Britain Soccer Premier League

“Puzzled” Arsene Wenger cancels Monday’s press conference

Leave a comment

Standard protocol in the Premier League is that the manager of a club holds a press conference the day before a match. That won’t be happening at Arsenal on Monday, according to Sky Sports, after Arsene Wenger cancelled his press conference ahead of Tuesday’s clash with Swansea City.

The decision comes after Arsenal’s troubling 6-0 loss to 1st placed Chelsea on Saturday, a match that left Wenger admitting in interviews that he was puzzled before refusing to turn up for his post-match press conference.

“We felt we prepared properly, but we did not turn up, so it is puzzling,” Wenger told Sky Sports after Saturday’s match.

“After 20 minutes, it was game over and it became a long, dramatic and dreadful afternoon. That is the most disappointing, when you prepare with the intensity that we do, you then turn up for your game of the season and are never even in it.”

Wenger went on to explain that Arsenal needed to “think deeply” about the Chelsea loss and “respond in a proper way on Tuesday.” Logic says this is why Wenger has canceled his press conference. No need for further speculation. But the British press, always happy to run rampant with a loose storyline, is making Wenger’s no-show into a very big deal, with some outlets going so far as to speculate that the Frenchman could be retiring.

That’s a leap that we’re steering clear of. With Saturday’s result Arsenal are now 4th in the table and seven points behind leaders Chelsea, although the Gunners do enjoy a game in hand on the Blues. If Arsenal is to finish the Premier League season strong – and potentially add to their trophy cabinet for the first time in nearly 9 years by winning the FA Cup – they must regain their focus. A day off Sunday and full day at the club on Monday seems like the right prescription to make that happen.

Can Leicester keep their stars? Will other teams replicate their success?

Leave a comment

Now that Leicester City have been crowned 2015-16 Premier League champions, this is only the start.

[ MORE: Mahrez to leave? ]

Plenty of questions are already swirling around about their future, who will stay this summer and how any other team can possibly repeat what they’ve achieved this season.

[ MORE: Leicester news after PL win ]  

In the latest edition of PST Extra yours truly, Joe Prince-Wright, dissects all of that and more as we look back at an incredible run to the title for the 5000-1 shots before the season began.

[ MORE: Mourinho forced to wait? ]  

Hit play on the video above for your latest PST Extra fix, while you can see the full archive of videos by clicking on the link below.

[ ARCHIVE: Every PST Extra video ]

Leicester official reveals Vardy’s past parties: “He came to training drunk”

Leave a comment

Ah, so this brings a whole new meaning to the term “Vardy Party” doesn’t it?

[ MORE: Mahrez to leave? ]

Leicester City’s vice-chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha has a story to tell when it comes to England international striker Jamie Vardy and his dramatic rise to stardom.

[ MORE: Leicester news after PL win ]  

Vardy, 29, burst onto the scene this season as Leicester’s leading goalscorer (22) and set a new Premier League record as he scored in 11-consecutive games. His goal, along with the trickery of Riyad Mahrez, won the Foxes the title.

It is true Vardy has a checkered past as the Sheffield native who was playing in non-league soccer four years ago has come a very long way in a very short space of time.

[ MORE: Mourinho forced to wait? ]  

Speaking to a day magazine in his native Thailand in an interview released on Tuesday, Srivaddhanaprabha revealed the extend of Vardy’s problems as he struggled to settle in at Leicester in 2012 when he first arrived.

“He went straight from the bottom to the Championship, which eventually led him to start drinking booze every single day. We had no idea what to do. I didn’t even know about this until someone told me that he came to train while he was still drunk,” Srivaddhanaprabha said.

“So I went to talk to him myself, I asked ‘do you wish to end your career like this? Do you want to stay here like this? We’ll let your contract run out then release you. Don’t expect a better career path.’ He said he didn’t know what to do with his life. He’d never earned such a large amount of money. So I asked him ‘what’s your dream? How do you think your life should be? Just think carefully about what would you do for the club. I invested in you, do you have something in return?’”

“After that he simply quit drinking and started working hard in training. His physicality wasn’t as good as it is now. We know he had explosive acceleration, but we simply had no idea he could be this good. He’s adapting, working on fitness training, he’s turned into a new person. And that’s better.”

Well, I’m sure Claudio Ranieri didn’t mind Vardy hosting a party for the players as they celebrated the title win on Monday following Tottenham’s 2-2 draw at Chelsea.

The England international has had a fairy tale season but tales such as this show how different it could’ve been for him.

