked at carefully and honoured.”

Head coach Jürgen Klopp echoed the sentiments, saying “We as Borussia Dortmund have to learn that a great success sometimes is hidden in a 2-1 defeat.”

Great, perhaps unreasonable success is clearly what the crowd expected. Four years ago, this team wasn’t even in Europe. Now, they’re in Champions League’s final eight and 10 months removed from an appearance in the competition’s final. Interesting quickly expectations chance in the Ruhr valley.

In the league throughout and sitting on four away goals, perhaps BVB didn’t play their best game Wednesday against Zenit. Given the circumstances, however, supporters should have had more flexible expectations. After all, the team is still into the quarterfinals.

Ancelotti rules himself out of Liverpool job

Carlo Ancelotti, Real Madrid CF
Leave a comment

Carlo Ancelotti will not be the next manager of Liverpool, if you’re not so cynical that you don’t believe Mr. Ancelotti himself, that is.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

Ancelotti, who this summer was fired one season after winning the UEFA Champions League at Real Madrid, has been widely reported a top-two candidate for the Premier League club’s vacant managerial position ever since Brendan Rodgers was fired on Sunday.

While he may very well have been one of Liverpool’s top choices, to hear Ancelotti tell it, he’s not interested in taking the job, nor any other job anywhere in the world this year.

[ MORE: “Super computer” predicts final Premier League standings ]

Ancelotti, speaking at the National History Museum in London on Tuesday — quotes from the Guardian:

“I enjoy my time now but, of course, I want to come back to manage – to work – because it is my passion. I want to take my time to rest, but next season I am ready.”

“Why not [return to Paris Saint-Germain]? I have very good memories of Paris, PSG, I have good relations with everyone, with Nasser [al-Khelaifi, the PSG president].

“But I’m thinking about other things and PSG has a very good coach in Laurent Blanc. I hope he will continue and shine in the Champions League.”

Of course, with Jurgen Klopp reportedly all but officially announced as Liverpool’s new manager, Ancelotti is probably doing two things by ruling himself out until next season: 1) saving a bit of face, given that he was pretty clearly not Liverpool’s first-choice candidate; 2) letting every Ancelotti-sized club know that he’ll be available come this spring and summer, just in case they’re considering firing their current manager and need a bit of assurance an elite candidate will be available.

[ MORE: Klopp expected to be named new Liverpool manager this week ]

For instance, the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City, PSG and Juventus immediately come to mind. A manager of Ancelotti’s quality will always have options and offers, and that’s something he clearly understands. Ancelotti has earned the right to enjoy a year-long sabbatical and to be picky when choosing his next job.

Report: FIFA provisionally suspends Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter, FIFA president

Sepp Blatter could, finally, be frozen out by FIFA.

The 17-year leader of world soccer’s governing body has reportedly been suspended for 90 days after FIFA’s ethics committee met on Wednesday to discuss allegations against both Blatter and his close ally Michel Platini.

[ MORE: Chung to sue Blatter ]

Reports suggest that the decision to suspend the Swiss official still needs to be formally ratified by the adjudicatory chamber of the ethics committee, but it is highly likely that Blatter will be suspended until January 2016.

Blatter, 79, has been at FIFA for over 40 years but under his stewardship the organization has been riddled with allegations of corruption as current investigations from both the U.S. and Swiss authorities continue. The longtime FIFA official is suspected of “criminal mismanagement or misappropriation” by the Swiss authorities after a payment of over $1.9 million is linked to Blatter and the current president of UEFA, and FIFA presidential candidate, Platini.

[ MORE: How will USA line up vs. Mexico? ]

Klaus Stoehlker, who formerly advised Blatter, has told Sky News that the ethics committee “made the ruling pending further investigations by the Swiss attorney general” and the verdict was “pending”  but that “no negative finding had been made against the head of world football’s governing body.” It is believed that the 90-day suspension is the maximum amount of time the ethics committee can suspend any individuals while an investigation is ongoing.

It has been reported that the head of FIFA’s ethics committee, Judge Hans Joachim-Eckert, has told Blatter of his suspension.

The leader of FIFA, who will stand down following the next presidential elections on Feb. 26, 2016, has been defiant in recent weeks despite growing pressure from corporate sponsors of FIFA for him to resign.

On Wednesday he spoke out and denied he will quit, while at the Leaders’ in Sport Summit in London another presidential candidate ,Chung Mong-joon, declared that he will sue Blatter for “at least $100 million” and believes the FIFA president and his “cronies” are deliberately sabotaging his own presidential campaign.