Sherwood unfazed by speculation, as Tottenham boss impresses with passion

Leave a comment

LONDON, England — As the rain teamed down at White Hart Lane early in Tottenham’s 5-1 win against Sunderland, Spurs manager Tim Sherwood sat on the edge of his seat on the bench tentatively, like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Slumping back into his seat time and time again, jumping up and down, remonstrating with the referee, swearing excessively, getting involved with fans and doing it all with a smile on his face, Sherwood enjoyed his night despite all the recent pressure being piled on top of him.

Earlier on Monday it was reported that Sherwood will be let go as Tottenham manager at the end of the season, responding to questions about his future, the Spurs boss remains defiant he’s the right man for the job.

“Nothing has changed, I have had a chat about next season, players I’ve identified for next season and preseason plans. Nothing has changed,” Sherwood said.

Responding to further questions about the uncertainty around his future, Sherwood isn’t fazed by it. Not at all.

“The uncertainty has always been there, you can’t stop speculation. It has always been there from the moment I took over to where we are now,” Sherwood said. “It’s up to the football club to answer those questions. I am going to be professional and worry about the players on the pitch and getting the best out of them between now and the end of the season. I am more than capable of doing that.”

(MORE: Three things we learned from Tottenham’s win vs. Sunderland)

With manager’s such as Louis van Gaal reportedly lined up to replace Sherwood in the summer — with the former Spurs captain only handed an 18-month deal back in January — it seems like Chairman Daniel Levy isn’t 100 percent certain on what Sherwood’s no-nonsense character brings to the table. He has had a wonderful start to life in the PL, there’s no disputing that. The 45-year-old has won 10 of his 17 games in charge of Spurs since taking over from Andre Villas-Boas, and has the best winning percentage of any Spurs manager in PL history. But somehow his face doesn’t quite fit, as it’s inevitable that a new manager will be at the helm at White Hart Lane next season.

Asked whether Tottenham are entitled to look for a new manager, while he is still in charge, Sherwood had the following to say.

“I think every club are always looking for the next one,” Sherwood said. “It’s the same with players, you always look for someone to possibly come in and replace the player. I don’t know if this club has been doing that, I have no idea. All I know is that any question regarding my employment, you have to ask my employers.”

(MORE: Tottenham 5-1 Sunderland – Eriksen all-world at White Hart Lane)

Tottenham’s players put in a top performance for Sherwood, as they hammered Sunderland and had 29 efforts on goal in a completely dominant display. When Emmanuel Adebayor scored his second, he ran to Sherwood and saluted Spurs’ boss… Sherwood saluted back with a cheeky smile on his face. The players seem to love playing for Sherwood, does he get the feeling that they are backing him 100 percent?

“I think they are, I’m backing them as well,” Sherwood said defiantly. “What they get from me is honesty, they know when they don’t do it. I tell them. But when they do well, I pat them on the back. It works both ways, and that is healthy. I always wanted honesty from my managers, sometimes I never got it.”

Will Sherwood get honesty from his chairman and those who decide his future? That’s the least he deserves, as speculation around his future continues to spiral out of control.

Young Englishman Oxford goes abroad, to Gladbach, on loan

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MOENCHENGLADBACH, Germany (AP) Borussia Moenchengladbach has signed English central defender Reece Oxford on loan for the season from Premier League club West Ham.

Gladbach sporting director Max Eberl says “Oxford has gone through all the England youth teams and is one of the biggest defensive talents in Britain.”

The 18-year-old Oxford, who spent the second half of last season on loan at second-division club Reading, is Gladbach’s fifth arrival of the off-season.

Qatar stadium safety concerns again raised by death investigation

Photo by Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy/Qatar 2022 via Getty Images
Leave a comment

An investigation into why a British man fell to his death on a building site for the 2022 Qatar soccer World Cup has raised concerns about stadium roof safety.

World Cup organizers on Thursday released partial findings of an assessment of the accident at the Khalifa International Stadium, but said the full report cannot be released while local authorities continue their own investigation. It is one of two work-related deaths detailed in Qatar’s latest welfare report on preparations for the 2022 soccer tournament, which currently involves 12,367 workers on eight construction sites.

The 40-year-old British man fell 39 meters in January after one end of the roof catwalk he was installing dropped and a safety rope snapped.