Transfer news: Renato to Man United; $50 million Batshuayi to West Ham

SEIXAL, PORTUGAL - MARCH 17:  Benfica«s midfielder Renato Sanches during the UEFA Youth League Quarter Final between SL Benfica and Shakhtar Donetsk at Caixa Futebol Campus on March 17, 2015 in Seixal, Portugal.  (Photo by Carlos Rodrigues/Getty Images for UEFA)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Benfica teenager Renato Sanches could cost Manchester United $60 million this summer and the Portuguese youngster is already preparing for his move.

[ MORE: Mourinho to wait? ]

According to Record in Portugal, Sanches is “prepared and excited” about a move to United and knows a deal is being discussed about a move this summer. It is believed the deal could cost in excess of $80 million when all is said and done.

The 18-year-old box-to-box midfielder is one of the hottest properties on the planet and despite Louis Van Gaal‘s struggling to get into the UEFA Champions League for next season, it still won’t stop them splashing some serious cash on Sanches. Plus, it worked out pretty well for United the last time they signed a teenager from Portugal… (ahem, Cristiano Ronaldo).


Another big money move, and a surprising one at that, could see West Ham United move for Belgian striker Michy Batshuayi.

The Guardian believes that the Hammers have put in a bid in excess of $50 million for the Marseille striker who has scored 16 Ligue 1 goals this season. He is 22-years-old and it is believed Slaven Bilic wanted to sign him in January but was told he wouldn’t be available until the summer.

[ MORE: Leicester news after PL win ]  

With the 2016 European Championships coming up, Batshuayi should be included in Marc Wilmots’ 23-man Belgian squad but will face competition to get into the team from the likes of Romelu Lukaku, Divock Origi and Christian Benteke. Like the aforementioned trio, Batshuayi is a powerful striker who can hold the ball up but is also able to get in-behind opposition defenses.

West Ham have enjoyed great success in plucking Dimitri Payet from Marseille for $15 million last summer but they will likely face competition from Juventus, Roma, Borussia Dortmund and others for the Belgian’s signature.


The Daily Mail claims that new Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has earmarked Gonzalo Higuain as his main transfer target this summer.

Higuain, 28, has been in fine form for Napoli this season, scoring 34 goals in 40 appearances in all competitions. Per the report, the Argentine striker is said to be concerned of playing second fiddle to Diego Costa at Stamford Bridge. However, if Costa is moved on with lucrative offers from China reportedly lined up, then Higuain could provide the goals to kick off Conte’s reign in west London.

The former Real Madrid striker has scored 223 goals in 451 career games and has 25 goals in 52 games for Argentina. It is clear Conte wants to stamp his authority on this team and with Costa scoring just 11 times this season, getting in a goal-machine will be the biggest target for the new Chelsea boss. Higuain will cost Chelsea over $60 million.

Riyad Mahrez has “50/50” chance of staying at Leicester

3 Comments

Riyad Mahrez‘s chances of staying at Leicester City have been rated at 50/50.

The Algerian winger has been crowned the PFA Player of the Year for the 2015-16 season as his 17 goals and 11 assists inspired Leicester to win the Premier League title.

[ MORE: Leicester news after PL win ] 

However, the man who the Foxes signed from Le Havre in January 2014 for just $800,000 is now being linked with a $45 million move to the likes of Barcelona, Tottenham, Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain among several other elite European teams.

Despite previously stating that he was happy at Leicester, his agent (Kamel Bengougam) is singing from a different hymn sheet as he spoke to the Guardian.

“Yes of course there is a possibility. When you have been playing the way Riyad has this season it is bound to attract attention. He is very happy with Leicester and of course it has been a fantastic season. They will play in the Champions League next year as well so he would be happy to stay.

“But at his age if the opportunity comes to play for a big team then we would have to think about it. I’d say it’s 50/50 at the moment whether he stays or goes.”

His agent also added that they have interest “from the UK and overseas” and would “see what develops over the next few weeks” as the season comes to a close.

Mahrez is 25 years old and is about to enter the prime of his career following years of battling his way through the French lower leagues and has burst onto the scene this season as an integral part of Leicester’s success.

[ MORE: Mourinho forced to wait?

The Algerian international winger is bound to have suitors and his ability to bamboozle defenses and score stunning goals with his supreme composure has reportedly seen Barcelona scout him constantly over the past few months.

Leicester doesn’t need to sell players and are financially set. However, Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri has already said that if players want to go, they can leave but has warned them they could be bit-parts at bigger clubs.

They could well be the case with Mahrez but in reality, is he ever going to have a season like this again? Should he and his agent cash in while they can?