Jose Mourinho: “Fernando Torres has a future at Chelsea”

Leave a comment

On Wednesday against Paris Saint-Germain, Jose Mourinho started winger Andre Schurrle up front on his own and the Blues were drawing 1-1 with just over a third of the game to go. Then he brought on Fernando Torres for Schurrle, and the wheels came off in Chelsea’s 3-1 defeat.

After the game Mourinho said he wasn’t happy with his striking options, with many taking that as a sign the Blues will sign a new set of strikers this summer.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, Mourinho has backtracked on those comments. When asked about Torres’ future at Chelsea, the Portuguese manager was adamant his Spanish striker is still in his plans at Stamford Bridge.

“Obviously we want him to score more goals. But does he have a future? Yes.” Mourinho said. “During his period at the club he has had moments, some of them important moments. He works hard for the team and brings things to the team. He is contracted and a good professional.”

Earlier on this campaign I asked Mourinho about Torres’ importance to the team ethic, and he waxed lyrical about his hard work and perseverance up front, even if he doesn’t score as many goals as in previous seasons for Atletico Madrid and Liverpool. But that is a running theme for Mourinho’s strikers, as Torres has scored four times in the Premier League this season, Samuel Eto’o has scored eight and Demba Ba has scored three times. Just 13 of Chelsea’s 62 league goals have come from their forwards, with the Blues relying heavily on Eden Hazard, Oscar and other attacking midfielders.

Torres is adored by many of Chelsea’s fans for his work-rate and ability to lead the line with power and pace. However even the most ardent Chelsea fan would admit the 30-year-old’s scoring record since he joined for $75 million back in 2011 has been abysmal, with 44 goals in 164 matches for the Blues.

With many predicting Radamel Falcao, Edinson Cavani and other top strikers will turn up at Chelsea this summer, it seems that for the foreseeable future Mourinho has put his trust in Torres.

Mascherano out 6 weeks, will miss Argentina vs. Brazil

Alex Caparros/Getty Image
Leave a comment

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Barcelona says defender Javier Mascherano will be out of action for six weeks to recover from a right knee injury.

[ MORE: Luis Enrique leaves Barca with feeling of accomplishment ]

Barcelona’s season is over, but the injury will rule out Mascherano from Argentina’s friendly against Brazil on June 9.

Mascherano injured his leg early in Saturday’s final of the Copa del Rey, when Barcelona beat Alaves 3-1 to defend its title for a third straight season.

He also cut his head during the collision with an Alaves player that produced the leg injury. He returned on crutches to join the team celebration.

Argentina doesn’t play its next World Cup qualifier until it plays Uruguay on Aug. 28.

Courtois aiming at new Chelsea contract after strong season

Clive Mason/Getty Images
Leave a comment

There’s a wide range of players that were integral in Chelsea’s Premier League-winning season in 2016/17, but one of the most underrated was arguably goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.

[ MORE: PL clubs may miss on Celtic’s Dembele and more transfer news ]

The Blues shot-stopper started all but two PL matches this past campaign, and now the Belgian international is seeking an extension with the London club.

“Contract talks haven’t opened but I am happy at Chelsea,” Courtois told Sky Sports after Chelsea’s loss to Arsenal at Wembley.

“I hope they reward me with a good contract, then there will be no doubt I will sign it.”

The 25-year-old keeper has been in at Stamford Bridge since arriving from Genk in 2011, but Courtois spent three seasons in Spain on a loan spell.

Courtois likened this PL campaign to his time on loan at Atletico Madrid, stating that while his side’s achievements in the league were everything Chelsea could have hoped for that there was still more the Blues could have done.

“It’s not a good feeling now,” Courtois told Chelsea’s official website. “I had the same thing in Spain when I won the league and then lost the Champions League.

“We wanted to end on a high, now we feel sad. Winning is everything so this is hard to face but we have to try to forget it.”

Francesco Totti on bench for final Roma match

Paolo Bruno/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sunday marks Francesco Totti’s final match with Roma after a stellar 24-year career, but the striker won’t be starting at the Stadio Olimpico.

[ MORE: Reus could miss at least six months after suffering knee damage ]

The 40-year-old was named to the bench for his club’s 2016/17 Serie A finale against Cagliari, with Roma needing a victory to capture second position in Italy’s top flight.

Napoli currently sits just one point behind the Giallorossi and hold a slight two-goal edge in goal differential, which could be a decisive factor in which side finishes second.

It would be quite odd for Roma to not give Totti playing time in his final outing, after a career that featured over 300 goals across all competitions for his hometown club.

Transfer rumor roundup: PL clubs losing ground for Dembele and more

Ian MacNicol/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With all the major leagues across Europe either closing or already have finished it’s the season of transfer rumors once again.

[ MORE: Three things we learned from Arsenal’s FA Cup win vs. Chelsea ]

Here are several of the juiciest pieces from Sunday:

Three London sides could potentially miss out on Celtic star Moussa Dembele as AC Milan has emerged as a favorite to sign the top-rated Frenchman. Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham have all expressed great interest in the promising attacker, who scored 17 goals this season for the Scottish champions.

After struggling at times this season to keep goals out, Liverpool could turn to France as a potential outlet to fix the cracks in their back line. AS Monaco’s Benjamin Mendy already has significant PL interest from Manchester United and Manchester City, but Jurgen Klopp‘s side could also put up a fight.

West Ham is looking to bolster its attack this summer, and with Pep Guardiola likely making significant changes at the Etihad Stadium, Kelechi Iheanacho could be on his way to the Hammers ahead of the 2017/18 PL season.

Manchester City higher ups are keen on having Guardiola bring back goalkeeper Joe Hart from Torino this summer. Hart spent last season on loan with the Italian club after Guardiola sent him away from England early in his managing tenure at the club.