“During the course of the investigation, the team had raised concerns with the method of installation of the raised catwalk system,” the welfare report from Qatar’s World Cup organizers stated. “This required further investigation regarding the method itself and the supervision skills of the specialist contractor staff.”

It has led to “corrective and preventative actions” being implemented by the contractor, a joint venture between Belgian and Qatari firms, along with safety checks across all stadium sites, the report said.

“These included a review of all working-at-height activities across all SC projects, an enhanced process when reviewing specialist activities within construction sites, and a detailed review of all roof and gantry designs,” the Supreme Committee overseeing stadium projects added.

The British man is the only European working on Qatar stadiums to have died in a country relying on a low-paid migrant workforce from south Asia to prepare for the first World Cup in the Middle East. Six non-work related deaths have been announced by organizers, with most suffering from heart or breathing problems.

Hassan Al Thawadi, the supreme committee’s secretary general, said medical staff are trying to raise awareness of the “importance of healthy lifestyles” by evaluating diets and identifying health issues, including hypertension and diabetes. Cooling helmets have also been developed in an attempt to make it safer for workers on outdoor sites during the searing summer heat.

World Cup preparations have been dogged by concerns about the welfare of workers since the natural gas-rich Gulf nation won the FIFA vote in 2010. Mounting international pressure led to Qatar raising living standards and worker rights. Inspections led to three contractors being blacklisted and 14 entities “demobilized” from projects for failing to tackle welfare issues, the World Cup report reveals.

“There is still work to be done to ensure our workers’ welfare standards continue to have a tangible impact on the ground and we are comprehensive in our attempts to tackle the myriad of issues facing migrant workers across the SC program,” Khalid Al-Kubaisi, who oversees worker welfare at the Supreme Committee, said in a statement.

The report has been released as Qatar is gripped by a diplomatic crisis that has seen it isolated in the region. Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain cut ties with Qatar earlier this month and blocked air, sea and land traffic over its support for Islamist groups and ties with Iran. Qatar denies the charges and says the allegations are politically motivated.

Official (finally): Salah completes move from Roma to Liverpool

Photo credit: Liverpool FC / Twiter: @LFC
Leave a comment

It was the summer’s first transfer rumor-turned-real-story-turned-never-ending-saga that seemed to refuse to cross the finish line, but it’s finally come to pass: Mohamed Salah is a Liverpool player.

Salah’s move from Roma to Liverpool took so long to complete that the club’s poor social-media manager probably never wants to read the words “Announce Salah” for the rest of his/her life.

The deal will cost Liverpool something in the neighborhood of $50 million — a new Liverpool club record — and completes the utterly terrifying attacking quartet Jurgen Klopp can’t wait to unleash on the Premier League come August — Salah on one side, Sadio Mane opposite, Philippe Coutinho in the middle, and Roberto Firmino at striker. Salah, by the way, will take over Firmino’s no. 11 shirt, with the Brazilian switching to no. 9.

Alexis sets the record, but Germany come back for draw

Leave a comment

Alexis Sanchez became Chile’s all-time leading goalscorer (38) on Thursday, and La Roja inched ever closer to progression at the 2017 Confederations Cup with a 1-1 draw against Germany.

[ MORE: VAR steps in to help Aussies draw Cameroon, 1-1 ]

Sanchez moved past Marcelo Salas with his 6th-minute opener (above video) to capitalize on a poor turnover and complete a quick one-two atop Germany’s 18-yard box. Arturo Vidal put a foot in to disrupt Germany’s attempt to play out of the back, and the ball fell to Sanchez who quickly played it back to Vidal, who played Sanchez into the box for a left-footed finish inside the near post.

[ MORE: Latest 2017 Confederations Cup news

Chile’s lead wouldn’t quite last until halftime, though, as Lars Stindl got on the end of Jonas Hector’s cross in the 41st minute to bring the reigning World Cup champions back to level terms and all but secure their place in the next round.

With the result, Chile and Germany remain tied on top of Group B (4 points) with one game to play. Given the distance between themselves and Australia and Cameron (1 point each) in third and fourth, a draw in their final group games would be more than enough to go through to the semifinals. One-goal defeats would even do the trick.