Monk

More conspiracy theories with Swansea and Villa involved in shady training ground reports

Leave a comment

Following the madness between Cardiff City and Crystal Palace, there is more finger-pointing coming out of the English top flight, as it seems like a wave of paranoia has hit training grounds across the Premier League.

Swansea manager Garry Monk (pictured) said he believes someone is looking to ruffle feathers around the club in an attempt to sabotage performances on the pitch.

“We have got a good idea of the source that it has come from to try and unsettle us at this time,” Monk said during his press conference ahead of this weekend’s matches.  The Swans manager is referring to what he believes is a deliberate leak following a training ground scuffle.

Monk said things were “blown out of proportion” when it was reported earlier this week that things got out of hand between players at training on more than one occasion. Swansea did confirm there were incidents but Monk insisted “everything is fine” and the club has “moved on.”

“I have my ideas of who it may be and stuff trying to unsettle us, but that definitely won’t be happening with this group,” Monk continued, insinuating there’s a particular place he believes the supposed leaks are coming from. “The media get hold of it and blow it out of proportion. The source, where they mention the stuff they mention, clearly comes from the outside because some of it was just bizarre, what they were saying. But that’s what people try to do, they try to unsettle you.”

Elsewhere in the Premier League, Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert refused to speak on the confusing and unexplained suspension of two Villa assistants.

Lambert cited a “legal investigation” as reasons he couldn’t speak on the issue, but confirmed the club had temporarily replaced assistants Ian Culverhouse and Gary Karsa earlier this week.  Their replacements are Gordon Cowans and goalkeeper Shay Given.

According to the Birmingham Mail earlier this week, the suspensions were handed down when “relationships with players in the first team became fractured.”  However, that wouldn’t explain the current investigation now ringing through Villa Park.

While Lambert was unable to speak on the two suspended assistants, he did gush about his two new coaches. “Gordon is an absolute club legend. He’s won the highest honour in the game. I have a good relationship with Gordon. He has been willing to come up and help and Shay is the same. [Given] has been about the block been involved in massive games before and he has come up and given me a hand as well.”

Aston Villa host Southampton this weekend, while Swansea City travel to Newcastle.

Southampton: Van Dijk won’t leave, selling days likely done

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - MARCH 29:  Ralph Krueger the Southampton Chairman looks on during the Barclays Premier League match between Southampton and Newcastle United at St Mary's Stadium on March 29, 2014 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ralph Krueger doesn’t plan on selling any more big Southampton stars, and there’s none brighter than Virgil Van Dijk.

The Dutchman is perhaps the best center back in the Premier League, regularly linked with transfers to anywhere from Manchester City to Liverpool.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

But Krueger says Saints have had enough of selling big assets. Southampton has sold Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Sadio Mane, and Nathaniel Clyne in the past three seasons, and those are just the names to go to Liverpool. Morgan Schneiderlin and Victor Wanyama have also moved on from St. Mary’s.

From Sky Sports:

“We would like to move away from that and we feel confident this summer will be a lot quieter in Southampton and we can keep the core of this team moving forward for a few years.

“That is going to be important when you see how excellent the group is right now and how exciting the football is. The game we are playing is a pleasure to watch and a pleasure to be part of.”

Saints were the more effective side in a 3-2 EFL Cup Final loss to Manchester United this weekend, but are well off the pace in the race to make back-to-back trips into Europe.

It will be hard to hold onto Van Dijk and even new bright light Manolo Gabbiadini without Europe, but Krueger is a strong leader with the ability to convince almost anyone to buy into a plan.

Real Salt Lake signs Plata to multi-year DP deal

Real Salt Lake forward Joao Plata (8) gestures while walking during an MLS soccer game against New York City FC Saturday, May 23, 2015, in Sandy, Utah. (Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP) DESERET NEWS OUT; LOCAL TELEVISION OUT; MAGS OUT
Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP
Leave a comment

SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has re-signed forward Joao Plata to a multi-year contract and he will continue to hold a designated-player spot.

The 24-year-old was acquired from Toronto FC before the 2013 season and he has 30 goals and 30 assists in regular-season play with RSL.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

Plata ranks No. 3 on the team’s all-time assists list and No. 5 in goals. He has 33 goals and 35 assists during his MLS career.

Real Salt Lake begins the season Saturday when it hosts Toronto FC.

Gotze out indefinitely with metabolism disorder

ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS - NOVEMBER 06:  Mario Goetze (R) and Ann-Kathrin Broemmel attend the MTV Europe Music Awards 2016 on November 6, 2016 in Rotterdam, Netherlands.  (Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV)
Photo by Andreas Rentz/Getty Images for MTV
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze’s last few seasons have not fulfilled the expectations thrust about the World Cup-winning attacker.

Gotze, 24, scored the 113th minute goal that lifted Germany past Argentina in the 2014 World Cup, but has endured successive disappointing seasons between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

[ MORE: Liverpool hires new CEO ]

With just two goals this season, Gotze has played just 24 minutes since BVB came back from winter break. On Monday, the club revealed why: a metabolism disorder that will keep him out for an indefinite period of time. From Sky Sports:

“We are glad to know the reasons for Mario’s complaints and we are convinced that after recovering he will give us extra quality with his exceptional abilities,” said Dortmund’s director of sport Michael Zorc.

“Mario gets the full backing and maximum support from all of us at Borussia Dortmund on his way back.”

It’s been a while since we’ve seen Gotze at his best, and here’s hoping this problem is both curable and the reason for his struggles.

Liverpool hires EA Sports executive as new CEO

Leave a comment

Liverpool has named Peter Moore as the successor to chief executive office Ian Ayre.

Ayre, 53, is off to 1860 Munich this summer, and has stepped down early to allow Moore to take over.

[ MORE: Liverpool flops vs LCFC ]

A Liverpool-born executive, Moore was the chief operating officer at EA Sports and has also worked with Microsoft and SEGA.

The move “completes a transitional phase” which saw several new names join the fray. From The Liverpool Echo:

The appointment completes a transition plan by FSG which included appointing Michael Edwards as sporting director while Billy Hogan was promoted to the role of managing director and chief commercial officer.