Real Madrid’s Carlo Ancelotti distances himself from Manchester United job

Leave a comment

Following David Moyes firing as Manchester United boss, rumors continue to reverberate around the soccer world about who his successor will be.

So far Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has distanced himself from reports, then Jose Mourinho laughed off reports he was heading to Old Trafford and now Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti is ruling himself out.

Ancelotti, who has taken Real to the UEFA Champions League semifinals and is battling it out for the La Liga title to add to the Copa del Rey he’s already won, has enjoyed a superb first season at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The 54-year-old Italian coach has now had success in Italy, England, France and Spain, after previously leading AC Milan, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain to silverware before his recent stint in the Spanish capital.

So, Carlo, what about taking over the vacant managers position at Man United? Not so much…

“This happens every year and I always say the same thing. I’m lucky to coach the best team in the world,” Ancelotti said. “I respect Manchester United a lot. I was disappointed for what happened to David Moyes but my place at the moment is here.”

Yet another ‘thanks, but no thanks’ for United, as it seems as though every coach in the land is distancing themselves from the huge rebuilding job needed at the Red Devils.

Ancelotti has the pedigree, persona and experience to succeed at Europe’s elite teams but it seems as though although he and others respect United, they wouldn’t want to risk ruining their reputation as a coach if they fall flat on their faces just like David Moyes did. With the ruthless Glazer family wanting success but not willing to wait for it, can you blame most managers for passing up a chance to manage England’s most successful domestic club?

Returning United to its former glory is certainly a daunting task. Who is going to stick their neck out on the line and actually do it?

Sergio Aguero expects to miss a month with hamstring injury

Sergio Aguero
Leave a comment

After scoring five goals against Newcastle United, Sergio Aguero may have to wait a bit of time to get back to scoring in the Premier League.

The Manchester City striker lasted just 25 minutes in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier on Thursday, as he was stretchered off with a hamstring injury. 

Aguero underwent testing in Argentina, and told the local media “I think I’m going to be out for a month.”

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

Manchester City and Argentina teammate Nicolas Otamendi said Aguero was in tears in the dressing room, and some reports have penned the injury as a torn hamstring.

If Aguero were to be ruled out for a month, he would miss City’s Champions League clash vs. Sevilla, as well as the massive Manchester derby away at United on October 25.

To make matters worse for City supporters, David Silva was forced off after just ten minutes while playing for Spain today. Silva took a harsh challenge from behind, and hobbled off with what looked to be an ankle injury. If Silva’s injury ends up being more than just a knock, City could be without their two most important players in the attack.

Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze out 10-12 weeks with groin injury

SHANGHAI, CHINA - JULY 21:  Mario Goetze of FC Bayern Muenchen in action during the international friendly match between FC Bayern Muenchen and Inter Milan of the Audi Football Summit 2015 at Shanghai Stadium on July 21, 2015 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mario Gotze could be out of action until 2016 after picking up a groin injury on international duty.

The Bayern Munich midfielder suffered a tendon tear in his abductor muscle while stretching for a ball in Germany’s 1-0 loss to Ireland in EURO qualifiers on Thursday. He was taken off in the 35th minute.

Ruled out for 10-12 weeks, Gotze is likely to miss the rest of the first half of the season for Bayern. Their last league match of 2015 is on December 19, which is 11 weeks away. The Bundesliga then goes on winter break, with Bayern’s next match not until January 23.

[ RELATED: Sam Allardyce appointed Sunderland boss ]

Gotze will miss both of Bayern’s upcoming Champions League matches against Arsenal, which is good news for the Gunners as they are in desperate need of a result.

However, Arjen Robben is back in training and will make his return to action within the coming weeks. After starting the Bundesliga seasons with eight wins out of eight, Robben’s return would add just another weapon to Pep Guardiola’s dominant attack.

Robben has not played since being injured in early September while playing for the Netherlands, and could feature for Bayern against Werder Bremen next week.