Alex Ferguson backed David Moyes’ firing, will help select a successor

3 Comments

Not even Alex Ferguson, the man who implored Manchester United fans to give his chosen successor time at Old Trafford, could mount a defense of David Moyes. According to reporting tonight from The Times, the former United boss supported the club’s decision to move away from his preferred successor. He will also get a chance to redeem himself, set to play a role in identifying Moyes’ replacement.

The reporting is supported by The Guardian, who has more details on the mood at Old Trafford. Ed Woodward and the Glazer family, conscious of Ferguson’s part in the failed transition, still value the former manager’s input; however, whereas 10 months ago Ferguson was allowed to hand-pick his successor, the final decision on the club’s next boss will rest with Woodward, the club’s chief executive.

From The Guardian:

United are deliberating between Louis van Gaal and Carlo Ancelotti to replace David Moyes … Diego Simeone, the Atlético Madrid coach, is also being considered but United are leaning towards a more experienced candidate …

Ferguson will … be an influential voice because the club consider it would be foolish to discount him, even though there is now an acceptance at boardroom level that he made a serious error of judgment choosing Moyes last year when José Mourinho was available.

Van Gaal has been connected to both the Tottenham and Manchester United jobs since earlier this year, with the Dutch boss thought to have kept interest in the Spurs job at a minimum with the hopes the United job would open up. Though he as a reputation for being a scorched earth artist, with none of his last six jobs lasting longer than four years (and averaging just over two seasons per stop), his record of success depicts a man capable of engineering quick turnaround. Beyond titles at Ajax, Barcelona, and AZ, Van Gaal was the man Bayern Munich turned to regain the German crown after the club’s ill fit with Jurgen Klinsmann.

If Manchester United is looking for a bridge to an eventual Ryan Giggs tenure, Van Gaal is a logical choice. As is Carlo Ancelotti, provided he’s willing to leave Real Madrid for Old Trafford. Regardless, the man who made the mistake of choosing Moyes will get a chance to redeem himself by contributing to this second, unexpected process.

FIFA force pace on $25B Club World Cup, global league plan

AP Photo/Hassan Ammar
Leave a comment

GENEVA (AP) FIFA is forcing the pace on talks over a $25 billion offer to revamp the Club World Cup and create a global national team competition.

FIFA says President Gianni Infantino hosted a meeting last Friday with invited officials from some top European clubs.

[ MORE: Everton gets past Newcastle behind Walcott strike ]

The European Club Association has strongly opposed FIFA’s hope for a four-yearly club tournament starting in 2021, which could rival the UEFA-organized Champions League.

UEFA has also proposed a Global Nations League. A similar project is tied to the FIFA-controlled $25 billion, 12-year offer from a consortium including investors from Saudi Arabia and China.

FIFA says it’s holding “informal ongoing discussions with different stakeholders on the topic of the future Club World Cups.”

Infantino is set to meet confederation presidents and general secretaries “in the near future,” FIFA says.

Video: De Rossi, Roma make classy visit to Hillsborough memorial

Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

On many occasions there are instances where teams and individuals exemplify the fact that real-life occurrences are more meaningful than sports.

Ahead of Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League meeting, Italian giants AS Roma visited Anfield –where they will face Liverpool in the competition’s semifinals.

After walking around the venue where the two sides will compete in less than 24 hours, Roma captain Daniele de Rossi and the rest of the Roma squad visited the Hillsborough memorial at Anfield to pay tribute to the 96 victims lost in the 1989 event that rocked the entire country.

De Rossi was seen laying a floral arrangement on the site, along with a note from the club that read, “In memoria delle vittime di Hillsborough AS Rome.”

Liverpool, Roma ride major emotions into the UCL semifinals

John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Four clubs remain in this season’s UEFA Champions League competition, and while two of the teams have been considered heavy dogs in the fight all year long the other two sides look to continue on their storybook run.

Liverpool, Roma, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have found themselves in the semifinals of this season’s UCL, creating a strong mix of storylines as the tournament heads towards its most critical point.

[ MORE: Everton gets past Newcastle behind Theo Walcott’s strike ]

Anfield will be the site for Tuesday’s first leg between Liverpool and Roma, with both sides still riding major highs from their victories in the last round.

The Reds enter the final four after having disposed of fellow Premier League side Manchester City in relatively dominating fashion. Meanwhile, Roma completed a seemingly impossible comeback against Barcelona to progress in the competition.

Liverpool is led by three of the year’s top goalscorers, including Mohamed Salah — who has scored eight goals in the UCL and 41 across all competitions.

For Roma, much of the side’s success has been predicated on finding defensive strength at the right moments throughout the tournament.

Despite falling behind 4-1 in their first leg defeat to Barca in the previous round, Edin Dzeko and Co. rallied for a 3-0 win at the Stade Olimpico to stun the Catalan club by holding Lionel Messi and his side in check.

Manager Eusebio Di Francesco will have to find creative ways to halt the Liverpool attack though over the course of two legs, with the Reds boasting the top attack in this year’s UCL.

Liverpool has scored 33 goals in 10 UCL matches, while only conceding seven in the process.

Keeper Ederson hopeful he can score this season for Man City

Matthew Lewis/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The prospects for a goalkeeper scoring during a match are usually uncommon, but that hasn’t halted Manchester City’s number one choice from aiming to break the trend this season.

Ederson — who has moved into the starting role at the Etihad Stadium with relative ease in 2017/18 — has dreamt of scoring a goal of his own for the Premier League champions in waiting.

“I heard the fans chanting my name, asking me to take the penalty but Gabriel went there,” Ederson said. “Unfortunately he missed it and Bernardo happily scored. But if the manager have asked me to go there, definitely I’d score.

“I’m not sure if I would be able to do set-pieces, but I’m good at penalties, either using power or technique on shooting it. But City have [their] regular penalty-takers and we are well-served.

Citizen supporters chanted for the goalkeeper to take a penalty kick over the weekend in the team’s 5-0 win over Swansea City.

However, Gabriel Jesus was the man selected for the opportunity, but had his attempt saved by Lukasz Fabianski before Bernardo Silva was in the right spot to score the game’s fifth goal.

“If Pep asks me to take it, I’m there,” Ederson said of the penalty kick. “Hopefully it will happen [before the end of the season], I’d like to score.”

This isn’t the first time Ederson has discussed exploring opportunities outside of the net, though.

The Brazilian shot-stopper has long been a fan of former Brazil international goalkeeper Rogero Ceni — who scored 65 goals for club side Sao Paolo.

Earlier this season, the 24-year-old joked around with the media, saying that he’d be more than happy to fill a role in the midfield when City was experiencing some injury issues within the squad.