Brendan Rodgers

Brendan Rodgers concedes Premier League title after Liverpool’s capitulation

6 Comments

.

LONDON — Sat in the press lounge at Selhurst Park slumped forward and a scowl on his face, Brendan Rodgers looked like a man who had just had his hopes and dreams ripped from within his grasp.

In the aftermath of his side’s damaging draw, Liverpool’s Northern Irish manager knew his side had blown the Premier League title with their late collapse in South London.

MORE: Three things we learned from Liverpool’s dramatic collapse vs. Crystal Palace

Rodgers looked on in disbelief in the final 10 minutes of Liverpool’s 3-3 draw with Crystal Palace on Monday as his team were 3-0 up in the 79th minute but somehow capitulated and threw away their commanding lead to tie.

Liverpool has now conceded 49 goals in 37 games, despite scoring 99, and that is what has ultimately cost them the title. According to Rodgers, Manchester City are now the Champions of England.

“It is 99 goals we have scored, which is a phenomenal achievement by the team – but you have to defend,” Rodgers said. “It is no good scoring all those goals if you defend as we did tonight. There is no doubt. Manchester City will go on and win it. We needed to win to keep the pressure on going into the last game and we did not do that. You have to have that maturity to see it through and we did not do that. It was bitterly disappointing and I would expect Manchester City to go on and win their two home games.”

WATCH: The moments after final whistle between Liverpool and Palace

Despite conceding the title in utter devastation, Rodgers was quick to point out how far Liverpool has come in the last 12 months. Last season they finished in seventh and now with one game to go in their PL campaign they are top of the table. However the kicker is that Man City has two home games left against Aston Villa and West Ham which they should win and then be crowned PL champions.

For the time being Liverpool are top and Rodgers is desperate to try and keep the clubs feel-good mentality going, even in the darkest of hours in which they now find themselves in.

“We go top tonight as well, with 81 points with a week to go in the season and we are sat here devastated,” Rodgers said. “We finished seventh last season. We are ahead of schedule. We have made great strides but I am certainly here to fight and win titles and I will be relentless in that “We are trying to build something sustainable. This season has shown we will be capable of doing that. Next year I believe we will make more strides forward and hopefully be up there challenging again.”

Rodgers, it seems, has finally given up on delivering Liverpool’s first league title in 24 years.

Report: FC Dallas superstar Castillo off to Turkey

FRISCO, TX - APRIL 12:  Fabian Castillo #11 of the FC Dallas looks on against the Seattle Sounders FC on April 12, 2014 at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas.  (Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images)
Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images
Leave a comment

FC Dallas’ hopes of winning MLS Cup are about to take a major hit.

Colombian attacker Fabian Castillo is ready to further his career beyond Major League Soccer, according to Goal.com, and is on the verge of a $3-4 million switch to Turkish side Trabzonspor.

Thrice capped for his national team, Castillo has been dynamite for Dallas. He has five goals and five assists in 22 appearances this season, and scored a combined 19 goals in the previous two seasons.

[ RUMOR ROUNDUP: Mahrez to Arsenal ]

Trabzonspor finished 12th in last year’s Turkish Super Lig, but won the league as recently as 2010-11 and is the 59th ranked team in UEFA.

FC Dallas manager Oscar Pareja is a strong manager, but it will take everything he has to keep the club atop the Western Conference. With stingy Colorado on the docket today, let’s see if Castillo is in the lineup.

Transfer rumor roundup: Mahrez “seduced” by Arsenal, Witsel pursued

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 06:  Riyad Mahrez of Leicester City celebrates scoring his team's second goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester City and Leicester City at the Etihad Stadium on February 6, 2016 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The transfer mill has been churning out big names moves a-plenty this week as teams gear up for their seasons.

Rumors are coming fast and furious still, and Saturday is no exception.

[ MORE: Kolo to Celtic ]

Iceland’s run to the EURO quarterfinals may’ve opened a lot of eyes, but many already knew about Gylfi Sigurdsson. The Swansea man left for and returned from Spurs, but now could be on the move again.

The Express says Everton are willing to spend close to $33 million to lure Sigurdsson to Goodison Park. How wild have transfer fees gone in recent years? Brexit deflation aside, Sigurdsson’s moves to Swansea and Spurs cost between $9-12 million.


Eurosport reports that Arsenal is ready to go big in pursuit of Leicester City maestro Riyad Mahrez.

The Algerian international is said to have been “seduced” by the Gunners and wants to make a move to North London. The fee would be approximately $55 million, and take another instrumental part of the Foxes’ PL title run from the East Midlands.


The Sun claims that four omissions from Tottenham’s recent travel list mean all are destined to be sold by Mauricio Pochettino. Clinton N'Jie, Alex Pritchard, Nabil Bentaleb and Federico Fazio are ready for your club’s bid.

Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United - Capital One Cup Quarter-Final


Zenit Saint Petersburg coach Mircea Lucescu told Calciomercato that there are three offers in for Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel, one in the Premier League and two in Serie A. Witsel has been linked with Everton, Liverpool and Roma this summer.

WATCH: Juventus’ Blanco scores from just inside Melbourne’s half

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 23:  Carlos Blanco Moreno of Juventus celebrates his second half goal during the 2016 International Champions Cup Australia match between Melbourne Victory FC and Juventus FC at Melbourne Cricket Ground on July 23, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Pat Scala/Getty Images)
Photo by Pat Scala/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Young Spanish center back Carlos Blanco Moreno cranked home a long distance goal in Saturday’s International Champions Cup match between Juventus and Melbourne Victory.

[ MORE: Kolo to Celtic ]

Ex-Barcelona man Blanco, 20, brought down a substandard clearance from Melbourne goalkeeper Lawrence Thomas, took a touch, and blasted a shot over the 24-year-old Australian backstop.

Melbourne would draw level before going on to win the match in penalty kicks, but this was the highlight of the match.

Kolo Toure undergoing medical ahead of Rodgers reunion at Celtic

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - MAY 13:  Kolo Toure of Liverpool talks during the Liverpool UEFA Europa League Cup Final Media Day at Melwood Training Ground on May 13, 2016 in Liverpool, England.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sky Sports reports that longtime Liverpool defender Kolo Toure has found a home under his former manager.

The 35-year-old center back was released by the Reds this summer, and is undergoing a medical ahead of joining Brendan Rodgers at Celtic.

[ MORE: Sunderland hires Moyes ]

Toure joined Liverpool from Manchester City in 2013, one year after Rodgers took the helm at Anfield.

The move would be Celtic’s second signing under Rodgers, as the Glasgow side added French forward Moussa Dembele from Fulham earlier this summer.