Can England start to churn out talents such as Joe Hart from SGP on a regular basis?

Report: Real Madrid line up $37.5 million move for Manchester City’s Joe Hart

1 Comment

With Iker Cassilas and Diego Lopez already on board, it seems as though Real Madrid are not content at having two world-class ‘keepers in their stable.

Oh no, they want three.

According to reports from the UK and Spain on Tuesday, Manchester City and England goalkeeper Joe Hart is at the top of Carlo Ancelloti’s shopping list, with the 26-year-old earmarked as the long-term replacement for both Lopez and Casillas.

Lopez is the current number one after ousting Spanish international captain and Real legend Casillas from the starting spot in the last two seasons. However both players are 32-years-old and it is believed Madrid are looking to the future and want to tempt Hart to make the switch to Spain.

But would this shock move really come off?

Let’s look back to earlier this season, when a serious of blunders saw Hart dropped from Man City’s starting lineup as Costel Pantilimon took his place. Since he was dropped, following a horrendous last-minute mistake to hand Chelsea all three points in a massive game back in October, Hart has come eack in fine-form to prove his doubters wrong.

Hart will be between the sticks for the Three Lions this summer in Brazil, and with a Premier League title already under his belt and four full-seasons in the PL, he’s certainly racked up plenty of experience at such a young age for a ‘keeper. Most goalkeepers don’t get the chance to break into a first-team until they are approaching their late 20’s, but Hart already has 354 appearances to his name. Remarkable.

With Casillas expected to move on this summer if he continues to be understudy to Lopez at the Santiago Bernabeu, suddenly a spot will open up at Real Madrid. Of course Manchester City do not need the money, but they may feel it could be the perfect time to sell Hart and cash in while his form is good, in order to get the maximum fee for the product they’ve nurtured since 2006.

A move to Madrid may suit Hart, and England, as the goalkeeper may feel a switch from the pressure cooker of the PL will help him develop as a ‘keeper. That said, the main reason for joining Real would be success in Europe, as City have yet to make it past the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League, while every season Real are genuine contenders for the biggest trophy in club soccer.

Hart to Real Madrid? Fact or fiction? Whatever you make of the rumor, Real will have to freshen up their goalkeeping situation soon. Looking to the future, they seem to have their heart set on Hart.

Southampton: Van Dijk won’t leave, selling days likely done

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - MARCH 29:  Ralph Krueger the Southampton Chairman looks on during the Barclays Premier League match between Southampton and Newcastle United at St Mary's Stadium on March 29, 2014 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ralph Krueger doesn’t plan on selling any more big Southampton stars, and there’s none brighter than Virgil Van Dijk.

The Dutchman is perhaps the best center back in the Premier League, regularly linked with transfers to anywhere from Manchester City to Liverpool.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

But Krueger says Saints have had enough of selling big assets. Southampton has sold Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Sadio Mane, and Nathaniel Clyne in the past three seasons, and those are just the names to go to Liverpool. Morgan Schneiderlin and Victor Wanyama have also moved on from St. Mary’s.

From Sky Sports:

“We would like to move away from that and we feel confident this summer will be a lot quieter in Southampton and we can keep the core of this team moving forward for a few years.

“That is going to be important when you see how excellent the group is right now and how exciting the football is. The game we are playing is a pleasure to watch and a pleasure to be part of.”

Saints were the more effective side in a 3-2 EFL Cup Final loss to Manchester United this weekend, but are well off the pace in the race to make back-to-back trips into Europe.

It will be hard to hold onto Van Dijk and even new bright light Manolo Gabbiadini without Europe, but Krueger is a strong leader with the ability to convince almost anyone to buy into a plan.

Real Salt Lake signs Plata to multi-year DP deal

Real Salt Lake forward Joao Plata (8) gestures while walking during an MLS soccer game against New York City FC Saturday, May 23, 2015, in Sandy, Utah. (Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP) DESERET NEWS OUT; LOCAL TELEVISION OUT; MAGS OUT
Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP
Leave a comment

SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has re-signed forward Joao Plata to a multi-year contract and he will continue to hold a designated-player spot.

The 24-year-old was acquired from Toronto FC before the 2013 season and he has 30 goals and 30 assists in regular-season play with RSL.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

Plata ranks No. 3 on the team’s all-time assists list and No. 5 in goals. He has 33 goals and 35 assists during his MLS career.

Real Salt Lake begins the season Saturday when it hosts Toronto FC.

Gotze out indefinitely with metabolism disorder

ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS - NOVEMBER 06:  Mario Goetze (R) and Ann-Kathrin Broemmel attend the MTV Europe Music Awards 2016 on November 6, 2016 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.  (Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV)
Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze’s last few seasons have not fulfilled the expectations thrust about the World Cup-winning attacker.

Gotze, 24, scored the 113th minute goal that lifted Germany past Argentina in the 2014 World Cup, but has endured successive disappointing seasons between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

With just two goals this season, Gotze has played just 24 minutes since BVB came back from winter break. On Monday, the club revealed why: a metabolism disorder that will keep him out for an indefinite period of time. From Sky Sports:

“We are glad to know the reasons for Mario’s complaints and we are convinced that after recovering he will give us extra quality with his exceptional abilities,” said Dortmund’s director of sport Michael Zorc.

“Mario gets the full backing and maximum support from all of us at Borussia Dortmund on his way back.”

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Gotze at his best, and here’s hoping this problem is both curable and the reason for his struggles.

Liverpool hires EA Sports executive as new CEO

Leave a comment

Liverpool has named Peter Moore as the successor to chief executive office Ian Ayre.

Ayre, 53, is off to 1860 Munich this summer, and has stepped down early to allow Moore to take over.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

A Liverpool-born executive, Moore was the chief operating officer at EA Sports and has also worked with Microsoft and SEGA.

The move “completes a transitional phase” which saw several new names join the fray. From The Liverpool Echo:

The appointment completes a transition plan by FSG which included appointing Michael Edwards as sporting director while Billy Hogan was promoted to the role of managing director and chief commercial officer.