After 110 caps, 14 goals and a solid-if-unheralded career captaining the United States national team, Carlos Bocanegra is no longer a contributing member of Jurgen Klinsmann’s side.
He’s going to watch his first World Cup as a non-participant since 2002 this summer, in all likelihood. And in an interview with Goal.com, he sounds like he’s mostly got a handle on it… though he isn’t closing the door and he isn’t anywhere near ready to retire from club soccer.
Though he is acutely aware it’s been closed for him.
“They stop calling you in and it comes to an end for everybody,” Bocanegra said. “That’s how I looked at it. I gave everything for that team and I feel like I can hold my head up high and be proud, and say, ‘You know what? I don’t have regrets.’ It was them who told me they’re not bringing me in anymore.”
“If someone goes down or whatever, a change of heart, they need me back in there and he thinks I’m playing well for my club team? Great. But if not? I’ll cheer on the team just like I would any other time.”
And it’s not like Bocanegra doesn’t have a challenge to occupy his time. Chivas USA is now 1-1-2 on the season under Wilmer Cabrera, with a win over Chicago and draws against New York and Vancouver.
He’s gone 90 minutes in all four matches, and he’s staring straight-ahead at the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday.
Personally, I’ve always been a huge fan of Bocanegra and am a bit puzzled that there hasn’t been more of a debate at whether his exclusion is righteous. When a nation is fit to keep a younger player for the experience, why not a vet for, well, the experience.
FC Dallas’ hopes of winning MLS Cup are about to take a major hit.
Colombian attacker Fabian Castillo is ready to further his career beyond Major League Soccer, according to Goal.com, and is on the verge of a $3-4 million switch to Turkish side Trabzonspor.
Thrice capped for his national team, Castillo has been dynamite for Dallas. He has five goals and five assists in 22 appearances this season, and scored a combined 19 goals in the previous two seasons.
[ RUMOR ROUNDUP: Mahrez to Arsenal ]
Trabzonspor finished 12th in last year’s Turkish Super Lig, but won the league as recently as 2010-11 and is the 59th ranked team in UEFA.
FC Dallas manager Oscar Pareja is a strong manager, but it will take everything he has to keep the club atop the Western Conference. With stingy Colorado on the docket today, let’s see if Castillo is in the lineup.
The transfer mill has been churning out big names moves a-plenty this week as teams gear up for their seasons.
Rumors are coming fast and furious still, and Saturday is no exception.
[ MORE: Kolo to Celtic ]
Iceland’s run to the EURO quarterfinals may’ve opened a lot of eyes, but many already knew about Gylfi Sigurdsson. The Swansea man left for and returned from Spurs, but now could be on the move again.
The Express says Everton are willing to spend close to $33 million to lure Sigurdsson to Goodison Park. How wild have transfer fees gone in recent years? Brexit deflation aside, Sigurdsson’s moves to Swansea and Spurs cost between $9-12 million.
Eurosport reports that Arsenal is ready to go big in pursuit of Leicester City maestro Riyad Mahrez.
The Algerian international is said to have been “seduced” by the Gunners and wants to make a move to North London. The fee would be approximately $55 million, and take another instrumental part of the Foxes’ PL title run from the East Midlands.
The Sun claims that four omissions from Tottenham’s recent travel list mean all are destined to be sold by Mauricio Pochettino. Clinton N'Jie, Alex Pritchard, Nabil Bentaleb and Federico Fazio are ready for your club’s bid.
Zenit Saint Petersburg coach Mircea Lucescu told Calciomercato that there are three offers in for Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel, one in the Premier League and two in Serie A. Witsel has been linked with Everton, Liverpool and Roma this summer.
Young Spanish center back Carlos Blanco Moreno cranked home a long distance goal in Saturday’s International Champions Cup match between Juventus and Melbourne Victory.
[ MORE: Kolo to Celtic ]
Ex-Barcelona man Blanco, 20, brought down a substandard clearance from Melbourne goalkeeper Lawrence Thomas, took a touch, and blasted a shot over the 24-year-old Australian backstop.
Melbourne would draw level before going on to win the match in penalty kicks, but this was the highlight of the match.
Sky Sports reports that longtime Liverpool defender Kolo Toure has found a home under his former manager.
The 35-year-old center back was released by the Reds this summer, and is undergoing a medical ahead of joining Brendan Rodgers at Celtic.
[ MORE: Sunderland hires Moyes ]
Toure joined Liverpool from Manchester City in 2013, one year after Rodgers took the helm at Anfield.
The move would be Celtic’s second signing under Rodgers, as the Glasgow side added French forward Moussa Dembele from Fulham earlier this summer.