United States national soccer team coach Klinsmann of Germany gestures to photographers while visiting Arena Amazonia stadium with Monteiro in Manaus

Jurgen Klinsmann will bring 30 players to World Cup training camp at Stanford University

Leave a comment

US Men’s National Team coach Jurgen Klinsmann has announced over Twitter that he will take a 30-man preliminary roster to the pre-World Cup camp to be held at Stanford University over a two week period of time beginning on May 14th.

Leading up to today’s decision there was a lack of clarity as to whether Klinsmann would take the maximum 30-man roster to Stanford or whether he would take a more streamlined approach by naming his final 23-man roster, or some number in between.

In the end Klinsmann has taken the most competitive and prudent approach of taking 30-men, allowing them to contend for spots while affording some cushion for potential injuries that may arise. The decision now sets up a seven-man cut that Klinsmann and his coaching staff will make by the June 2nd roster deadline.

The 30-man roster will be released upon submission to FIFA on or before May 13th, with training camp beginning the following day. Players will compete for playing time in the three friendly matches lined up to prepare the USMNT for Brazil — against Azerbaijan at Candlestick Park on May 27th, Turkey at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey on June 1st and Nigeria at Everback Park in Jacksonville, Florida on June 7th.

The Yanks camp at Stanford will take place at the Cagan Stadium soccer facility beginning on May 14th but will not be open to the public. 

“This is going to be the foundation of the World Cup,” US coach Jurgen Klinsmann said in a video interview released Thursday by the U.S. Soccer Federation. “It’s a dry climate. It’s fresh air. We can add more sessions into that period than we usually would do.”

Report: Manchester City makes final bid for John Stones

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 16:  Diego Costa of Chelsea and John Stones of Everton compete for the ball during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge on January 16, 2016 in London, England.  (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Take it or leave it.

Manchester City has made a final push for Everton defender John Stones, and has set its last offer at $52 million. Last month, the Citizens made the same exact bid for the 22-year-old, which was rejected by Everton.

[ MORE: Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to join Chinese Super League ]

City is said to be looking to avoid overpaying for Stones, after compensating Porto over $55 million for centerback Eliaquim Mangala two years ago.

While Stones has gone on record saying that he wants to play for manager Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, it remains to be seen if Everton will part ways with its prized defender.

NASL weekend preview: Rayo OKC faces stiff test against Minnesota

rayo okc
Leave a comment

Following a midweek loss against FC Edmonton, the New York Cosmos will try to rebound at home against Puerto Rico FC.

The Cosmos currently have two losses during the Fall Season, having conceded 10 goals in six matches, which is the second-most in NASL.

[ MORE: MLS weekend preview ]

With no unbeatens remaining, Spring Season champion Indy Eleven looks to keep its place near the top of the table against Miami FC.

Minnesota United looks to build off of its strong start against league leaders Rayo OKC, with the two teams separated by a mere two points.

Meanwhile, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers continue to search for their first win of the Fall Season against the struggling Jacksonville Armada.

Saturday

New York Cosmos vs. Puerto Rico FC

Ottawa Fury vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies

Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs. Jacksonville Armada

Miami FC vs. Indy Eleven

Rayo OKC vs. Minnesota United

Sunday

FC Edmonton vs. Carolina RailHawks

Liverpool keeper Karius to miss two months

MEYRIN, SWITZERLAND - JULY 22:   Loris Karius of 1. FSV Mainz 05 in action during the pre-season friendly match between 1. FSV Mainz 05 and AS Monaco at Stade des Arberes on July 22, 2015 in Meyrin, Switzerland.  (Photo by Harold Cunningham/Getty Images)
Harold Cunningham/Getty Images
Leave a comment

He was tabbed to be Liverpool’s opening day starter in goal, but Loris Karius could now miss the first two months of the Premier League season after suffering a hand injury in Wednesday’s International Champions Cup loss against Chelsea.

[ MORE: Real looking at Sissoko, Verratti as midfield options ]

The 23-year-old was brought to the Reds this summer from Bundesliga side Mainz for over $6 million.

Karius opted not to represent Germany at next month’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in order to avoid missing any game action with Liverpool. Unfortunately, the young keeper will now likely miss between eight and 10 weeks.

Italian legend Christian Vieri looks to make comeback

ROME, ITALY - OCTOBER 19:  Christian Vieri poses with the UEFA Champions League Trophy during the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour 2012/13 on October 19, 2012 in Rome, Italy.  (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images for UEFA)
Paolo Bruno/Getty Images for UEFA
Leave a comment

His career ended over seven years ago, but former Italy international Christian Vieri is looking to make an improbable comeback in a country that continues to attract big stars.

The 43-year-old Vieri is reportedly coming out of retirement to join the Chinese Super League, and posted a video on Twitter confirming his plans.

Last playing in 2009, Vieri finished his career where it began — in Italy — with Atalanta. During his career, the striker played for 10 clubs in his native country, while also spending time in Spain and France with Atletico Madrid and Monaco, respectively.

Vieri made his name with Inter Milan, where he recorded six straight seasons with double-digit goals. At the height of his career with Internazionale, Vieri netted 27 times across all competitions during the 2002/03 season.